Are you related to any FAMOUS people?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Are you related to any FAMOUS people?
By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I just thought this topic would be interesting! So let's hear it... Are you like a 12th cousin to so-and-so superstar, president, war general, celebrity, athlete, etc. I've heard of people being descendants of some US presidents. I have a classmate who's surname is "Muir" (she is related to John Muir).

As for me, I'm related to Dr. José Rizal (1861-1896), a reformer for a more open society in the Philippines. He's the national hero of the Philippines (he also appears on Philippine money). He is my great great grandparent's cousin (or something like that). Most people probably haven't heard of him, except for some devout history buffs. He is very celebrated and esteemed in the Philippines and some parts of China. Some people in Spain and parts of Europe probably have heard of him as well. (Also in some Filipino communities in the United States, i.e. there is a Rizal street in San Francisco and a Rizal Park in Seattle, there could be more).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Rizal

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I'm a descendant of Mary Custis.

By Killertofu (Killertofu) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

No. But my best friend is Fanasia Barrino's cousin.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I'm Tim Allen's nephew.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Jenesaispas: Really? Do you see him at family gatherings and stuff.

Ariesathena: What state are you from?

killertofu: Cool beans

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

My great grandfather's brother founded the Rotary Club, Paul Harris, but few people have heard of him.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's the truth. But's he's not's actually's a's famous's person's. I just like to say, "I'm Tim Allen's nephew." *Sigh*

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

That side of the family is from Virginia - but moved to NY, and from there, I'm in Boston. But it's a Virginia connection - my aunt moved back there to do geneaological research.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Jenesaispas: That reminds me.. so many people share names with celebs. ie this magazine article from before interviewed an average joe who happened to be named "Josh Hartnett". He said a great many girls have called him and stalked him, thinking he was the famous Hartnett. Also, there are many Jennifer Lopez's and one of them said people paid more attention to her resume when she was applying for a job as a news anchor somewhere.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

My dad's side of the family, I dont know exactly how far up but great great grandfather I think it was.... anyway he was a head advisor to the Romanoff family

I think thats so cool!! Maybe I am secretely related to the Romanoffs?!

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Ah! Inbred hemophiliac! Get away from me! Oh, and this is kinda off-topic, but has that smiley face always been in the upper left-hand corner of the page?

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Gerald Levert...from the...never mind...we are all to young to know who he is.

By Girlforever101 (Girlforever101) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

I'm related to to Jesse & Frank James (the outlaws). They're like the nephews of my great-great grandfather, there might be another great in there, I'm not sure. I need to take a look at the family tree again.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

jenesaispas: i think that smiley face isnew *Scratches head*

girlforever: awesome! haha jesse james of all those westerns

magoo: how are you related to Gerald Levert?

rachelvishy: amazing! i was always interested in anastacia and the romanov's... is your dad russian?

By Killertofu (Killertofu) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Gerald Levert...from the...never mind...we are all to young to know who he is. >>

I know exactly who he is.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

I'm related to President Garfield (shortest term in office ever! Woohoo!), James Caldwell (one of the five killed in the Boston Massacre), and also to James C. Calhoun (only vice president ever to resign). Guess what the "C" stands for? Caldwell. Guess what my middle name is? Caldwell. My mom gave me my middle name because it's her maiden name. I think I win for the most historical relations. Oh yeah!

By Loop123 (Loop123) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

I'm a descendant of Sir Francis Drake.

By Lame (Lame) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

Sir Issac Newton is my great great (idk how many times) uncle.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

gerald levert? some french actor? O.o

wow Drake and Newton! impressive haha

everyone else too =)

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

Quote:

I'm related to President Garfield (shortest term in office ever! Woohoo!), James Caldwell (one of the five killed in the Boston Massacre), and also to James C. Calhoun (only vice president ever to resign). Guess what the "C" stands for? Caldwell. Guess what my middle name is? Caldwell. My mom gave me my middle name because it's her maiden name. I think I win for the most historical relations. Oh yeah!

Okay, perhaps we all need a refresher in history.

Shortest term in the History of the United States Presidency: William Henry Harrison. 30 days.

Other Veeps who've resigned from office: Spiro Agnew.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:17 am: Edit

Calidan: I thought it was "John" C Calhoun... he's the vehement southerner with andrew jackson right

loop and lame: impressive :)

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

William Tecumseh Sherman (raizer of Georgia in the Civil War) is my great-great-great uncle.

Roger Sherman (helped write the Constitution) is my something great great something more greats grandfather.

yEy.

By Hayden (Hayden) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

Ariesathena: how are you related to Mary Custis? I am too (related, no descended), so I'm interested !

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

Oh geez... I'll have to call my grandfather to get the answer. It's my late grandmother's family, either MC's first children or her brother or something. I do know that a bunch of people in the family tree were named (first name) George Washington Parker for a while.

By Ktsmo (Ktsmo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

I'm related to Simon Kenton! The kind of unknown frontier guy who was basically an off brand version of Daniel Boone lol

By F3arxn03vil (F3arxn03vil) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

My 6th or so cousin is Joe Mantegna(actor... The Godfather...Joan of Arcadia...)

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Usher and I may have some link someone, like cousins removed 15-20 times. My brother has the same eyes and nose and lots of other guys in the family have the same features.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

crazylicious- both my parents are from Russia ! I'm 100% russian - wooooo

By Waffle (Waffle) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

I'm related to a nobel prize winner, though he is controversial and I want to avoid flames, since the process he created let to very good things and very bad things.

I'll just say he was a friend of Albert Einstein.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

both my parents are from Russia ! I'm 100% russian - wooooo

I don't know how to say this without being forward, but I saw in another thread you said you were Jewish. Every Jewish person I meet says they're Russian; are you sure you're Russian? I think most Jews are just Slavic.

By Waffle (Waffle) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Most American Jews are of Ashkenasic descent, so they come from Europe and Russia, and since Russia is such a large country, many Jews come from there.

I'm Jewish and am extremely mixed up in race.
I'm German, Hungarian, Russian, and Belarusian/Polish.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

uh, yes-- but when you think about ancestry(like your grt grt grt grandpappy), the relation is so far distant, is almost silly to talk about.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

i know... :) i just wish it was for certain true but i think it might be closer though.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Adam and Eve. But that's obvious (if you believe).

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Well damn. I should have checked all that. And yes, it is John... that was dumb. How embarassing... LOL. I forgot all of my history after school ended. Everyone can just forget what I said- but I am related to them! Eep.

PS- this webiste should really check its facts: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/B/calhoun/jcc.htm

By Burnasiancorpse (Burnasiancorpse) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Stalin.

Through grandaunt or something like that.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

King William of Orange.

whatever.

By Wasprep (Wasprep) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

George Washington--Society of Cincinatti

President Taft--Mother's Side

President Grant--Mother's Side

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

sorry guys we cant talk about this because we must even FURTHER obsess over college instead of having fun, right? :(

Did anyone notice this thread being closed? Sorry to cause you such suffering, rachelv.

<moderator>

By Killertofu (Killertofu) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

sorry guys we cant talk about this because we must even FURTHER obsess over college instead of having fun, right? >>

Unfortunately. I wish someone would start a new board where we could talk about un-collegiate stuff.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

killer my email is <EDITED>

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

Killertofu, if you really start to start one, email me. I would still say at College Confi. but use the other for non college related subjects.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

wait actually there is such a board killer I'll find the address

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

moderator, its not suffering, and we arent mad at you, its just that we dont have anywhere to go- we are stranded :)

Do NOT post links to other boards here. I am sorry you are so bored and have nothing at all to do with your time. You sound a little like a 6-year old.

<moderator>

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

huh? board killer....

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

"there is such a board, killer[tofu]..."

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

I emailed you at your gmail rachel.

By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Gah. My family just comes from a bunch of poor Irish farmers :). I THINK we may be related to Alexander Grahm Bell. I get asked a lot if I'm related to Corey Feldman though...maybe I should start saying "yes".

By Demingy (Demingy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I heard a while back that I'm related to one of the "inventors" of Tang. Yeah, fascinating stuff......

I wish I knew of a real famous person, but if they are there it is *really* distant.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

directly descended from Roger Williams... you know that cool guy that founded the smallest state in the country.
also semi-distantly related to the Rockefellers.

By Dolce (Dolce) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Grandmother was a sister-in-law of Lawrence Welk.
Also, our neighbor's brother is married to Meryl Streep. (who just happens to be one of my favorite actresses).

By Aussie_Girl (Aussie_Girl) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:23 am: Edit

my maternal great-grandmother was pure french, and she used to say that we were descendants of charlemagne :) that's pretty cool

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:01 am: Edit

Well, this is sort of a shot in the dark, but seeing as they have the same quite unique name as me, (Stochaj), through research I have found that I may be related to some guy who had a very big part in the Human Genome Project as well as a professor at the University of New Mexico. I may be wrong, but to me with a name like that it is rather likely. Also, when I was younger my mom told me that we are related to the Indian guy in the Village People, no joke.

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:34 am: Edit

my second cousin is Helena Bonham Carter, she's a British actress, but some mainstreem American movies she's in are Fight Club (she's Marla, the only main female) Big Fish and Planet of the Apes ...she lives with Tim Burton (the director) and they have a son, Billy.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:05 am: Edit

I'm also like sort of related to a Portuguese soccer player who is playing on one of the main club teams there. But it's like my mom's sister's husband's family.

By Jimster0489 (Jimster0489) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

I'm related to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Cochin (aunt's nephew).

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I'm related to the guy who wrote the Israeli anthem, but he's not really famous, is he?

By Britbrat8604 (Britbrat8604) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

fathers side -that "stonewall" jackson guy...i dont know his real name though

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Andrew Jackson. He was a President, come on.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Um, I don't think so. Britbrat8604 is referring to Stonewall Jackson, aka Thomas Jefferson Jackson, the Civil War (Confederate) general and hero. He was a damn good general, and whether that was through stubborness or skill, we'll never know.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Oh, I thought Andrew Jackson was the Confederate General as well. Sorry about that.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

My father's cousin is the ex-Prime Minister of Dominica (Pierre Charles), the country of our origin.

I guess he's somewhat famous.

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Im friends with Jimmy Page's nephew...

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

I thought Jimmy Page was an only child . . .

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:11 am: Edit

his wife's sister's son and daughters

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

My grandfather (S. Prestley Blake) founded Friendly's Ice Cream (with his brother). And I'm also related to some famous reporter in Colombia, I can't remember his name right now.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page