GO KEN!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: GO KEN!
By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Woot! I'm rooting for you.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Quite impressive...just won another 75 k on Friday...think now he has over 1.3 million dollars.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

i think he will snap if he gets an answer wrong...or alex will snap, and hurt ken(i don't know why he is irritated with ken...HIS RATINGS HAVE GONE UP...and he didn't have to get naked to do this)

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

because alex is actually really dumb and barely knows how to read the questions
he tries to compensate by hanging out with smart people all day

By Tongos (Tongos) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

this guy is amazing, i havent watched jepardy in years, but yesterday, nothing on tv, so i happened to watch it. he made 75,000 in one night. he must have a photographic memory or something. he was much better than the other competitors, i think he may live for a long time.

By Jello_Froggie (Jello_Froggie) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

i've been watching ken for quite some time now...
it really is freaky how he comes up with the answer the second the question is asked. i believe he may be an alien. or he just really enjoyed learning every possible miscellaneous fact out there...crazy.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

we also had an old thread about jeopardy king ken: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/68281/74917.html

"Aarhat (Aarhat) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

As everyone is really intrigued:

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=162272

The episodes were filmed several months ago. "

By Over30 (Over30) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

An article in the newspaper today said that they're going on summer hiatus beginning Monday, and the rest of Ken's shows won't be on until September.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Over30: really? that sucks and won't help their ratings

By Vancat (Vancat) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Guys, i think he is being given the answers.

;)

By Toesover04 (Toesover04) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

On Jeopardy, the contestants can't buzz in until Alex has finished reading the question. Ken is a smart dude, and knows all the answers, but he also reads the question to himself faster that Alex can read it out loud. So... he buzzes in with the answer before the other contestants even have a chance to think about it. That's his strategy

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I heard you were banned, Magoo, but in case not, and to anyone else, Ken has actually gotten a good deal of questions wrong. He's run plenty of categories, but he also gets plenty of questions wrong, at least ten a game, I'd say.

I myself figure out plenty of the answers before the question is finished being read, but it doesn't seem to me that anyone ever buzzes in the way that everyone is seeming to think he does. He may be more sure of the question, but as you can see whenever other contestants answer instead of him, it often comes down to who is quicker on their buzzer by a split second.

He's a smart guy though. Hope we don't have another Charles Van Doren sort of thing just staring us in the face. By the way, he made either $72,000 or $73,000, I think, but I may be wrong.

Alex isn't very dumb either, it seems. He apparently can pronounce most of the non-English words correctly, and he also elaborates on really obscure questions sometimes. I don't think that's all just because of cue cards.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

you know its gets really tiring up there,on the tonight show he said that he tapes 5 shows right after each other so there is really no time to study or get focused at all, and i think he won 75k,the person who i think will beat him will be Ben jennings,his roomate from BYU who was at the same quiz show as he is;lol

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Ben vs. Ken...Sounds like a pay-per-view special already...

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Here's something I found about the guy on another site:

"Everyone knows the 'story' Jeopardy is telling, but heres the real story...
Ken was a computer programer/tech support with Sony Pictures Entertainment Company, the parent company to Sony Pictures Television, which produces Jeopary. He was fired by Sony for inappropriate use of company resources. (He was using their servers to run his own web-based business, but thats a whole other story). So anyway, Ken was able to come up with some strange company policy loopholes and had a beautiful case against Sony for what he called his "wrongful termination". He met with VP David Hendler and they struck a deal to prevent Ken from suing Sony. Heres a quick overview of their agreement. Ken was able to show that had he settled out of court with Sony, the likely payout would have been $2 million+. Had the case been heard in court, he could have taken Sony for upwards of $4 million (much of that going to cover Ken's legal fees). Ken had always wanted to be a contestant on Jeopardy, but wasn't allowed because he was an employee of Sony. No longer an employee, he now had his chance, but would have to wait until the next regular season began taping after Labor Day. To drop the case, David agreed to get Ken onto the show and allow him several weeks to make some money on the show. The agreement stated that Ken will continue to win shows and remain the champion until he has earned at least $1.75 million dollars, and won at least 47 consecutive shows, setting a new record for most wins on a game show. Ken is a really smart man in his own right, and the shows producers only tell him the correct answers to 85% of the questions before the show is taped. Mr. Jennings is confident enough that once he has gone past the 47 shows and is no longer receiving the answers, he can continue on his own to earn over $2.18 million, the all-time record for winnings by a game show contestant. If you are a fan of Ken and/or the show, I won't post anymore information here."

It's not an official source, but I still found it somewhat interesting. This guy says you can e-mail him and he'll tell you the day Ken loses and what his final earnings will be.

Interpret it as you will.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

What site did you get that from? I myself would like to email the guy and see what happens. It's believable when you think about it, but there are always hoaxes and such.

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

The "story" is just the private posting of a guy on a forum (burningdoor.com). Zero credibility....

=

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

It was a definition on urbandictionary.com. (Yeah, that lowers it's credibility by 5 points alone.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page