Simpsons = god

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Simpsons = god
By Pink17 (Pink17) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

okay so I'm pretty sure that most people would agree with me that the simpsons is a pretty hilarious and witty show. One thing that i cant stop thinking about though, is that I remember that the exact location (state) of springfield was always undsclosed, and a long on going joke - they kept starting to say and then were interrupted. but last night i was watching a rerun of the 'behind the laughter' episode (proabbly 2 years old or so) and the narrator plainly stated, 'this northern kentucky family'. so... the simpsons are from north kentucky?? somehow that seems so off. but i guess anywhere would be, they are, after all, yellow.

By Allena (Allena) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

Kentucky does have blue people, but no yellow people last I looked.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

Isnt the rival town springdale? I just looked on maps.yahoo and there are 128 miles between springfield and springdale, ky.. but they do both exist. Go figure.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

HMMM...perplexicating.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

No, shellbyville

By Smhop (Smhop) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:12 am: Edit

Duh! what am I thinking of then?

too late- too tired

maps.yahoo says no shellbyville.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:14 am: Edit

not perplexicating...i think...yes, tooooo tiiireeed

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:45 am: Edit

springfield, kY and shelbyville, KY are 46 miles away.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:51 am: Edit

They live in the same town where Walt Whitman (I think) was buried.

The episode where Homer finds his mother, he trips over Walt Whitman's grave.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:54 am: Edit

I found this on a website:

The Simpsons are from New Jersey!

The key episode is the one where Homer is reunited with his mother.

The episode begins with Homer using a life-sized dummy to fake his own death. He then takes the day off, but problems arise because everyone thinks he is dead. To clear up the confusion, Homer goes to the records building to clarify he is very alive, to get the power and water back on, etc. In the course of examining his records, he finds out his mother is still alive.

To see if this is indeed true, Homer walks out of the building to find what he thought was his motherís grave. It turns out it is Walt Whitmanís grave.

Walt Whitman was buried in New Jersey. If Homer could see the grave from the records office, he had to be in New Jersey, and he had to live there if his records were kept there.

Aside from this UNDENIABLE evidence, there are plenty of little hints that would coincide with this conclusion.

Springfield (in the show) has snowfall as well as warm summers, just like on the East Coast.

Mayor Quimby has a New Englander/Kennedy Accent.

The Simpsons have access to the wilderness (the Rockies) and access to shoreline. The shoreline is probably to the Atlantic Ocean. Remember when Homer eats the psycho pepper and is taken on a vision quest? In the end he breaks the lamp in the lighthouse, and a shipping boat full of hot pants runs aground. Very little shipping is done, if at all, on American lakes, especially with a ship that size. (Most would use the rail system or semi-trucks.) It must be an ocean, then, and thus it is the Atlantic.

Thereís probably more evidence, keep watching the Simpsons and see if you can spot some more!

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

ding ding ding, nice job tropicana. you've discovered my family's long-kept secret!!

By Bellevueteen (Bellevueteen) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

What about that episode where Homer "steals" a nuclear submarine and heads WEST to Russian waters? There's no set location, because of too much contradictary evidence.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

People, people, people...

Please. The Simpsons transcend any simple real-life state or city label. They don't live in New Jersey, Kentucky, Missouri, or Oz for that matter. They live in Springfield. Just plain Springfield. And that's all that matters.

And for every piece of evidence you find for a certain state or place, there are dozens of examples that contradict it.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I totally agree. The Simpsons live in Springfield, USA.

By Pink17 (Pink17) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

yeah i guess i have to agree that they don't live anywhere, because armed with the 'northern kentucky' information, i discovered that on a rerun the location was changed to southern missouri. the creators are just pulling a fast one on us. springfield is anytown usa.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

List of all the Springfield's in the USA:

Springfield, CO (pop. 1562)
Springfield, FL (pop. 8810)
Springfield, GA (pop. 1821)
Springfield, IL (pop. 111454)
Springfield, KY (pop. 2634)
Springfield, LA (pop. 395)
Springfield, ME (pop. 379)
Springfield, MA (pop. 152082)
Springfield, MI (pop. 5189)
Springfield, MN (pop. 2215)
Springfield, MO (pop. 151580)
Springfield, NE (pop. 1450)
Springfield, NH (pop. 945)
Springfield, NJ (pop. 14429)
Springfield, NY (pop. 1350)
Springfield, OH (pop. 65358)
Springfield, OR (pop. 52864)
Springfield, PA (pop. 23677)
Springfield, SC (pop. 504)
Springfield, SD (pop. 792)
Springfield, TN (pop. 14329)
Springfield, VT (pop. 9078)
Springfield, VT (pop. 3938)
Springfield, VA (pop. 30417)
Springfield, WI (pop. 2762)
Springfield, WI (pop. 567)
Springfield, WI (pop. 628)
Springfield, WI (pop. 808)

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

hmmm...access to the rockies from new jersey...don't you mean the appalacian's...the rockies are like 1500 miles east.

sorry, just had to point that out.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

The writers intended that there is no actual place, and I have proof. They live in a city near the beach, with snowfall, and a drive out of the city takes them into the brown desert (which eliminates the east coast since there is no desert there). Also, it must be near Las Vegas, since they drive there (Ned and Homer get married there). Beach, Desers, and Las Vegas = west coast, but it doesnt snow anywhere on the west coast on the beach, at least very very rarly.

By Allena (Allena) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Not to mention in one of the shows Homer goes to West Springfeild, which is 3 times the size of Texas... Not many places that I can think of that are inclusive in 1 state that are three times the size of Texas.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

yeah...i second that, the springfield of the simpsons is supposed to be Anytown, USA.

IT COULD BE WHERE YOU LIVE...wait, no i can't it simply does no exist.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

oh. ok then.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Not to mention in one of the shows Homer goes to West Springfeild, which is 3 times the size of Texas...

Wasn't ti in the shape of texas too?

By Phantom (Phantom) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

btw, about the "northern kentucky family" line, I've heard that they change that line in every rerun, referring to different states each time.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Matt Groening is just screwing with the minds of everyone who attempts to figure out where Springfield is.

By Fyre (Fyre) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Ok this is kinda funny...cuz I too have always pondered this question. However, I thought it was answered in one of those behind the camera shows the simpsons did. Pink17 are sure they said Kentucky, cuz I heard it clear as bell, "this southern Missouri family..." I mean my ears perked up at this, because well...I live in Missouri. Which, not that I mention it, uh Missouri is nowhere near ever getting a hurricane.

So my final question for y'all is.. Have any others of you seen these behind the scenes shows? Cuz maybe the pick a different state each time.

By the way...nice evidence towards Jersey!

Odd. Matt is a genius!

By Pink17 (Pink17) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

yes, like I said before, apparently the states vary each time on that same "behind the laughter" episode. those tricksters!!!

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

NO NO NO....

Springfield cannot be on the East Coast!

all of the radio stations on the Simpsons begin with K....e.g. KBBL.

on the East Coast all of the Radio Stations begin with W.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

i have a Quicki Mart in my hometown, its called a 7-11!!

By Phantom (Phantom) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

ooh, pink, i totally missed what you said before. sorry for the redundancy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page