Colored collar? um...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Colored collar? um...
By Jeank (Jeank) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

so whats the difference between white collared workers and blue collared workers? i've even heard of pink collars...but i donno..

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

White collared people are usually the ones who work in nice offices and stuff. Blue collared workers are ones who are out doing physical work (like construction), or less "skilled" jobs.

It's just basically another way of saying upperclass and lowerclass.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

Ouch! I don't know if it is the difference between upper and lower class! It is probably the difference between middle class and working class.

upper= your money works for you

middle= professional degree or other business related work (management, sales, accounting, etc)

working=tradesman (plumbers, technicians, mechanics, construction workers, factory employees, waiters, municipal employees,)

lower= welfare assited, poverty level.

Upperclass and middle class are considered "white collar"

Working class is considered "blue collar"

"Pink collar" is relatively new, it refers to jobs traditionally held by women secretaries. Such as office work, file clerks, receptionists.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

hmmm, i never heard of pink color its probably making refence to the definition of a white / blue color worker...

notice how people in physical, non-specified skilled jobs usually wear darker colored clothes its stems from the old tradition i guess of aristocracy weaing white because they can afford to keep it clean...compared to workers who wear blue to keep from stains.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

In our world there are blue collars, white collars, and popped collars.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

bahahahahaaa

By Smhop (Smhop) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

Actually, blue was the first dye known to man -- from the indigo plants. It is referenced in the bible (color of arc of the covenent). It was even used in ancient Egpyt and Rome (the romans thought it had medicinal qualities). It was very costly in Europe in the middle ages and beyond, due to the fact that it had to be imported; Thus, blue was the color of the upper class and aristocracy.

It is also the original color of levi's blue Denim/jeans

How blue came to represent the common, I do not know... but I imagine that as synthetic dyes became more popular at the turn of the last century (1900) the old indigo blue became cheap and commonplace. I assume the wealthy could afford fancier fare, while the working class stuck to the blue.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

PURGE: that was totally funny.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

hmmm, yes u are right...the phoenecians and other cultures that u mentioned did put dark blues on a pedistal...however, white classifies as aristocratic in a lot of societies around the world for the reasons i mentioned (easily stained thus only wealthy people could wear pure white gowns and other clothes.)

even in the old fashion...law, i guess: no white after labor day...why? well, traditionally people would get it muddy and dirty while working or being in the drudgery of a city.

i also think that the blue came from uniforms that were mandated by wealthy business owners...

hmmm...i wish some sort of expert can give us the origin and evolution of this concept...its interesting (and i love hist.)

By Smhop (Smhop) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

Grrr! Lost my post.\

Here is some random stuff on color from the web:

Wardrobe shades before the late 1800s were often limited by custom and law

In ancient Rome, color fashion denoted social status. Slaves and the lowest class, freedmen, dressed in un-dyed cloth, without decoration or additional layers. Citizens, those who were born free but held no office, wore plain, un-dyed wool togas, although their tunics could be dyed or embroidered. Colorful trim was reserved for nobility, public office, or rank and victory in the military. It was not uncommon for a man in a gold-embroidered, purple toga to be saluted and praised by strangers who knew by his garments that he was a general recently returning triumphant from war. But, for average citizens to wear colors beyond their station was risking punishment of a severity that could mean slavery or death.

In ancient China, belief held that the universe was made of five elements, depicted by symbolic colors. At the turn of the first century, it became custom for emperors to adopt one of the elements as a symbol for their dynasty and to clothe themselves in its corresponding color. The first emperor of the Sui Dynasty (581-618) chose yellow, the color for earth, and succeeding dynasties retained it, considering it to be the most powerful. Down through the ages, yellow became the emperors’ color, a symbol of privilege that remained potent through the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

Likewise, colors exclusive to age-old religious rites still flavor our customs of today. In India and China, wedding parties will most likely wear red. In present day Pennsylvania, an Amish bride will wear a simple, unassuming blue dress, reflecting a cultural desire for simplicity in living to foster devotion in their faith. An Amish bride’s wedding dress will often be the same dress she wears to weekly church service after she is married.

The old European custom of wearing black in mourning has been adopted by many countries but, in less global times, the color for mourning was blue in Iran, white in Greece, and in Thailand, widows wore purple.

Pilgrim men did not wear black breeches, square white collar and cuffs, wide buckled belts, black steeple hats with a buckle, nor did Pilgrim women wear full black skirts, white aprons and dark capes. Puritan adults in Boston may have worn these clothes on formal occasions after 1632, but in 1621 the Pilgrims wore entirely different clothing. Pilgrim adults and children wore bright solid colors since their religion did not object to colorful clothing. They had many dyes so that red, green, beige, burgundy, blue, violet, as well as brown and black were worn.

** I could not find anything about the white you mention... but I imagine that the corse fabrics worn by the poor (wools and hemp) were certainly not white, and likely the only dye to cover those ugly browns would have been the indigo dyes. Likewise, better fabrics, silk, cotton, bleached wool, would have been naturally white... and these better fabrics were certainly only affordable by the wealthy.

Maybe you can find something? It is interesting.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

this was pretty interesting...it defends what u said earlier about darker clothes being to expensive to wear fot lower class...and how they would show off their exotic clothes...it ALSO mentions how white (CLEAN) was a symbol of purity reserved for virgins and and those who displayed virtous values: quick read.

http://www.holycross.edu/departments/visarts/projects/kempe/town/whiteclo.htm

A-HA!! found it :)...thank goodness for Google

"Before 1800, men's fashions were as elaborate and subject to variation as women's. However, the combined political and industrial revolutions that occurred brought about dramatic changes in men's lives. The development of democratic political institutions and a rising middle class made it less desirable to flaunt wealth or aristocratic status through elaborate dress. This change concurred with the demands of the new industrial system which stressed uniformity and a conservative, essentially bourgeois corporate structure that called for a formal, but unassuming "professional" appearance. Those who joined, or aspired to join the professional world donned its uniform-- the business suit. This basic ensemble - white shirt, tie, vest, jacket and trousers in black or a dark color-- has been worn by middle class men with only gradual changes of detail and silhouette-- for nearly two hundred years."

http://char.txa.cornell.edu/art/dress/historic/babyboom/babyboom.htm

i need to go to bed!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page