Why did Bush knock down the towers?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Why did Bush knock down the towers?
By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Pretty controversial line from Jadakiss's new song, "why?"

Not asking if you agree with the line or not because it is fairly safe to say its untrue (conspiracists stay out of this one)

However the song has created a lot of hype in the papers as the line has been edited out of the song by many radio stations across the nation (all except for in nyc i believe)

Do you agree with the move or not? I feel it is an infringment upon his free speech

On a side note, many are viewing all the controversy as a victory for hip hop. The music is proving to become more and more politically aware. Kerry recongizes this and even made a statement some months back about how the lyrics of hip hop are important and should be heard.

By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Look, radio stations edit songs all the time. First of all, if a radio station played this song with that line in it, many people would stop listening to the radio station. The radio station isn't censoring this line because it wants to infringe on people's right to free speech, but because it wants to stay in business.

Sheesh, you liberals think everything is censorship.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Personally, I think he shouldn't have put that in his song and I'm neo-conservative.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

radio stations edit offensive lyrics (ie. curse words, deragatory comments, etc.)

Typically they do not exclude a whole line, especially when it is just a political assertion.

"First of all, if a radio station played this song with that line in it, many people would stop listening to the radio station"

If that is true then how do you explain the fact that the two radio stations who kept the line in the song (hot 97 and power 105) are both nyc based. If the line were to be deemed offensive, it would be most offensive to those living in nyc and its surrounding regions.

Therefore the only reason for these out of state radio stations to exclude the line is politically motivated. Which is unfair and partial.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

posion,

hip hop is a nice break from political corectness... if jadakiss really believes that then he is 100% correct in putting it in his song. The music derives from and runs on people who say what they think.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

"First of all, if a radio station played this song with that line in it, many people would stop listening to the radio station"

If that is the case they should just stop playing the song altogether.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Personally I think Jadakiss and everyone like him should be shipped to Mississippi, but I still support freedom of speech...even in this case.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

However the song has created a lot of hype in the papers as the line has been edited out of the song by many radio stations across the nation (all except for in nyc i believe)

Radiostations can play what ever they want, so it makes sense. If they were legally required to keep the song off-air, then I'd be mad.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

I never did say he couldn't put it in the song. It will just stir up alot of heated controversy

By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Look, keeping the lyrics in the song might actually help business for some radio stations. For example, if a radio station prizes itself on never censoring material, and then they censor this out, it would hurt their business. Also, no one is forcing these lyrics out. If the CD was banned, or something, THEN it could be considered infringment on free speech. Censorship is NOT the same as infringment on free speech.

By Killertofu (Killertofu) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Personally I think Jadakiss and everyone like him should be shipped to Mississippi, but I still support freedom of speech...even in this case. >>

WTF? Why? Do I even want to know?

By Smhop (Smhop) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

What exactly is the line? Is it the title of this thread? Perhaps radio stations edit it out bc it is politically volatile/possibly offensive/unAmerican. Or perhaps they do not want to be associated with support of one party over another, nor further any conspriracy theories during an election year? Maybe they fear that the FCC will fail to see it as satire? Maybe the group has no business putting forth political ideology, and the radio station is sparing its listeners from uniformed opinion?

Who knows... well, I dont know.. but I haven't been aware of the line until now...so I dont really have an opinion.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic though

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I support Jadawhatever's right to say whatever he/she wants to say, but there seems to be a double-standard with censorship. What if it were a obviously untrue and offensive comment against a different person...maybe Kerry? What if a song came out saying how Kerry had murdered people or anything really serious that would taint his campaign...the news media would go crazy and no liberal would rest until every copy was thrown in the fire, let alone allow it to be played on the radio.

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Who cares what he says? Let the kid have his free speech, let the line stay in.

Most Americans know that it is complete BS to say Bush orchestrated 9/11.

Who cares what some gold-toothed rapper kid has to say about politics anyway? If you say Bush planned 9/11, you should be ignored automatically and treated like a joke.

I also fail to see how this is a "victory for hiphop." If I go make a polka record and say Bush killed JFK, will it be a victory for polka?

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Benjamin -- what you just said is pure speculation and nothing more. Throw something out beyond assumptions.

It may just be me seeing/interpreting the lyric as I want to, but couldn't it be referring to Bush's inability to stop that attack? I'm not sure if there has been any interview or what not.

"The Proud" is a better politicized song anyway.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I think that the lyrics were just a way for him to sell records. Look at how much press this line generated for him. Prior to hearing of the line, I had never heard of Jadakiss.

I think that radio stations have every right to edit out parts of songs they consider offensive. Now if the FCC had restricted Jadakiss's lyrics, I would be worried.

Unless the rappers wish to be viewed as radicals who just spurt out statements until something sticks and then milk it for all its worth, I am not sure if this is a "victory" for the hip hop community.

By Yugekorb (Yugekorb) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I want Bush out of office as much as the next person, but come on. I don't think that one person of intelligence and a clear mind can state this, so why do we care what he has to say? Unless if he gives proof, why should he make a statement like this? I hate getting associated with people like this that make idiotic and random statements. If this is the rapper's attempt to get into politics, just go back to what you were doing before. Please.

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

"just go back to what you were doing before. Please."

Yuge, what was that? Not showering and rapping about killing people?

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

"so why do we care what he has to say? Unless if he gives proof, why should he make a statement like this?"

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "
--Voltaire

Someone made a good point ealier. Jada may very well not have been hinted at a conspiracy but rather just an overall lack of defense

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Even though I think Jadakiss has the right to say whatever he wants in his own songs and that the radio stations shouldn't edit it out, I think he (Jadakiss) loses credibility of his song after these two lines:

Why did Kobe have to hit that raw/ why he have to kiss that whore?

Obviously that is in reference to the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case. You cant get any credit in your song when you say that. Even though personally I think Kobe is innocent and that the accuser was a little promiscuous, you still shouldn't call her a whore. Nevertheless I still have the song on my computer and it has a good beat. So I'll still listen to it anyway. But that's just my addition to this conversation.

By Killertofu (Killertofu) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I think this is blown way out of proportion, but I'm glad it's happening because now Jadakiss (very talented artist) is now a household name.

I love how ppl focus on that one line and ignore the other insightful things he said.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

its stupid to edit that out of the song...im DEFINATELY saying i don't agree with it, but for one:

he has the freedom of speech...who knows that could have been a metaphor for something else...maybe he is referring to something other than the tradgedy of 9/11 (not likely but my point is, just because u don't like the lyrics doesn't mean he should take it out...don't listen to jadakis if u don't agree)

also:
once again, im not saying that he is right, but to have major stations freaking out over this and quietly trying to remove this dialogue from the lyrical conversation shows some form of belief in that this is true...in other words they are only giving weight to his argument by trying to disguise it, and shut him out. i guess u can even go as far as saying that these record companies have some sort of belief they are trying to get rid of (though its far fetched)

yes what happened is a tradgedy, but we can no longer force ourselves to give up certain freedoms in order to not offend a certain few.

plainly put: so what, if u don't like that ONE LINE then turn the station and don't support his record sales.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Scubasteve...GOOD TOPIC :)

i haven't seen to many threads created by you, keep it up :)

oh, and when i saw the title i said to myself...ugh, that's ridiculous...its probably some conspiracy believer ranting...I GUESS U SHOULD NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER :).

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

"I love how ppl focus on that one line and ignore the other insightful things he said."

Let us review some of this master's thought-provoking lyrics.

Yo, I'm a gangsta, cuz I do gangsta ••••
matter fact from now on call me gangsta Kiss
you already know I handle my business
slay you then your man before the first candle's finished

I'm the motherfuckin big shot, I get down
wit a 17, 16, 10 and a six shot
•••• with Kiss get your wig rocked
and if you're smart you'll bounce when my motherfuckin •••• drop

Let us ponder these lines, and let them bring us wisdom and joy!

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I think you know what he meant Buckojackson so let's not get petty. For example:

Why would ****** push pounds and powder ...
Why all the young is ****** dyin'
Cause they moms at work, they pops is gone, they livin' wit iron
Why they ain't give us a cure for aids

etc., etc.

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

If I go make a "song" with 95% BS about killing and ••••••• women, then 5% just basically reiterates what we all already know, am I a hero?

When you grow up, you'll learn.

I've already participated in discussions like these. You won't change my mind, and I won't change yours. I'm done with this thread...have fun with that ••••.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

i agree with craig... i think that u should look at the lyrics from that particular song...though i see where you are going.

its sad that the one song that has something other to say then

i •••• my b*tch
bling bling i got cash...etc.

is put aside and sometimes censored.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

"When you grow up, you'll learn."

That's just funny -- that affirms my petty comment.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

BAHAHAHAHA.

By Lahhdyydum (Lahhdyydum) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

^^^ ohhh shut the h3ll up. he has more balls than you.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

...alright Lahhdyydumb

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

ummm, I really don't know what to say ... wow. What was that in response to Lahhdyydumb?

By Lahhdyydum (Lahhdyydum) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

im really sorry....the message was directed to buck. you two responded while i was typing. again, sorry.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

OOOPPPSS...once again, crap i did this to ashley not to long ago..

...sorry :)

By Lahhdyydum (Lahhdyydum) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

yep, it's all your fault. you should feel very guilty and never post again. jk

By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

bahahahaha

i was a little shocked...i thought...wtf i didn't say anything that needed guts behind it, just backing someone up.

big misunderstanding...that water is clear now.

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

Right. He has more balls than me. Sure. Fruitless. Bye kids.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

hmmm, looking down on people who are younger than you when YOU are on a forum that is dominated by people between the ages of 16-20...no one invited you...bye old man.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

wow this post has been magoo approved :)

first off:

buckojackon,

"Yo, I'm a gangsta, cuz I do gangsta ••••
matter fact from now on call me gangsta Kiss
you already know I handle my business
slay you then your man before the first candle's finished..etc"

those lyrics are not even from the same song so stop misreprsenting your posts.

Aside from the Bush line, the song also has many noteable lines:

"Why did Kobe have to hit that raw
Why he kiss that whore" (I know it was already said)
Again, if you are offended by the whore comment that is fine, but so be it... that is hip hop. The beauty of it all is that Jada will say what he thinks (personally I agree with him on that line)

..some more lines:

"Why they gotta open your package and read your mail"

"Why they stop lettin' niggaz get degreez in jail"

"Why they let the terminator win the election"

"Why Halle have to let a white man pop her to get a Oscar"

"Why Denzel have to be crooked before he took it"

"Why be on the curb wit a "why lie I need a beer" sign"

"Why all the young niggaz is dyin'
Cause they moms at work, they pops is gone, they livin' wit iron"

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

As much as I love the song, Jada actually emulated it from an old Fedro Starr song... here are the lyrics:

What if Notorious was here? What if he was around?
would all these niggas claim to be king? Who would wear the crown?
Yo, what if 'Pac was still thuggin? What if he was alive?
Would all these niggas still be screamin out "ride or die"!
What if Milli Vanilli's record never skipped on stage?
They'd be the illest con niggas in the game today
Yo, what if Jordan never had Scottie?
What if Sammie never ratted Gotti?
What if New York without Giuliani?
What if Mike Tyson fought Ali in his prime?
What if Will Smith got gangsta, and start cursin rhymes?
What if Erick never met Parrish?
think they'd be makin dollas?
What if they neva made candy paint for Impalas?
my down south niggas'll wil' out,word up
my west coast niggas'll wil' out,word up
What if computers shut down for the Y2K?
What if N.W.A never had Dre?
What if Eminem was black? Would he have sold five mill'?
or would he be 1 out of 5 million rappers with no deal?
What if you had to pay for air?
a dollar a breath
half the hood would fuckin pass out and choke to death
What if hip hop was banned in 52 states?
they'd give you 5 years a piece
for wreckin cd's and tapes
What if the world stopped?
no more time,•••• a watch
What if there's no laws
no jails,and no more cops?

•••• is crazy
•••• I be thinkin about

yo, it's just questions
that I ask myself
when I analyze the world when I'm by myself
I think some bugged out •••• when I'm by myself
drinkin weed smokin hennessee all by myself
its questions...that I ask myself

Yo, what if Snoop was the President? •••• we'd all be high
Blowin chronic in the White House, smoke in the sky
What if they neva made the Coupe 5, what would I drive?
Probably a 430 drop, ruthless, wit buggy eyes
What if Red and Meth freestyled and battled on stage?
What if Daz had bald head and Onyx had braids?
What if history was changed? Slavery reversed
Would black ladies see white boys and clench they purse?
What if Diallo didn't get shot, 41 times?
What if the kids was popular that went to Columbine?
What if Ewing would have dunked it, instead of fading away?
The Knicks woulda been the champs, he wouldnta got traded away
Yo what if +Run+ never met +D+ would I'a been an +MC+?
What if in c-lo You win by rollin 1,2,3?
What if the world stop? No more time, •••• a watch
What if there's no laws, no jails, and no more cops?

•••• is crazy
•••• I be thinkin about

yo, it's just questions
that I ask myself
questions,that I ask myself
its questions...that I ask myself

•••• is crazy,thinkin about

lookin out the window
all I see is rain
feelin the pain
gunshots out my window
ugh,ugh,ugh
anotha nigga gets slayed
wit a mots to big
drinkin this weed
smokin this Hennesey
aint anotha like,me
craazy
•••• all yall
•••• the world
•••• america...

...best lines of the song:
"What if history was changed? Slavery reversed
Would black ladies see white boys and clench they purse?"

"What if the kids was popular that went to Columbine?"

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:24 am: Edit

"Why they didn't make the CL6 wit a clutch"
Soooo true...

By Lahhdyydum (Lahhdyydum) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

no, really, Buck, why don't you come out of your cave and stop being so d@mn narrow minded?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

People, Buck has good points, except he's being singled out because he's targeting a "vulnerable" minority. Black rappers get more than enough perks for their "work"; they don't need to be defended by sympathetic Whites and Asians.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

I think everyone understands Buck's points but I have a huge problem with his condescending attitude. I think that's what people are having a problem with, and it's preventing a reasonable discussion.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Goodchocolate you are def making some boarderline racsit comments in this thread:

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

"Personally I think Jadakiss and everyone like him should be shipped to Mississippi.."

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

"he's being singled out because he's targeting a "vulnerable" minority."

"they don't need to be defended by sympathetic Whites and Asians. "

By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

At least what Goodchocolate wasn't as bad as what Jadakiss said.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

"If I go make a "song" with 95% BS about killing and ••••••• women, then 5% just basically reiterates what we all already know, am I a hero? "

What would be the 5% that we already know?

There are a lot of lyrics that none of us can relate to..instead of scorning at them, try listenting to them with an ear of acceptance.

I think its safe to say that none of us have held a gun, been brought up in a world where they need to sell drugs to survive, live in constant fear of if there will be a "tomorrow"...etc.

It is hard to relate to lyrics that reflect on that, I understand that. However don't dismiss it as total BS just because you can't understand it, that is a little something we call ignorance. And don't frown upon it if it is not delivered to you in a sugar coated way. I listent to the music because I love that all the political corectness that circulates are lifes seemingly does not exist.

(If any of you are going to counter this argument, I will say that yes about 50% of hip hop is commercialized as well... I mean obviously there are certain songs by certain artists that are just made to sell records....however others are actually real and have meaning, that is what should be heard)

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

"By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

At least what Goodchocolate wasn't as bad as what Jadakiss said. "

Are you seriously going to sit there and say that an open political assertion is worse than a racialy motivated one that wishes "certain" people be shipped to Mississippi?

..some people truely live sheltered lifes

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Yes -- certain people; rappers.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

A rapper is no different then the rest of the poverty stricken Americans living in projects (and yes the majority are black)...should they all go to Mississippi too?... because that is how you are making it seem

A lot of the successful rappers have done many good things to help the people living the lifes they once did

And what is the cause of your vendetta against rappers? Why not rock stars or country singers?

By Gidget (Gidget) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

"I understand that. However don't dismiss it as total BS just because you can't understand it, that is a little something we call ignorance. And don't frown upon it if it is not delivered to you in a sugar coated way. I listent to the music because I love that all the political corectness that circulates are lifes seemingly does not exist. "

Well said Scuba Steve

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

What's wrong with Mississippi?

As a resident of the South, I am personally/mortally offended by such a regionalist comment. All Mississippians should hereby boycott Goodchocolate's comments until he resigns in shame.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Purgeofdoors, I'm assuming you're joking, but if you're not, I can easily defend my hatred for Mississippi:

I've lived in Alabama, and I've been to it's next door neighbor quite a few
times. I've seen first hand how horrible it is. It's ranked as the
most unlivable state,
least healthy state,
and in the intelligence
rankings
, only Nevada and New Mexico are behind it. It has the
lowest
percentage
of people aged 25 and older with graduate degrees of any state.
It also is far behind in other educational aspects, which you can easily
find by running a Google search.

And what is the cause of your vendetta against rappers? Why not rock stars or country singers?

As for this jewel -- I hate rappers for the same reason people hate JLo, Brittany Spheres, Jennifer Aniston, etc. I'm not going to spell out the reasons and make myself look like a walking cliche, but it's something like lines of ultra-materialistic, immoral, illogical -- you get the point.

Rock stars are almost as bad, but at least they make music I like. And country singers are generally not very "moviestar-ish".

It's sad that I have to defend my statements on a MESSAGE BOARD. :P

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Goodchocolate...you have just lost any shred of respect i had for you.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

Wait, you had respect for goodchocolate. Wow, he lost mine a while ago.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

Goodchocolate, no. No one's fooled by your parade of statistics for why you said to send them to Mississippi. That's just an obvioulsy racist remark.

Sorry, GoodBigot, your **** has been ruined.

(btw, I'll be on vacation for a week, so if GoodBigot attacks me, please fill in.)

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

will do. :)

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

Bigot? That's it? Aww, I don't have any problem with THAT. :)

Even if I defended my position more, you'd still think I was a bigot or what ever else you think, so I'll leave it alone. :)

If I would have said Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas or Kentucky instead of Mississippi, you would have thought me to be against Southerners, if I said Hawai'i you would have thought me to be against Asians, and if I said New Mexico you would have thought me to be against Hispanics.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I was joking, Goodchocolate. Sarcasm is evidently lost on a thread where the race card has been played.

Although saying "send them to Mississippi" is quite a bit different than picking a state where African Americans were not historically and notoriously abused, imo.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

"If I would have said Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas or Kentucky instead of Mississippi, you would have thought me to be against Southerners, if I said Hawai'i you would have thought me to be against Asians, and if I said New Mexico you would have thought me to be against Hispanics. "

Your reason behind choosing Mississippi is obvious. Most rappers are black. So your defense is that by pure subconcious coincidence you happened to choose one of the most historically racist states in the country?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

It wasn't a coincidence; I showed you why I hated the state. I hate rappers, so I'd want to them to go to a state I hate. Again, I didn't mean it seriously.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

i think you did...and as for... "If I would have said Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas or Kentucky instead of Mississippi, you would have thought me to be against Southerners, if I said Hawai'i you would have thought me to be against Asians, and if I said New Mexico you would have thought me to be against Hispanics. "

do you know why someone would accuse you of this regardless of the state...its because of you demeanor which at times does come off slightly egregious...its not like people are out to get you....i have read a lot of your posts, and every time i try not to judge because i don't know you but you make it impossible to see the positive with comments like:

"Personally I think Jadakiss and everyone like him should be shipped to Mississippi.."
every one like him???
SHIPPED???
mississippi???

Then:
"People, Buck has good points, except he's being singled out because he's targeting a "vulnerable" minority. Black rappers get more than enough perks for their "work"; they don't need to be defended by sympathetic Whites and Asians."

First of all, who said that every last rapper artist is black,
Then you point out work to lessen their creations because you don’t like rap.
I wont even go into the “sympathetic whites and asians” as if this has anything to do with the topic…which is SPEECH CENSORSHIP…so you are saying let people infringe on his rights, its ok because BLACK RAPPERS get paid well anyways…as for being paid, this isn’t true…many rap artists work for years barely making money to pay bills. Some of those who do make it go to the big record companies where they are told to perform a certain formula the same formula that they have a lot of other artists (IN ANY GENRE) follow…sex it up, and flash cash

"As for this jewel -- I hate rappers for the same reason people hate JLo, Brittany Spheres, Jennifer Aniston, etc. I'm not going to spell out the reasons and make myself look like a walking cliche, but it's something like lines of ultra-materialistic, immoral, illogical -- you get the point."

ok, fine you don't like rap...however, to make yourself clear you would be better off saying: i don't like the materialism in POP music these days...its ok to not like rap, but you just decided to bring that in randomly...the question was asking:

"Do you agree with the move or not [radio censorship]? I feel it is an infringment upon his free speech"

furthermore, NOT ALL RAPPERS AND ARTISTS ARE: immoral, materialistic, illogical…etc…you are stereotyping these artists and chosing to ignore the times when they decide to express their political beliefs.

THEN, on top of this you make excuses for people who aren’t rappers.
“Rock stars are almost as bad, but at least they make music I like. And country singers are generally not very ‘moviestar-ish’.”

“It's sad that I have to defend my statements on a MESSAGE BOARD. :P"”
first off its not that sad, because you kept coming back ignoring the issue pointing out why AN ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE WERE WRONG.
…black rappers
…certain people

ugh…still don’t have my respect, and that sad especially since I’ve never met you…

to make you feel better let me say this…its not that you are a bigot…its just that you lack any decent amount of social tact...

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

do you know why someone would accuse you of this regardless of the state...its because of you demeanor which at times does come off slightly egregious...its not like people are out to get you

I do have to admit, I am paranoid.

who said that every last rapper artist is black

Jadakiss is a rapper, he's black, and they're defending him.

This "debate" is over. At least Magoo took the time to tell me exactly what I said wrong, unlike the knee-jerk "RACIST!" name-caller Scubasteve. I do admit I have certain tendencies that may make me look "racist", but it's such an ambiguous term. I will say I disagree with the way racial equality is trying to be achieved, and don't think it will ever succeed. Does that make me a racist? You decide, but I'm not wasting any more time on this thread!

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:38 am: Edit

that lyric is worse than anything Michael Moore has ever said/done.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

"At least Magoo took the time to tell me exactly what I said wrong, unlike the knee-jerk "RACIST!" name-caller Scubasteve."

I never called you racist... I actually approached you very nicely and simply stated that some of the comments you are making can come off as a bit racist....and even gave you examples

Magoo is 100% correct, but do you really need him to explain to you the questionable comments you made? If you honestly read over some of your posts nothing sticks out to you?

...and yes I will call you a name this time, but I will give you a choose between two:

you are either the most accepting, non racist person in the world... so open with the whole subject, that making comments about shipping folks to Mississippi is not black and white, but rather pure objectiveness on your behalf

or

you are a racist in hiding, trying to cover your ass now that you have received a fury of dissenting opinions...yet you make a pitiful attempt to do this by claiming retardation and inability to comprehend readings, specifically your own. (Magoo maybe he can pay you to be his reading tutor)

But enough... the song has gotten old by now as have you and this thread

By Hepidy (Hepidy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Because Clear Channel probaly runs that radio station, its just like howard stern being censored because he spoke out on Bush. Oprah said the same thing about "tossing salad's" that Stern did, but with no ramifications. Then again I'm way Liberal so maybe my point is a little slanted.

By Coqui (Coqui) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

jadakiss's song "why" sux. the only reason he wrote it was to cause "controversy". he's not saying anything that hasn't been said before so what the F**king big deal. he's just a rapper tring to cause a commototion so he can be viewed as "bold" or some s**t and sell a bunch of records. haven't listened to his cd but 5 bucks says the rest of his song's are about hoes.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

Let's get a few things straight.

1. Rap sucks.
2. Rap is crap.
3. Modern rappers are retarded.
4. Modern rap lyrics are retarded.
5. Rap sucks. Period. End of Discussion.

Oh and I don't bother listening to this "controversial" crap that rappers are talking about. I just let it flow in one ear and right out the other. I honestly have better things to do.

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

is it me or is kerry doing absolutely anything to get noticed. i thought it was a joke when i saw him on that boat with like 13 of his "war buddies" he's such a joke anymore...

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

what most people don't know is that only "2-3" of those people were his actual crewmmates. Most vietnam veterens, and especially his swift boat colleagues loath John Kerry.

be sure to check out the other side of the story:
http://www.swiftvets.com/

Just my $0.02.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

I'm just saying, also be sure to check out htttp://www.vaiw.org, for the other side of the story with just as much credibility.

I don't really know what to say about the song itself, but it's already been established that Goodchocolate is a racist or something very much like one.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

http://www.vaiw.org . Sorry.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Free speech shouldn't extend to slanderous comments.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

I doubt that Jada would put that line in just to increase record sales- he was just speaking his mind. As an artist he has the right to question what is going on in the world and do it with millions of people watching (listening). The lyric is simply meant to provoke thought; the song after all is called "why".

And IMHO anything that reaches those groups who don't vote as much and leads to them getting politically involved [by voting or otherwise] can't be that bad of a thing [assuming that its more or less harmless-well i mean to anyone who isnt bush or republican].

If NYC doesnt mind (doesn't protest the lyrics-doesn't boycott the station) then why should we?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page