Beach Boys vs Beatles

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Beach Boys vs Beatles
By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

anybody favor the boys over the beatles?

By Ilovefood (Ilovefood) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

no

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

definitely not... the Beatles are untouchable in my opinion

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

The Beach Boys don't even come close.

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

meh, i still think pet sounds and smile are genius albums.

The progression for me: Rubber Soul<Pet Sounds<Sgt. Pepper<Smile

Both vocally and melodically, the beach boys surpassed the beatles. However, the beatles had a better producer and two great songwriters, where the beach boys only had B. Wilson.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

is this a joke...

beattles are up here
beach boys are down here (no offense they made decent music)

any questions! :)

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Since beatles songs cover a wide spectrum of styles and sounds, and pretty much all beach boys songs sound pretty much the same (although they're all pretty good), my vote has to go to beatles.

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

are you guy's just referring to the beach boy's "fun fun fun" garbage? I really think you should check out the pet sounds/smile era, the BB's are better than you think.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

The Beach Boys probably made more technical contributions to music than they are given credit for. I've met lots and lots of people who say they don't like the Beach Boys. Later on you discover they have a very well worn collection of Beach Boys.

Before you go knocking the Beach Boys, remember what happened to James Watt when he last dissed the Boys.

By Lilmermaide (Lilmermaide) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

i love the beach boys!! they are amazing.. not a huge beatles fan actually :/

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Haha politicians and rock and roll; a bad combination. One of the Brian Wilson's great contributions includes taking Chuck Berry's guitar and combining it with barbershop harmonies. How many other bands (including the beatles) tried (and failed) to copy the beach boy's harmonies?

By Ginnyvere (Ginnyvere) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I'm a tried and true Beatles fan. However, at least the argument is finally something other than "Beatles or Stones?"

By Gidget (Gidget) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

The beach boys are good but they are not even in the league with the Beatles..... NOT EVEN CLOSE>

Magoo-- you have the right idea.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

beatles are from the uk. the beach boys are americans

any one who knows me know will one i would pick.

They say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy Birthday to you

My favorite song by the Beatles

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Beatles obviously, however I don't think the Beach Boys (specifically Brian Wilson) are given enough credit.

It was Wilson's/Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" that inspired the Beatles to compose "Sgt. Peppers." At the time, the Beatles themselves didn't think anything could top "Pet Sounds," but they tried...and well they came up with one of the greatest albums ever. So no "Pet Sounds" would mean no "Sgt. Pepper's".

Also, it was the genius of "Sgt. Pepper's" (among other things) that led to Wilson's nervous breakdown- he poured his heart and soul into "Pet Sounds" but then it was topped.

Although, Brian Wilson has the edge in one category- the Beatles never had a Barnaked Ladies song written about them (and no, Be My Yoko Ono doesn't count). :)

By Lisas986 (Lisas986) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

I like the Beach Boys... it is fun summer music.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

in terms of creating epic songs, i guess the prize goes to the beatles. but the beach boys make a close second. brian wilson is a musical genious, and it shows in songs like "good vibrations."

i got the opportunity to see the beach boys once(and not the cheesy new version). it was a reunion show with all of the originals minus dennis wilson of course. i'm glad i was old enough to appreciate it even when i was 8.

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

The beach boys were def capable of delivering epic songs. Listen to Surf's Up or the entire Smile LP for that matter.

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Personally, I think this is an unfair match-up. I mean, the Beach Boys were carried one genius songwriter whilst the Beatles each had each other to fall back on.

Would you guys say that Brian Wilson was more creative/talented than any single Beatle?

Also, don't forget about John/Paul/George/Ringo's solo work...

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

for that matter don't forget about brian wilson's solo work either! absolutely brilliant.

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Brian wilson's solo work is spotty, but his 88 album contains one of the best songs ever written: "Melt Away"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page