Life in Orange County.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Life in Orange County.
By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:00 am: Edit

Hi ppl,

i am am intl. student planning to study at either Fullerton College at Fullerton or Orange Coast College at Costa Mesa. I'd like to know which place has lesser living expenses. Which is a better college for someone not so rich.

are there other places in USA where studying at a Community College costs lesser than most other areas? Which is a really good place to study in? (i plan to major in electronics engineering). i don't have an impressive GPA so i will have to go to Community Coll.

I'd also like to know how i should send my TOEFL scores to the colleges. should i send them the scores before i apply? how will tey find my scores when i give my application? will they file it before my application arrives?

thank you,

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

Coming overseas to go to a community college? I don't think your stats are that bad. Try a state university.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

LOTS of overseas kids go to CC first and transfer, it saves a ton of money.

Orange county is wonderful, vysan.... but it is one of the more expensive areas of the US. If you are trying to save money, stay out of California altogether.

Good luck.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

yeah, if you're trying to save money, CA and especially the OC is not your best bet. the OC is kinda fake anyways... i'd know... i live it!

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

then which place should i go to? is Virginia nice? or how about Ohio? i have no clue about where to go. how much do you think an intl. student would have to spend in a place like OC for living expenses (including rent).

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

from what i know, california, especially the oc, is notoriously expensive to live in, as is most coastal places in the u.s., which generally includes virginia. If you are looking for a cheaper place, the mid west, including ohio as you mentioned is much cheaper.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

California... and OC especially is notoriously expensive. Likewise, the northern part of the east coast is also notoriously expensive in all urban/developed areas (boston, nyc, philly, washington dc)

Int'l kids who want to save a little money are better off going to a small school in a less crowded area... upstate NY, northern New england, all over the south, and all through middle America... get out a map and look at these areas. Decide if you want small town or big city... look up schools in mid-size cities. Comparison shop. =)

One website that can really help you is
www.presnet.net They do int'l student placement for free (though you might have to pay applications fees to the schools you settle on) and I think they could be a big help to you. They handle everything from applications to visa to income statements etc. Check it out.

PS: what part of the globe are you coming from?

By Smhop (Smhop) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

PS i just noticed you said engineering. I think the presidents network places people at RIT (rochester institute of technology) I dont know much about the school, but it sounds like it would be an option for engineering... its in Rochester, NY and you will not find that area expensive. GOOD LUCK!

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

man, i'm out of OC.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

I'm in the OC right now, i absolutely love it here. so many beaches and cute girls...

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:22 am: Edit

hey eyezclosedtight? do you have a xanga?

this is getting suspiscious
cuz i live in the OC too haha

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:22 am: Edit

double post

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page