GirlieMen!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: GirlieMen!
By Chavi (Chavi) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

Just curious how the GirlieMen (or is it Girlymen?) comment was playing in California?

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

what? im lost.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Schwarzenneger called some Democrats "girly men" for not coming right out and saying that they represented special interests. This has drawn accusations of homophobia and sexism and all sorts of other flak from the governor's opponents.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

ohhh that...thanks

its not producing mass riots...some people in california agree (not everyone here is a democrat...unfortunately :))others haven't acknowledged that he said that...

i think that it is just immature to say something like this...but cheney's comment was worse.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

That's ridiculous. But Arnie's got to realize that every damn thing that comes out of a politician's mouth is scrutinized to death.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

ok, im not exactly a feminist, but i am a woman.... um, insulting male politicians by calling them "girly" is also insulting HALF the worlds population by claiming that men are better than women. equal, the word is equal. um... so yea, this is one comment of his which people really should scrutinize. and with his history, being so openly sexist is a baaaad thing.

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Get over it. This country is so pathetically PC. Maybe we should just all kill ourselves -- that way, we won't be able to hurt any body's wittle feewings.

Thank God past generations of Americans made our country great enough to withstand the pansies that now inhabit it.

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

C'mon people. It's Arnold! If anyone can get away with a "girlymen" comment, he can. No, it's not PC, but neither is blasting countless victims with large weapons, or punching camels (remember that?)-- and we never minded then. I love our Governator!

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

BUCK

wow, that was just ignorant...he is in the position to run one of the largest state in the union, it takes someone u can respect to do the job...and like others say u can't respect someone who resorts to childish insults when he can't get his way...its politics...DO NOT SAY SOMETHING THAT WILL UPSET UR CONSTITUENTS, also he has tried so hard to bring back unity within the state...however comments like that will only divide the poeple, so it is important that he watch his mouth...

it WAS the wrong thing to say PERIOD!!!

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

to add...its not that i hate our govenor i think that he is doing a pretty good job...but why waste time in justifying this situation

in other words its a little dissapointing to hear that...also, he could potentially be fueling a very dangerous flame that burns between the democrats and republicans... hope u understand where im coming from (nothing can be solved when the parties are to busy fighting).

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

I agree it was probably not the smartest thing to say, but really, do people go out looking for things to be insulted by? I mean, I see your points and it definitely could be taken as offensive, but truthfully, I just thought it was funny. I was like "Hey, that's a good SNL bit."

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 03:37 am: Edit

When a man gets a blow job in the oval office while talking to a congressman on the phone, and still is one of our most popular presidents ever, I don't think "girlieman" is such a big deal.

Again, get over it. The guy was joking.

No one's fighting over it except the dems.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:43 am: Edit

I am a democrat but I think that it is ridiculous to get upset over everything that comes out of somebodys mouth.
It wasn't a slam to GLBT, it was more mysogynistic than anything but "Hello?" Arnold ?
Does he look like Alan Alda to you?

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

LoL I actually laughed at Buck's first post. haha funny stuff

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

The country is so PC nowadays, I'm glad that stuff like the "girlie men" comment happens. It reminds me that the world isn't completely structured around not offending people. Everyone knew about the fact that he groped women like crazy yet he still got elected- I think this girlie men comment is nothing compared to that. Plus, it's hilarious.

Go Arnold.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

This is why our country is so messed up. Everyone is so busy reading way too much into a stupid comment that we forget to look at the important stuff.

By Chavi (Chavi) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

But is anyone concerned about the stalling of the budget? That's what Arnold was really getting at, but everyone seems consumed by the perceived offense and not to care about the real problems. Is there basic support in California for him slamming the legislature?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

everyone . . . consumed by the perceived offense and not to care about the real problems

Thanks for defining liberals!

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

liberals DO care about the budget...the poster asked how this was playing out in california...its not like they stormed out of their offices and had mass protest over this comment...it just upset people, because no one wants to hear their leader insult them...i understand your logic for not wanting the country to be PC but that's up to the people and what they choose to say, buy, and read.

i hate how people are quick to judge liberals saying they always go for personal attacks but when a republican does it...its ok!

when it comes down to it, it was not the best move...sometimes people get upset and say things like that, but why defend an angry remark that distracts the public from what's going on...

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

"i hate how people are quick to judge liberals saying they always go for personal attacks but when a republican does it...its ok!"

The radical right does it more than anyone else (see 1992-2000)

The hypocrisy of the attacks is the saddest part, though.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

i hate how people are quick to judge liberals saying they always go for personal attacks but when a republican does it...its ok!

My attacks are sarcastic anyway -- if you couldn't tell, you fit definition two of liberals! (Again, I'm just kidding. :))

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

ok to add:

i get really involved/emotional (kinda...i never cry or anything...nothing really bad) in debates and arguments, some say i sound passionate others say overzealous...so in other words im not deeply offended by this comment, though i may sound like it (which is why i try and stay out of debates... i only read them)...in some ways i kinda found it funny (imagining him say it) and in a certain context could fit as a mere joke...

HOWEVER: there is no way that i would agree with this, and defend him...i think that it is pointless to defend him.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

ohh... and goodchocolate:

as long as u outline that u are being sarcastic, that is fine with me...i came to this debate with a serious outlook on the situation (it sounded like the OP wanted serious responses) so i took U SERIOUS accordingly.

By Socaldad (Socaldad) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

I love the "girlie men" comment, as it appeals to my sense of the absurd.

What's great is that people thought that Arnold was referring to Saturday Night Live skits where lame Austrian body-builders used the term "girlie-men". It turns out that Arnold has always used the phrase, leading me to believe that Hans and Franz were parodies of Schwarznegger.

This is the greatest thing for satire since Henry Kissinger, who was the model for the fictional Dr. Strangelove when he was an obscure policy wonk, eventually rose to prominence in public life. Then people started comparing him to Dr. Strangelove.

I find it hard to develop a lot of outrage about Arnold's comments. He starts most speeches with self-deprecating humor involving his career. My favorite was one that went like this " Somebody said I was as good a governor as I was an actor. I was insulted"

Finally, the best retort has been from ragingly gay supervisor Tom Ammiano. "Hey pal, it's Mr. Girlie Man to you."

California, an ongoing experiment in government. When we get it right, we'll let you know.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

i{It turns out that Arnold has always used the phrase, leading me to believe that Hans and Franz were parodies of Schwarznegger}

Do'h.

By Rono_G (Rono_G) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:13 am: Edit

btw... responding to Anglophile 's comment... Schwarzenegger punched a reindeer, not a camel..
hehehehhaaaha

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

http://www.sacramentogirliemen.com/

support the Ca democratic party ( which you may have noticed can use the help)

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

OMG, I can't believe this. All the crying and whining that the Democrats are doing after the "girlieman" comment just proves Arnolds point. It was a joke referring to an SNL skit that mocked HIM. California has bigger issues to worry about, and if the Democrats are going to actually make an issue out of this proves their incompetence.

Plus, the Democrats are in no position to cry over these "jokes". The rhetoric coming out of the Democrats is disgusting. Max Kleeland was insulting the President, saying he was finishing what Daddy messed up (that's not verbatim). At a Democratic-sponsored fund raiser, Whoopi Goldberg insulted the Presidents name using unneccessary language. The NAACP (which is now in the back-pocket of the Democrats) have compared Republicans to the Taliban, Confederacy, and Nazi's. For the Democrats to get angry over the subtle "girlieman" comment just proves their hypocrisy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page