I stand in awe of my body.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: I stand in awe of my body.
By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

This is a quote by Henry David Thoreau.

Aren't bodies cool? What weird things can you do with your body?

My fingers are double jointed, when I point my finger (the top 2 segments of it) curves upward at about a 45 degree angle. I can also bend back my index and middle fingers so that the top 2 segments are parallel with the back of my hand.
I can put both feet behind my head.
I can roll my tongue and do other weird tongue aerobics (although I can't touch my nose).

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Can you lick your elbow?
I've always wanted to do that.
I'm double jointed in my legs and arms, but they just bend weird, they don't do any tricks...

By Lildv (Lildv) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

I can also put both feet behind my head.
I can roll my tongue.
And I can cross one eye and keep one straight...and then switch them.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

I can put my feet behind my head too-- that's always a fun party trick!

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

I can also do the feet behind head trick!!!!!! Additionally, I have the wonderful power of rotating my head around mulptiple times about 1440 degrees. :-D

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

I can touch my tongue to my nose or chin.

I can also bend my thumb backward at a 90 degree angle.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

I can clap with one hand.

By Zero (Zero) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

i am bow-legged. amazing.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

I try to cross my eyes, but it just gives me a headache and makes it look like I have no irises. :)

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

i can...uhh...uhh...crack my toes...do wierd things with my tongue, and...nothing else :)

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:21 am: Edit

my friend can lick her elbow. fun to watch.

the only thing i can do is put both my feet over my head.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:21 am: Edit

I can crack my toes too! (And I kind of like the way it feels, painful in a good way)

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:00 am: Edit

Uhm. My middle fingers are crooked! Seriously. They are bent. Haha that's about it.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

I used to do all sorts of acrobatics in my martial arts days. Knee injury.. long story.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

Can anyone else make a loud popping noise with your tongue and the top of your mouth?

Well I can, so hah!

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

i can do just about anything humanly possible with my tongue. i can touch my nose, chin, and elbow. as well, middle fingers can bend back extra far.

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

the ability to do crazy things with your tongue is apparently genetic (or so one of my science teachers said). 1 in 9 people (like me) can't do anything special with their tongues because of their genes.

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

I can bend my thumb backwards and around my hand at a 180 degree angle. It freaks most people out. I can also suck in my neck muscles and make it look rather scary.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I wish I could do things with my tongue?! I'm also bow legged. It's amazing people. But I'm really flexible. I always wanted to be a gymnastics (too late for that).

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

i have freckles everywhere! (yes...EVERYWHERE)

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Im double jointed too and I can bend both feet around 270 degrees, though not at the same time.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Yeah, I've got the hithhiker's thumb. Woohooo.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

And, btw, Thoreau is AWESOME.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

He totally is! I am perhaps the only person that cried while reading Walden. His quote about some things being necessities in some circles, luxuries in others and in some completely unknown made me break down for some reason, just because it is SO TRUE and pertinent.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I know, but it's too bad every one else hates the two. But I like Thoreau more for some reason. We should totally start a thread about them.

"I would rather ride on earth in an ox cart, with a free circulation, than go to heaven in the fancy car of an excursion train and breathe a malaria all the way."

Who doesn't believe that? Tell me!

And then there's, "Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts."

"However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names."

It just totally applies to today. I love it! Thoreau's my hero! Emerson's okay... he paved the way for Thoreau.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

How about "Beware of endeavors that require new clothes" (or something along those lines). Ahh, transcendentalists are so dreamy.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Henry David thoreau is god.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

"There is no odor so bad as that which arises from goodness tainted."

And this is why things like NHS are bad!

I <3 Thoreau.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

OMG I TOO THINK NHS IS EVIL!!! I didn't know anyone else agreed...I refused to recognize my membership and boycotted the gold tassel. Honestly, I <3 community service, but NHS makes me angry.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

ME TOO! Oh wow! I refused to turn in my hours sheet because I felt like it was superficial! *is extremely surprised*

I love community service, too. In fact, I do it on a weekly basis. I felt like I was joining because I was just conforming, especially with the forced hours required for membership. It still makes me angry.

I mean, I guess there's some validity to the organization, but it's infinitely small and negligible. The fact that the community service is required makes me want to blow up and kill NHS.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Yep, I thought it was superficial too! I felt like the only reason I was in it was to get the gold tassel, I had no other reason to be in it. When I realized this I thought..."Wow, Ashley, you are such a little conformist, what would Thoreau think?" This is the same reason why I never did my homework. Why should I do it? For some stupid little letters of recognition on my report card? That is ridiculous. High school was not for being recognized, but for learning. If something did not aide my learning, I didn't do it.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

yeah its irrational i never applied for the reasons u speak of...also so many people applied at my school is was dam near impossible to get in...u'd have to be friends with the president and the evil squad of officers...and im not about to kiss some ass to get into a club!!...U DON'T NEED IT TO GET INTO COLLEGE.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I stand in awe of the great Chesty, with whom I am in complete agreement! If only I had the true intelligence and courage to resist the call of the addictive nature of high grades. Damn it. Thoreau's probably rolling over in his grave at me. *Sigh* Now I'm really depressed. I try to justify it in my mind saying it's just a "pursuit of excellence," but my arguements with myself are usually circular and useless.

I'm just a bad, bad, weak, weak, conforming (at least to some extent--damn this society) person.

But, oh well. What can you do, eh, Chesty? Well, more like, what can I do, eh, Chesty?

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:24 am: Edit

meh

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page