Top 3 rock groups of all time

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Top 3 rock groups of all time
By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

everyone post what you think the top 3 rock groups of all time are.

1. Led Zepplin
2. Black Sabbith
3. Jimmy Hendrix

By Zero (Zero) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

smashing pumpkins
jimi hendrix experience
led zeppelin

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:38 am: Edit

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd

By Edward (Edward) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:39 am: Edit

Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Deep Purple

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:42 am: Edit

1. The Beatles
2. The Clash
3. Velvet Underground

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

beatles
eagles
earth, wind, and fire
(honorable mention: queen)

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

I would've put the Beatles, but they're very borderline between rock and pop. At any rate, the Beatles doesn't really represent what rock is about.

By Brzrk (Brzrk) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:05 am: Edit

Zeppelin
Van Halen
Red Hot Chili Peppers

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:14 am: Edit

Beatles
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Pink Floyd

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Stones
Beatles
Who

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

What the.. That many of you listen to Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix? Wow.. I thought I was the only one.

By Jstanfie (Jstanfie) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

Zeppelin
Grateful Dead
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

Zeppelin
Metallica
Dark Tranquility

For those Zeppelin fans, just thought I'd share my luck with you, as we speak I'm waiting on a priority package from Jimmy Page filled w/ stuff.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

These are in no order.

Classic Bands:

Queen
Beatles
Grateful Dead

Modern Bands:

Weezer
Reel Big Fish
Flogging Molly

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

chilli peppers

By Seniorricardo (Seniorricardo) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

-The Beatles (a no brainer here)
-The Rolling Stones
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Nirvana (it would be a sin not to put them here)
-U2 (there probably the number one ever IMO)

*sorry but I have 5. its hard to cut it down to three*

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

AC/DC

Metallica

By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Metallica
Zeppelin
Queen

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

A guy from weezer once bit my n!pple. For real, I was out at this nightclub, and there was all this hubbub bc they came in (made such a scene). So I was dancing, and this guy comes up to me and starts acting like a real doofus. (a bit drunk). Usually I would walk away bc I like to dance *alone*, but for whatever reason, I tolerated him. He leaned in really close for a min like he was going hug me or something, then before I knew it, he bit me right on the boob. I was so shocked, and I just stood there with my mouth open... not knowing if to get mad or laugh or what . So, he just laughed at me and wandered off. I told the bouncers, but they didn't do anything except agree to "keep an eye on him".

I don't even know which band member it was... Anyway, that's the time I can think of that I met a famous musician-- too funny.

By Peterline (Peterline) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

van halen
rolling stones
pink floyd/led zeppelin

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

In no particular order

Beatles
Radiohead
U2

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

1. Beatles
2. Stones
3. Zeppelin

the top 3 isn't hard, but below that is a crapshooot

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Queen
Beatles
Who

By Buckojackson (Buckojackson) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

The trinity of british rock...Beatles, Stones, the Who

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.S.R.

No, the Beatles were not the best rock group of all time... just the best group!

If you were going to be stranded on an island with the entire musical output of ONLY ONE band, would it be the Stones, Led Zepplin, or Queen that you would choose to listen to day after day until you died? I doubt it.

We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We hope you will enjoy the show,
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sit Back and let the evening go.
Sgt. Pepper's lonely, Sgt. Pepper's lonely,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Their music is so in your head, you don't even need the CD!

------

It's hard to listen to Sympathy for the Devil and not think that the Stones are the all time best rock group.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

U2
Muse
Keane

Gotta love.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I cant beleive no one else thinks that Black Sabbath is one of the top 3 rock bands of all time. People who havnt heard any of thier songs go out and listen to Iron Man, Hand of Doom, or War Pigs.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Simon and Garfunkel

By Salamanda (Salamanda) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Zeppelin
U2
AC/DC
Van Halen
Red Hot Chili Peppers

i agree w/ seniorricardo---three's too small of a number

By Afterhours (Afterhours) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

"1. The Beatles
2. The Clash
3. Velvet Underground"

my kind of taste ;)

By Smhop (Smhop) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

I cannot believe no one commented on my Weezer story. I mean, weezer is obviously NOT that great a rock group (imho) but one of you up there mentioned them, so I just thought I'd share my tidbit. HA! no pun intended.

Ok, my bad...

talk amongst yourselves while I leave the room...

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

I think it's funny you came back to point it out after telling the story and yet you never posted your top 3 rock bands in either post.

Zeppelin
Eagles
The Who

By Smhop (Smhop) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

=)

Seriously, I cannot pick three bc I hate dated music... like, when I was in H.S., New Order, the Smiths, Dmode were my favorite bands... now, I would rather eat nails than hear that old cr@p.

Then again, there are some bands that just never go out of style... but I don't want to ally myself with any of them, bc while I might repsect them, they're probably not reflective of my style.. does that make sense?

Like Jethro Tull for example, they were pretty amazing-- but that doesn't mean it was my kind of music... see?

So.. I don't have a top three, just that sad, sad story.... =)

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:45 am: Edit

I just have to say, as an absolute diehard RHCP fan, for some reason, I take some weird kind of pride in the fact that more than a few people have listed them as one of the best rock groups ever. (Even though I didn't list them myself.) YAY Red hot chili peppers!!!!!! =D

Smhop--that IS pretty weird. You should go to one of their concerts and hold up a big sign that says, YOU BIT MY BOOB!!!

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:32 am: Edit

1. Nirvana (without a doubt)
2. Led Zepplin
3. The rolling stones

By Gidget (Gidget) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

1Jimi Hendrix
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Van Halen
Queen

Sooo many good ones....

By Hammertime (Hammertime) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Some very good bands that no one's mentioned, and that deserve to be on here: The Doors; The Allman Brothers; Derek and the Dominos/Cream/anything else with Clapton; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Creedence Clearwater Revival.

By Futurepres (Futurepres) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 05:19 am: Edit

1. Tool
2. Pink Floyd
3. Beatles

I absolutely despise AC/DC, just thought I'd throw that out.

By Uknowwho42 (Uknowwho42) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

Beatles
Hendrix
Van Morrison
Cream/Clapton's Bands
Led Zeppelin
Grateful Dead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sublime

3 is too hard.

By Sprangbang (Sprangbang) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

1. Beatles/Stones/Who/Floyd/Zeppelin/Hendrix

I usually just group these together as the top because their styles are so diverse and they're all the best in their own realm.

Then there's a second tier of bands just below them: The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jethro Tull, Allman Bros., Boston(yes, Boston,) Sabbath, Dead, Cream, Chili Peppers, many others...

By the way, I just saw the latest incarnation of the Allman Bros. this weekend, and they are unbelievably good, see them if you get the chance.

By Neo (Neo) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Smphop = pretenious indie hipster.

Back to the thread...

1.Beatles/Rolling Stones (it's got to be a tie)
3. Le Zep.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

NEO: Poo on you... you're just jealous that no one bit your n!pple. (smhop walks away like a pretentious indie hipster)

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

1. Brian Wilson/Beach Boys
2. Beatles
3. Simon and Garfunkel

By Smartblond (Smartblond) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

1. Def Leppard (drummer only has 1 arm!)
2. Metallica
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd (because I was raised in the South)

By Dm101 (Dm101) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

SMHOP:

can't believe you grew out of new order, the smiths, & dmode!

i wish i could have gone to high school when other people knew who they were. =(

anyway, i'd try to list my top 3, but i wouldn't want to have to defend their "rock band" status.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Although Jimi Hendrix was an awesome guitarist, his band as a collective force in the big scope of rock influence does not rank as highly as some others. For an example, Randy Rhoads is by far one of the best guitarists that ever lived. However, neither Quiet Riot nor The Blizzard of Ozz were really the best bands in rock and roll history. I'd also like to mention Michael Angelo, who is likely to be the most prodigously talented guitarist alive at the moment, but whose band, Nitro, is not very good at all. (Download his Speed Kills video off Kazaa for a sample of what he can do when it comes to metal. He was also voted something like the best jazz guitarist in Minnesota when he was younger.) Yngwie Malmsteem, Steve Vai, and Joe Petrucci could fall into this as well. Stevie Ray Vaughn also fits into this grouping, even though he is more blues than rock, but his influence on many rock guitarists cannot be ignored.

Although I can not come up with only the 3 best rock groups of all time, a list a bit like Sprangbang's would work out, with a few large modifications.

As their styles are so diverse, a tie for the best rock bands of all time would be The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beach Boys, and Radiohead.

Into my own second tier would go The Allman Bros Band, Lynrd Skynrd, Nirvana, Boston, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Queen, CCR, The Doors, and Metallica.

There are PLENTY of other good bands that to me all had certain flaws when it comes to being the best all around, but definetly rank high on the list of influential and talented rock bands, such as (when I said PLENTY, I meant it) Television, Depeche Mode, Operation Ivy, Rancid, REM, The Who, The Smiths, Black Sabbath, Cannibal Corpse, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Bon Jovi, Velvet Underground, Slayer, Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello, Smashing Pumpkins, The Clash, The Eagles, In Living Color, Rush, Bad Brains, Tool, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Foghat, U2, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton's other bands, The Grateful Dead, Elvis, Converge, The Kinks, The Association, Ministry, Rage Against the Machine, and Chuck Berry.

There are many quite modern bands around such as AFI, System of a Down, Jet, Flogging Molly, Modest Mouse, the Bouncing Souls, and The Strokes, whose talents are undeniable but whose influence, staying power, and integrity have yet to be really seen.

By the way, I cannot really see what the big deal is with Sublime. Their lyrics were almost totally unintelligible, and their only good song when you try to ignore that fact was Pool Shark.

Sorry for the long post. All my posts on here tend to be like this. I have a lot to say, and this subject is one that needs a lot to be said about it.

By Kmw11187 (Kmw11187) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bon Jovi
Eagles

By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Skynyrd
AC/DC
CCR
Zepplin
Queen
Pink Floyd

Who do you all think the best guitarist is?
Or the best Guitar solo?

My vote for best guitar solo is Free Bird

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

The best guitar solo (taking into account talent needed to play/create it, the "diversity" of the phrases in the solo in relation to the duration of the solo, the actual musical appeal of the solo, et cetera) in rock and roll history is either Ozzy Osbourne's Mr. Crowley, or Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb solo. The Freebird solo simply repeats and modulates about 5 phrases incessantly.

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

best guitarist would have to be Jimmy Page....best guitar solo is probably Eruption by Eddie Van Halen

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

Eruption is a bit guilty of the main sin that brings the Freebird solo down, albeit to a lesser degree. If you play guitar and you've looked at the music for the song, it is easier to see how most of the phrases in Eruption are comprised of a cool sounding riff that is simply modulated or slightly altered, such as the finger tapping part at the end, and the wild sequence right before that. (It's hard to explain in words if I'm not sure whether I'm talking to another guitarist or not)

I'd have to agree with you that Jimmy would rank very high when it comes to best rock guitarist and best guitarist ever in any genre. Good thread idea, actually.

By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:19 am: Edit

Jimmy Hendrix
The Doors
Beatles
Earth, Wind, and Fire
Aerosmith

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

THE DOORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pink Floyd
U2

I also like Latin Rock so for that category I'd go with:

Mana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mago de Oz
Rata Blanca

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

My mother is a Mana fan.

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

This is really hard for me....hmm..I'd have to say that Zepp, the Stones, and Dave Matthews are my favs. But there are some new bands that I really like, like Jet and Hot hot heat and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Best guitarist is definitley jimmy Page. Jimi Hendrix is a close second. And for all of you out there, I recomend checking out Stevie Ray Vaughn. He's fantastic

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Yes, I totally forgot about mentioning DMB and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in my above post. DMB would go in that second tier and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs would be one of the modern ones who we can't be too sure about yet. Come to think of it, I probably did overlook a few other really good bands . . .

By Berta_Mac (Berta_Mac) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

The Velvet Underground (Lou Reed rules all)
Pink Floyd
Silverchair

By Isaman (Isaman) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Aerosmith

By Immortal (Immortal) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Metallica
Kiss
Scorpions

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page