Looks like Lance Armstrong will win again!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Looks like Lance Armstrong will win again!
By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

In a sport with so much talent, it is amazing one person can win the Tour de France six times.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=547&u=/ap/20040717/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_tour_de_france_142&printer=1

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I guess its a shame that he will never get the kind of fan support and respect that he deserves simply because so few people care/know about competitive cycling. Not that I do though..

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Well, Tour de France winners get a lot more attention than athletes in some other sports. Like, I bet know one here knows who the best marathon runner in the world is.

By Brzrk (Brzrk) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

Off the head all I can think of for the best marathoner is Paul Tergat (I'm a runner too, not marathons though).

Lance is phenomenal. I still think he's only the second best cyclist in history, to Eddy Merckx, but he's phenomenal. This year is actually fairly disappointing, as he has no real competition. Mayo peaked too early, Hamilton crashed and Ullrich is in poor shape. Basso can't time trial like Lance can, and he's the only real threat Lance has left. Basso needs to get 2-3 minutes on Lance on non time trial stages if he wants a chance.

My prediction is that next year Alexandre Vinokourov will win. Mark my words.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Great assessment, Brzrk!

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

I read somewhere that bike seats can cause impotence if you ride on them too much.

Ok anyway, I hope Lance Armstrong wins. There was one time when someone banged him in the Tour de France and he fell down and was bleeding and stuff, but he got up and won anyway. Yay..!

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

Alexandre Vinokourov winning? C'mon.

Armstrong has it in the bag. How could he lose? Unless he gets hurt, I really can't see him losing.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Barring a crash or some other malfunction, Lance has this wrapped up.

Voodoochile, I remember watching the stage, some spectators handbag caught his handlebars and took him down, but he got up and just blew by everyone else..and won the stage. It was cool because when he passed the guy who was leading (he was pretty far ahead of the pack), he gave him a pat on the back- very cool.

I think right now Lance is the best athelete in the world. Among the "common sports" ie. ones followed by the general American public, no one is better than everyone else in their sport than Lance.

Even with the rule changes, accusations by the French media and others of doping (not his rivals, they have a very respectful rivalry), and all the general stuff just this year he has had to face- Lance is still smoking the competition.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

he uses steroids / performance enhancers...

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

"I think right now Lance is the best athelete in the world. Among the "common sports" ie. ones followed by the general American public, no one is better than everyone else in their sport than Lance."

Well, there are Michael Schumacher and Valentino Rossi.. and of course there used to be Tiger Woods, Marion Jones, Venus and Serena Williams, but they seem to be not doing so well nowadays.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Michael Phelps is becoming pretty untouchable in swimming, but he's only 19 so time will tell where he falls among the world's greatest athletes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page