For anyone living in or around Pennsylvania

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: For anyone living in or around Pennsylvania
By Seniorricardo (Seniorricardo) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I am looking at my receipt from the Gap and American Eagle during my trip there from orientation at Scranton and I am shocked that it wasn't taxed. This girl told me that Scranton had no tax but I didn't believe her until now. That is so cool. My question is that is everything not taxed or is it just clothes that are exempt and is like all of Pennsylvania or just Scranton that does it.

By Sarahbcd (Sarahbcd) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

none of pennsylvania has clothing tax! its about the only good thing we have...

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

clothes and food are tax free, because they are necessities and thus the poor do not carry a heavy tax burden. The sales tax in PA is 6% (except in cities) on everything else, so the middle and upper classes carry the tax burden, which is only fair, since they can afford it.
I thought this was a national thing? I had no idea that other states taxed food and clothing

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

GASP no taxes??
I spend so much money on clothes and thus, so much on taxes.
NYC sales tax is like 8.6% now and that goes for everything except groceries, I think.

I hate taxes. I just got my paycheck and they took like 15% of my money...I'm too young to be paying medicare and social security!

By Seniorricardo (Seniorricardo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

you guys suck. good thing i'm moving out there and for four years at least will be escaping chicago's 8.75 tax (im really from the suburbs and here its 7.25!!!). Yeah in Illinois, ESPECIALLY IN CHICAGO your sales tax counts on clothes and food =(. I seriously didn't know places in America had no tax except in duty free shops at the airport, how amazing! My moms like we are just gonnna buy you new clothes there cuz its tax free. Are things like dorm furniture (meaning chairs, sheets, coffee maker, etc) non taxed too? If its not then it will make sense to go nuts buying my stuff in the land of no sales tax at GAP and American Eagle.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

sheets might be tax free but furniture is not. and anything running on electricity is not tax free. in august (in the last two - three years) PA has held a tax free month on computers and computer accessories. something about "educational advancement and enrichment" blah

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

California is bad with its 8.25% sales tax and even worse corporate taxes which force many jobs to leave the state. Oregon has no sale tax which is really nice. It is like getting a discount on everything.

By Seniorricardo (Seniorricardo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

To iplayoboe: That's cool PA has no tax on computers for "educational advancement" in august. I wished I knew about it ahead of time and I shouldve bought my laptop there and saved the 200 something dollars on tax I paid out here.

To Jlq3d3: Yeah Illinois is the same. Sales tax in Chicago is 8.75 and corporate taxes are terrible. That's why all the Chicago jobs are leaving cuz of it.

In conclusion - Taxes suck

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

You don't get Something for Nothing.

Places with high sales taxes usually have lower property taxes...and California's are low compared t most other places.

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

There's a 8.75% tax here in TN, but low property taxes. We really need an income tax to replace this heavy sales tax burden...but alas, no relief.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page