Top Stocks for Next Week

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Top Stocks for Next Week
By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Airight guys,

Next week there are many financial reports coming out and I wanted to give you some heads up on some very good stocks. Also I would like to warn on some potential DISTASTERous stocks:

Stocks that should rise:

-DELL (sym: DELL) I am almost certain that this stock is going to give a good gain next week. It has been speculated that the company has surpassed the market expectation by 2 cents a share in its Q2 reports. That means that there may be some very good gains if one buys the shares on monday morning. The stock will probably range from 45-37 bucks a share in december. So at the current price of mid 35s taht is a very healthy gain. I will personally acquire some dell shares on monday at the starting bell.

-ImClone (sym: IMCL): Yes this is a bit of a gamble but I have a feeling that this has some mucho potential. Currently its low at after hours trading (77 bucks) but I believe it should hit 90 by the end of the fiscal year. A very good stock with above average risk but excellent gain.

-Almost all petroleum stocks including transport stocks. One stock like Teekay (sym:TK), which exports petroleum, I believe should gain between 2-3 bucks by the end of the fiscal year. This is a longish term stock but has ery good potential. Crude oil futures are up, petroleum stocks are on the rise, and thus peuroleum trasport stocks will also be logically up.

-some IPOs now. Freescale and Domino's pizza should go up and should garner some gains through out next week. So look out for those.

STOCKS THAT SHOULD BE SOLD OF IMMEDIATELY:

-All automobile stocks (Ford (sym: F), General Motors (sym: GM). All these stocks performed lower than the market average and should be taking a pretty bad dip next week for the day traders. Also analysts predicted that 16-17 millin automobiles will be sold in this quater but only 15ish million were sold. So there is a double whammy going on for these stocks.

-this summer isnt going to be pretty and novice investors should try to get away from the market till mid september. Its going to be a very frustrating summer for investors and most stocks (and thus index) should fall. Not pretty at all.

These are my outlook for the next week.

DISCLAIMER: there is a probablility that I was wrong in my estimates but take this inormation as well as you please. Stock markets are unpredictable and I am no Warren Buffet, so dont use this information as a guaranteed prediction.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

wow...

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

just because I feel like it.

Everyone should know by now but I feel like posting:

If you have Boston Scientific shares, you are screwed, toasted, roasty, and crisped. Boston Scientific really took a hit and will be taking a hit on monday. Its sad.....i had 500 bucks in that. i am selling it at exactly 9AM Monday. I would urge everyone to do the same unless you guys want to keep the stock and wait till like december in order to get a profit out of it.

Thats about it.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

wow...:) (im not trying to be a jerk...its me remember)

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

he's the man....thats why we will be rich

By Henfour (Henfour) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

I prefer mutual funds because I don't have to figure out which stocks to pick. My relatives like to pick their own stocks though.

By Renegade4box (Renegade4box) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:20 am: Edit

Why do you like Large caps so much? You're setting sights on a very iffy prospect of 30% gain over 5 months on a stock that's already slightly overpriced from speculation. Go for mid/small cap, I got into MSO and made quite a profit today. Dell has nothing on a mid-cap with a good balance sheet, and good forward p/e.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:17 am: Edit

Henfour there are some seriously sweet funds:

First Eagle Global Cl A
Calamos Growth CL A
Oakmark Equity & Income Cl I
Oppenheimer International Bond Fund Cl A
American Funds American Balanced Fund Cl F(class A is also good)
American Funds Growth Fund of America Cl F (class A is also good)
Selected American Sharees
PIMCO Total Return Cl A
PIMCO Real Return Cl A
PIMCO PEA Renaissance CL A

All of these funds have extremely high morningstar rating, they have outrageously high alphas, and their 3 year +/- annualized total return over the benchmark is impressive as well as their performance rank in their distinctive asset classes.

I've been interning for UBS Financial Services for the past few months and have noticed that the majority of our brokers use a combination of these to create their various allocation strategies. If anyone needs advice on allocation strategies I'd be willing to help!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:19 am: Edit

Renegade makes a good point. Focusing on large caps so heavily is not good. Really try to focus on mid/small caps especially those mid/small cap growth stocks.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

No guys I dont focus on large caps. Just that the next week those stock will give the most gain. Nice hold on MSO. I really didnt want to gamble so didnt take that stock.

The next couple of weeks are going to be rough....mid caps included. I have three holdings on mid cap companies.

Atmel (ATML) which is in the tech sector. They have secured some VERY good deals like getting their chips in the big auto companies. Now its 4.something and I am sure that by the end of the fiscal year it should be 7-8 something. Its a very good investment.

Macrovision (MVSN). they have very good out look for the next year and should improve a point of two which I plan to gain.

The last being NSS which is small cap industrials and they have some ood offer from companies and increased a point on friday alone.

All the tech shares I have are for long term but primarily I am now trying to break into day trading and aiming at 100-200 dollars in profit a day. So, after Dell earning report comes out I should be able to make that amount in a day. The large caps that I mentioned are for the sole purpose of holding for say 2 weeks and then selling off. They are not long term.

For long term I would suggest tech stocks which are in a slump now but should recover around december.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

BTW, renegrade DELL is the only large cap company i mentioned in my to buy list. TK is mid cap as well as IMCL. Just so you know.:)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Renegade, i wasn't day trading yesterday so I didn't exactly see how the market reacted to martha's verdict, although, i'm assuming you had like a 3 minute gap in which you could actually get into MSO and make a good amount of profit, were you just sitting by your news wire or what? But then again i'm sure inside information had already leaked before it hit the wires. So did you buy shares early in the morning knowing that her verdict with be the min. sentence? I did a similiar thing like 3 months back, only i shortted MSO. Personally I don't like mutual funds because they don't offer me the growth I need, also I like to make my own trades and such at this age, because otherwise I won't learn anything if I leave it to some professionals. I want to be that professional and I won't get there by sitting on my ass letting them work my portfolio for me.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

"he's the man....thats why we will be rich" lol. I want to me you too Haithman!

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Mahras knows better than to go for merely large caps, you didn't need to tell him that. Actually I made the same move with GE (as mahras is about to make with Dell) a week ago after earnings came out. It steadily went up and made me roughly 5 percent for 3 days (i'm trying to move more "long term here"). These types of gains are nice and easily predictable.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

MAHRAS you've been dominating this week so far, congrats, i'm glad i moved almost all my money into ATML on friday at 4.4, its been owning! although, i'm holding it till decemberish. I'm hoping it'll go down tommorow though, so i can buy more shares at a cheaper price. The second it hits 5, i'm just going to buy regardless I think.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

this is still the same one?
suze orman updates...

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

ewww Suze Orman

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

don't be hatin'

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

lol sorry, didnt mean to diss your girl

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

"das" rite.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

who is suze orman? sorry if I sound ignorant here, i'm assumning shes on tv alot, because I don't watch a great deal of television.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

she has a late night show on cnbc, she gives financial advice to people. Its a talk show about money related things like credit card debt, mortgages, investing, banking, insurance, etc.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

haha "das"...I remember that

By Mahras (Mahras) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Suze Orman.....Poison Ivy you have seriously offended me. :(

Suze gives bs advice. i give good ones. Check out all the stocks I picks. All are up or are gonna be up by the end of the week. Suze HA.....my sis listened to that old crap and lost 3K. Sorry if this is cocky. But plz Suze Orman...tahts offensive. I am dead serious.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:49 am: Edit

Kudlow is the only person anyone should be watching on tv. period.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:54 am: Edit

K&C is the best show on television...sides Sportscenter

By Nathalie26 (Nathalie26) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Where did the investment and stock trading thread go? I can't seem to find it.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

check out the archive...

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Brilliant :)

Losses: 28, 1,396, 165, 115 = +/- $1,700
Gaiins: 14, 33, 107 = $154

ATML 100 4.22 4.50 -28.00 422.00
DELL 100 35.14 35.00 +14.00 3,514.00
Ford 100 14.67 15.00 -33.00 1,467.00 *Reverse gain
GM.. 100 42.93 44.00 -107.00 4,293.00 * Reverse gain
IMCL 100 66.04 80.00 -1,396.00 6,604.00
MVSN 100 20.85 22.50 -165.00 2,085.00
TK.. 100 37.55 38.70 -115.00 3,755.00

By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Xiggi remember its day trading. So basically you leave without any outstanding shares by the end of the market day. SO, it really doesnt work like that. For example, Yes IMCl did fall sharpply but it was I believe on wednesday. However, before that a person could have easily racked up 200-300 bucks. Still dont get why ford and gm made good payouts? Should have fallen but oh well bad luck on my part.

As for ATML, Saved and I are switching all out on this beast of a company. I already bought shares at 4.20.....estimating 8-9 bucks by the end of one year. Thats a good gain even though long term does take the fun out of the market. Also ATML hit a high in the 4.4ish something so a person could have racked up 20 something cents if they were day trading. Plus take into account that the market did very poorly this week....and I do admit that I did overestimate the market for the week.

So, this time I have compiled a list of stocks for the one year+ investors:

ATML: As again this company really intrigues me. Its market cap is huge (excess of 2 billion) yet the price is just 4.22. And its been very busy with internally lately. I has allocated much of its profits into new technology ie the automobile industry which will start in september. So really the lowest I believe it will go is 3.80 and the highest in the high 8s low 9s range.

ZL: A new find. a mid cap company with a ~500mill market cap. Not really too bad. The volume is about okay but more would be nice. And the price is what is awesome its in the 3.40s.The profit is up 9% which is good. I would estimate around high 4s low 5s.

CRIO: A gamble on this one. Its a very good company but it would fall in the large small cap range. It currently trading at 1.62 which is VERY low as it took a beating this week (as did all tech stocks). But the growth potential is great. I would say keep the stock for 2 years and should be able to cash in for high 4s. A good gain.

Anyways, because I have a lopsided tech stock based portfolio, I really took a beating this wee, as a matter of fact for 2 consecytive weeks. But this does have a plus side. By buying the shares at such low prices, a long term investor could get a 30-50% GAIN in one year. Even including inflation this is A HUGE gain. This is a great oppurtunity for buy and hold traders but a very bad one for day traders. Thus, I will not be making any more day trades for the remainder of the summer. Currently, I am really looking into the 3 stocks i recommende and IMCl which I believe has potential and becaue of the hit its relatively cheap. I really plan on making up for the losses I have suffered these past weeks. This are very unpredictable in the market, more than usual which isnt much to begin with anyways.

(I personally hold shares of the above three companies. 75% of my portfolio is ATML.)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:19 am: Edit

yeah I sold ATML on tuesday, before the earnings reports and made about 12 percent in 2 days. Then after the earnings came out, i bought back some shares for much cheaper...and then today i went all in with ATML. It's all about playing the news at certain times...the market was highly volatile this week, there was lots of money to be made. Although, now i'm just going long term with ATML, you know Xiggi it'll probably drop even more, but quite frankly I don't care. Because there is very minimal risk in this one considering its way undervalued and it should be at 8-9 sometime within the next year or so.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page