Crushes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Crushes
By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

What do you do if a girl you really like keeps staring at you during a summer class when she thinks you are not looking. Then when you go up to her to say hi, she gets this nervous "I'm gonna die" look on her face and barely says anything in return?

Plus to make things worse she's always chit-chatting with her group of friends.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

So you like her, and it seems like she likes you. Go ask her out?

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

try this for starts:
when you catch her looking at you, just smile. it could just do the trick.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

I take the road less travelled and say, "Hello."

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

Quote "Then when you go up to her to say hi, she gets this nervous "I'm gonna die" look on her face and barely says anything in return? "

Hi doesn't differ that much from hello.

First make sure she likes you. Sometimes self conscious guys just think girls always stare at 'em when they're actually looking elsewhere. Also you should bring a mirror, maybe you have booger hanging out of your nose.

If she's hot, I doubt she would be shy/nervous. All the hot girls I know are very talkative. However, if you're sure she likes you, then obviously you should ask her out.

Never let a group of friends intimidate you. Think of them as individuals. Just talk to the one you like, maybe pretending you need help with a problem or something or you want to see what she got for question 12.

Try this line:

1. Are your parents retarded?

"Why?" she asks.

Cuz your special.

Its extremely stupid, I tried it on a girl who "supposedly" liked me but I had a girlfriend at the time so I told her the crappiest pickup line I knew for fun. She thought it was funny and she actually liked me more afterwards, which was bad for me cuz I didn't like her that way. Anyways, from my experience, girls just think its hilarious.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

I'm a girl and I think it's mean. I like boys who ask questions. Or, how about giving her a random present (anything, a wildflower, a rock, I don't know, something interesting) it certaintly sparks conversation, then you don't have to think of things to say.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Has anybody actually given you a rock?

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

*The class starts. She's talking with her friends. The teacher begins her lesson*

Out of nowhere you stand up, everyone stares as you walk across to the girl. "Here's a rock".

Yeah great idea geniusash. Quite the misnomer.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

Walk over, say "Excuse me", embrace her, and give her a long, passionate kiss. Then walk away and pretend nothing happened.

Or the rock thing. Either way should work.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

she is nervous because she is not comfortable with the feeling of rejection, make her feel welcome and appreciated with a smile every once in awhile...being flirtacious wouldn't hurt at this point...smile and do as she does, u said she looks away when you see her...try doing that once...take a good look at her and shy away when whe looks...this will make it open that the feeling is mutual also it will give her a little confidence to open her mouth and say something worth while :)...

when u guys get the time just go up to her befriend her tell her your name don't ignore the fact that u guys noticed each other...(but don't get cocky and hung up on it)...ask for her number and if she'd like to go out to ________ sometime

note: ideally you would want to do this away from her friends...girls are completly different from when they are with other girls that they know (they try and front).

be yourself, be confident, have fun......
and always use protection :)

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

Duke, wow, yeah, making fun of the mentally challenged is a *much* better idea \sarcasm. Everyone's different, I suppose. The rock thing would work for me here is how the conversation would go.
DD=OP SG=Shy girl
DD: Hey, um, here..I got this for you.
SG: Uh...thanks?
DD: Yeah, I suppose that's a pretty lame way to start a conversation but, for some reason, I'm so intrigued by you.
SG: Yeah...you are lame. But oh so receptive to my feminine stares.
DD: Let us ride off into the sunset together and make love in a grassy meadow.

Okay...maybe not the last part. I guess it all depends on the maturity/humor/intelligence/outgoing attitude of the girl. Around their friends insecure girls will "front". Secure ones won't. I would find the guy clever and funny, and I would know he was truly interested in me.

By Allena (Allena) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

Very simple answer for you. Simply think of a question about the class (regardless if you know the answer or not) ask her, and go from there. It'll start conversation and, as with all conversations, will naturally digress from there and you'll be talking to her without a problem.

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

If you think she's staring at you, then she probably is. And kudos to you for picking up on tricky girl signals--very perceptive! Asking about something in class is golden, I've used it a few times myself and it hasn't failed yet to strike up an amicable conversation. As for a possible gift, I have a small collection of CDs that various guys have given me. It's thoughtful, personal, and cheap! Perfect for a no-pressure present.

By Gidget (Gidget) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

If your a little shy you can always pull the "study together' thing... if used effective, no studying will be needed

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Just start talking to her. If she's staring at you and stuff, she's not gonna be totally repulsed by you.

Sorry geniusash, I laughed pretty hard when I saw the rock idea. I suppose it WOULD be pretty interesting, however. Definetely a good way to strike up a conversation because it's so unusual. I don't think I'd do it though.

Good luck deferredude, update us on what happens!

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Class finally ended today after we took the semester final. I approached her and just told her that I liked her. She kind of blushed and said she liked me too. But seeing as how classes were done and it was kind of too late to get together we just went off our separate ways. Oh well.

By Etsrep78328 (Etsrep78328) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

I'm beginning to think that an SAT II: Pickup Lines subject test should be designed.

By Loop123 (Loop123) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

(Male Version of the Test)

Question #1: A good-looking girl walks up to you and looks right into your eyes. What do you say?

a) Hey, babe. Whad'ya say we hit it up sometime?
b) You're hot as fiiirre!
c) Get away from me before you tempt me to do something rash.
d) *Pulls rock out of pocket* Here is a rock. Love me now!
e) Say nothing, and walk away.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

none, those are horrible (accept for the rock one).

:)jk

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Indeed, rocks for all! (I am such a dork...)

By Desrtswimer (Desrtswimer) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Loop123,

I have NEVER actually laughed out loud at a CC post. I did to yours. I can just imagine a guy walking up to me and puling out a rock and saying "here is a rock. love me now!" If i knew the guy whatsoever (friend of a friend, class, ect) then i would probably laugh and think it was funny. If i didnt then it would just be odd....but the rock thing might work!

a painted rock would be even better...

By Plot93 (Plot93) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Sounds as if she probably is shy.
I don't have any terrific advice about what you can do.
One thing I can say is that staring at someone doesn't necessarily mean one likes the person he/she is staring at. It's possible to stare at someone for other reasons, such as:
a) the person reminds you of someone you used to know
b) the person looks strange
c) you find the person interesting, or just like observing him/her, though you wouldn't want to go out with him/her.
And there are still more reasons.
Though there's still a good possibility that she does find you attractive.

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

This thread is tremendously hilarious!

However, none of the last few posters seem to have noticed that deferreddude actually *did* speak to la chica, and she affirmed his affirmations. However, he said they went their separate ways.

Ddude, did you at least get her phone number? Because it would be terrifically silly if you didn't.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

totally agree with Neo here. If she said she liked you too, then... well.. DUHHHHH!!!!!@$!#@$ PHONE NUMBER!

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

You were very forward. Good job. I'd usually try to build it up and THEN go for the number. I would have timed my walk to the door so that we would have both reached it at the same time, then felt my cheek and said, "Good shave. You wanna feel it?" And she would have undoubtedly said no with an embarrassed smile, and considered me cute. Or if she didn't like me, she'd pull a "I'm going to vomit" face and run away.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

Good for you DD. But if you didn't get a contact number.. um, d'oh!
Oh well. You'll meet tons of new people in college.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 06:01 am: Edit

And by 'tons' I don't mean that they'll all be fat. Not that's there's anything wrong with being overweight.
Crap, I'm just too tired right now.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

sorry for bumping this but..... i'm the type of girl who would be go competely for the retarded joke and the rock. uniqueness in a guy is what girls want.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

okay, i've seen some interesting things on these thread. Why don't you find out what shes interested in, like what movies and such. Get a little conversation going on, get her number. That night call her up and now that you know what type of movies she likes, ask her out to a movie, since your scared of makin convo with her, perhaps you should bring along friends and make it a group thing. Then when you get more comfortable with her, move it to a 1 on 1 tihng.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

oh man, that rock thing and the comments that followed it were just about the funniest things I've read on these boards...

I laughed out loud... not a smart thing to do when you're interning at a law office and supposed to be researching a car accident that left a guy crippled... but wow.

I can see how the rock thing could work but the way that other people presented it "here's a rock"
was just hilarious.

my cheeks hurt

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

haha poison ivy... i'd go for the rock first and maybe the special joke but only after i heard the punch line... i'd probably get all offended and weirded out by the question at first.

"Are my parents WHAT?" "why?"

'cause you're special'

"oh"

and then I'd probably be flustered and walk away.

which is *probably* why I'm single

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page