now that the olymics are coming...

Real...and underrated:

tennis
gymnastics
pro skating
basketball
hockey
swimming
track (if its a triathalon, pentathlon...etc.)
soccer (although it's bring as hell)

Fake...and overrated:

golf
nascar
motorcross
bowling
poker
baseball (pointless)
football (too fabricated...what kind of sports has 20 coaches on the side line and 100 people telling you what to do from the top?)

can't think of anymore. basically, if you can be overwieght and still compete at a pro level, it's not really a sport.

agree or disagree???

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Baseball, football ... are you kidding?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

real
snowboarding
surfing
skiing
skateboarding

poker isn't a sport its a game
bowling seems along those same lines with darts and pool.

Baseball is a sport- the only sport I have ever had season tickets for and one that engages minds and hearts throughout the us for decades
http://www.powells.com/authors/gould.html

By Waffle (Waffle) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Golf and Bowling (and there are others) aren't even real sports, but they're competitions. In theese competitions, there's no interaction between the opposing people, so they shouldn't even be considered a sport. The opposing team will not affect how well you score in golf and bowling, they're pointless.

By Fenix_Three (Fenix_Three) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I agree with OP. Football, while it does require a lot of energy to play, is not a game of intelligence. All of the plays are worked out beforehand, all of the action happens in 20 seconds, and there are breaks after every time the ball falls on the ground. I mean, soccer is more prestigious. In soccer it's hard as hell to score and while the coaches try to prep the players it's always up to the atheletes to make split-second decisions while they're on the field. Baseball is Fcking hitting a ball with a stick and running in a circle. A game for statisticians and hotdog lovers. Basically any activity which requires some intelligence, spacial ability, speed, and muscle power is a sport in my mind.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Technically, only baseball, football, and basketball are real sports...if you listen to George Carlin.

Because golf and bowling are the only sports I really play, I must defend them. If you think that the opposition has no effect on your game, ask someone bowling against Pete Weber or golfing against Tiger Woods.

Both sports take an incredible amount of skill for one to be good at. You have to be a physics GOD to master bowling (and billiards as well). Oil, carry, the drilling of your ball, what material everything is made of, etc. Golf takes great skill as well, and both are highly competitve. They just appeal to a more specific audience- you have to really play the sport to appreciate it. Sure they may not be as entertaining to watch, but they are very difficult to play.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Lacrosse is fake, Garbage sport.
Only real sports to me are...Soccer, Footbal, Basketball, Golf, and Tennis.
How can you not like football?? hmmm...

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Football doesn't require intelligence?
Tell that to a quarterback -- try recognizing defenses, making audibles, going through progressions. Not only does it take intelligence, but it must be done very, very quickly.

Baseball requires intelligence (making pitch calls, recognizing patterns in pitching), speed in defense and hitting (quickness too w/ your hands), muscle power (try hitting a little round ball with a wood bat 400 ft). I challenge you to face 90 mph fastballs mixed in with all sorts of sliders, etc. and say it is not a sport. Oh, then go catch a double header and say it doesn't take any physical endurance.

I think some of the things people say about sports like football and baseball is because they really don't understand the sports at all.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

ANYTHING IN THE OLYMPICS IS A SPORT. ANYTHING NOT IN THE OLYMPICS IS A GAME.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Hmmm, so curling is a sport and football isn't ...

By Allena (Allena) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Generally speaking the 4 big sports are considered: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey. I'd also throw in most everything else above listed... Off the top of my head the only ones I'd consider removing is poker, that's not a sport. I'd say the same goes with pool, it's a game not a sport. National Spelling Bee a sport, I'm not feeling that one either.

By Zero (Zero) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

i think the best sports are lacrosse and ice hockey. i have no clue what sports aren't 'real' sports, but i don't really care.

By Efilsiertaeht (Efilsiertaeht) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Waffle- does the opposing team affect how you do while swimming? running? Are swimming and running therefore not sports? Your theory does not work.

By Waffle (Waffle) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

"Waffle- does the opposing team affect how you do while swimming? running? Are swimming and running therefore not sports? Your theory does not work."

The opposing team doesn't affect how you do while swimming or running; they're competitions.

By Insanity (Insanity) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

competitive marching band is a sport... even our cheerleaders think so

By Waffle (Waffle) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Go Marching Band

By Below_Average (Below_Average) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

cheerleading is a sport

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

My personal belief is that the more calories one burns playing a sport....the more that sport is a sport. Of course, based on that statement, staircase climbing could have the potential to be the most "realistic" sport. :-D

By Philntex (Philntex) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I'll third marching band, haha.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Baseball is a sport, damnit. Cricket isn't a sport. hehe.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

A sport is something that requires athleticism. Baseball does not require athleticism thus it is a game. I will say that it does require good hand-eye coordination and the skill to make decisions under pressure. Baseball is the only "sport" **cough game cough** in which a person can be fat (with the exeption of sumo wrestlers & football linemen who need to be fat to block) and still be able to play competitively. When have you seen a fat basketball player, soccer player, runner, swimmer, etc.

Baseball is a GAME which requires skills that are not athletic.

By Ktsmo (Ktsmo) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

"baseball (pointless)"

Are you INSANE?! I know one hundred people who would shoot you if they heard you say that, myself included. Baseball/Women's Fastpitch Softball is such a strenuous sport! Not only does it require extreme physical endurance, but also involves a TON of strategy! There's so many tiny things that can be changed and that can ultimately win a game!!! GEEZ!

I need an inhaler. And I don't even have asthma.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

There are exceptions in baseball -- that's granted. But go tell the best baseball players that they are not athletes -- look at guys like Barry Bonds, Nomar Gaciaparra, etc. They are athletes in every sense. There are fat basketball players -- Shawn Kemp, Oliver Miller, etc. -- by the way. These exceptions doesn't make basketball any less of a sport so why does it for baseball because of guys like Bengie Molina?

Let's take a look at some baseball players. Carl Crawford could have played football or basketball professionally but chose baseball. Is he not an athlete? Tony Gwynn was actually drafted as a basketball player. Drew Henson played baseball (wasn't good enough) and is now playing football. Are you serious saying that these people are not athletes or that they don't have to be to be good at baseball?

How about instead of making these judgements, you go watch thelast five minutes of Baseball Tonight (Web Gems) and see some of the amazing feats of athleticism that are made every single day. It's truly amazing.

By Ktsmo (Ktsmo) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Also.

I love Derek Jeter.

:sob:

I can't believe there are people that don't like baseball, which means they don't like baseball players, which means they don't like Derek Jeter.

He's the greatest short stop of ALL TIME. And he's also really really really hot. :-D

By Erinvert (Erinvert) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Besides the fact that baseball is quite possibly the best sport ever...rugby has to be the realest sport. Take a bunch of guys and tell them to go kill each other. The ball is just there to make the chaos more platable. And when they pick their fellow players up by the ankles so they can catch the ball--awesome.
You've got to support cricket though. Any game that has planned snack breaks has got to be cool. :)

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Dude seriously work on your reading comprehension. I never said that baseball players weren't athletic (many are)- I said that baseball doesn't REQUIRE athleticism thus making it a game like golf. You don't need to have stamina or other athletic qualities. I will concide the point that it does require lots of mental work (hand-eye coordination, decision making under pressure, etc.). I pointed out that some baseball players are fat in order to prove that athleticism is not a requirement (Most of those fat players are very good hitter just because of all the weight they pack).

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

"Dude seriously work on your reading comprehension."

"Are you serious saying that these people are not athletes or that they don't have to be to be good at baseball?"

That's a direct quote so maybe someone else needs to work on reading comprehension (see the second part). The other parts were just to prove that there were many, many athletic baseball players contrary, but that was not really directed at your comments.

Name some "fat" players. Secondly, go catch or pitch nine innings and see if baseball requires any stamina. Also, there are "fat" players but they are the exception. If you look at the majority of best players you will see a pattern of conditioned athletes -- that's about as close to showing that athleticism is required as possible.

Last note: Baseball is a little different because you also have to recognize that different positions have different requirements.

By Bartoastt (Bartoastt) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

ROWING IS A SPORT

baseball may be a sport but its boring as hell and the players barely break a sweat.
football on the other hand, rules. i'd say that it's second only to crew

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

Are you kidding me? Opponents don't have an effect on your score in golf, waffle? Have you ever heard of "match play"? Its a form of golf in which you practically base your entire method of play around your opponent and what they have done on the hole. For example, if your opponent hits a bad tee shot and is in trouble, you play it safe and hit a lesser club off the tee instead of doing something reckless. By the way, this is the form used in the US Amateur Championship, one of the biggest and most important events of the year.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

We all know this debate is guys vs. girls. Girls generally don't play sports like football or golf so its not a surprise they wouldn't think of them as real sports.

By Feenotype2 (Feenotype2) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

Annika Sorenstam (God, I probably butchered the spelling). And the entire LPGA tour.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

The two fakest of all fake sports:

1. Lawn bowls
2. Petanque

Oh my god... these two make golf seem like WWF wrestling.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

I am very aware of the LPGA, but the ratio of male golfers to female golfers is still very large. I know where I live a high school team might have about 12 or 13 guys and possibly 1 or 2 girls.

By Uknowwho42 (Uknowwho42) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

ULTIMATE FRISBEE IS LIFE

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Wow... Football not a sport? Baseball not a sport? I'd be turning over in my grave right now, if I were dead. Let's address some points.

Criticizing football for having breaks between plays is like criticizing high school wrestlers for "only" having 3 minute periods. When you're going absolutely all out, which you have to be doing to avoid getting killed, it's impossible to go on forever. Even the best Olympic sprinters can only go for, what, 800 meters? Soccer takes stamina, but there is a significant amount of time spent passing the ball around.

Now, I have no idea how football is "not a sport" because of the number of coaches. The number of coaches is so high because of the complexity of the game. The game is all about specialization. Would you criticize your lawyer for not being able to operate on your knee? No, then why would a football line coach know how to teach quarterbacks?

If you anti-footballites would only watch a practice, or even play a game of Madden, you'd see that the "plays that are already drawn out" are not quite so simple. I'm a quick learner with a good memory, and I still had problems memorizing my high school's playbook last year. Our playbook was probably 1/10th the size of an NFL player's, if that. You have to learn not just each play, but how it works against every type of defense you might encounter. Then, you have to learn audibles (a way for the quarterback to change a play at the line of scrimmage). Defensively, things are similar, although maybe not as complicated. Still, there are automatics, or certain adjustments that have to be made based on the offense's formation. These have to come quick, as the offense doesn't have to wait for you to get set.

Things don't get easier once the ball is snapped. Each player will have specific keys to read (things like, did the tight end block ahead, or block down), and he also has to be aware of the overall picture (is it a pass or a run?).

I could go on, but I doubt anyone's read this far. If nothing else, I'd like you guys to see and recognize the intellectual (well, maybe strategical is the better word) aspect of football, a sport/game/competition that I absolutely love.

As for baseball: "Hitting a round object with another round object as it is moving, is the hardest thing to do in all of sports." Ted Williams (arguably the greatest hitter of all time).

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:02 am: Edit

OK once and for all, addressing the fact that baseball is not a sport.

Whether an athlete is "fat" or not is no way to judge whether it is a sport.

Baseball players need lots and lots of SPEED, STAMINA, and STRENGTH.

Speed to run to the bases, or to the ball and pick it up and throw it.

Stamina to last through a 9-inning game. (have you ever tried squatting behind a plate for 4 hours? It hurts like a b****.)

Strength to be able to throw a ball far, pitch a ball fast, and hit a teeny tiny ball very very far.

The end. =D

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:30 am: Edit

Poker is a sport, poker tourneys are mentallty demanding and your back stiffens up. ok so it might not be a sport, but it's an amazing game, with more strategy than any other big time sporting games.

By Gidget (Gidget) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

Okay, Haithman who said that Lacrosse is not a sport is in some serious need to be thrown ona Lacrosse feild and play it... Football is a sport, Baseball is a sport and yeah for the person who said Cheerleading is a sport- Cheerleading ( competitive levels) ranks the most sports injuries of any other sport per year.

Now for whoever said if it is in the Olympics it's a sport if it isn't it's not... thats Just stupid. Rugby is not an Olympic sport ( until 2008) so that makes it not a sport.... It's about the most physically demanding sport of all and requires a lot of on feild decisions and plays without coaching assitance.

p.s- Darts, bowling and poker not a sport....
Golf is.

By Hsun (Hsun) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

chess is a real sport; so is math league. lol...

By Jdm2004 (Jdm2004) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

How can anyone say that in running their competition has no effect on them its a race and the only purpose of running in the first place is to beat the opposing runners. And baseball obviously does require athleticism and toughness try telling pedro martinez or roger clemens when he's throwing 95 in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded that he doesnt need athleticism so suceed

By Milemarker7 (Milemarker7) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, but anyone who says that baseball, football, or running are not sports is an idiot...simple as that.

And what's the deal with people saying "no, that's not a sport. it's a competition". You cannot possibly be serious if you are trying to differentiate between a sport and competition. Baseball/football/running all involve competitition, yet they are all still sports.

Seems like some of you have been skipping high school gym class...

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

A real sport is one where the winner is determined by the out come of the player's actions, like football, basketball, tennis, swimming, etc.

A fake sport is one where the winner is determined by a judge's score, like gymnastics, diving, or ice skating.

By Chemgirl (Chemgirl) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Real Sports: cycling (look at Lance Armstrong-that is definitely an athlete!), swimming, diving, football, basketball, running, baseball, tennis, soccer, ballet (yes, I'm serious), ice-skating, gymnastics, surfing, skiing, boarding, basically anything that requires the athlete to actually be in shape (not overweight), train intensely, ect...

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

If that were true, Clickspring, then Monopoly would be a sport, now wouldn't it? Basically EVERYTHING would be a sport. I'm an avid poker player and even I will admit that it is not a sport. It requires no physical ability and cannot be practiced in any way.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Give me a break. Go get a dictionary and look up "sport."

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Pingpong is a real sport.

Seriously. It really makes you sweat.

Have you ever watched competitive pro ping-pong matches? It's frickin' insane how fast the balls go and how accurately you have to hit them. The players' reflexes are tremendous and they are always sweating like hell.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

sport: connotation a physical activity that usualy involves teams and points are tallied to determine the winner
denotation: #

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.

# An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
# An active pastime; recreation.

according to the definitions everything here can be classified as a sport except monopoly poker and ww(f/e) wrestling(thats drama)

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Badminton is a sport!

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Yeah, I was just using monopoly as an example of why somebody's logic about what constitutes a sport would be incorrect.

By Gxing (Gxing) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Table Tennis (pingpong) is definitely a sport. It's in the olympics, and it does make you sweat. (ty takius).

I would know; I play table tennis competitively...

www.usatt.org

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

Table tennis is as much of a sport as tennis is.

By Gxing (Gxing) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

agreed.

By Coqui (Coqui) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

ping pong isn't anywhere near tennis. sure it may make you sweat, but so does golf and betting 1,000,000 dollars in poker. Are they sports now? ping pong is just a game, who cares if it's in the olympics, so is curling and that ball tossing ballet thing.

ok, so football and baseball may be THE "american sports". who cares? baseball doesn't require and real endurance. seriously, you go up swing, and if you miss you go sit back down under the shade....wow. and the out fielders are just standing there most of the time. the only person who needs to have an extremely good skills is the pitcher...and he doen't even have to pitch the whole game. maybe if thre were less players on a team and it was a faster game, i'd consider it a sport.

football is just stupid because half the players are overwieght and just push around the other fatties on the other team. again, only the quarterback has skill and what kind of sport needs a billion people watching in the coach's box to tell to the other coaches on the field who then tells the quarterback...over a friggin headset? yeah the field may be loud, but honestly, can you play on your own?

oh...and cheerleading a sport? ha

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

"football is just stupid because half the players are overwieght and just push around the other fatties on the other team. again, only the quarterback has skill and what kind of sport needs a billion people watching in the coach's box to tell to the other coaches on the field who then tells the quarterback...over a friggin headset? yeah the field may be loud, but honestly, can you play on your own? "

WOW. You guys need to stop studying and open your eyes up better to the sports world. football not a sport?? HA. Football is probably the toughest and most demanding of all sports (hence they have the shortest season and still make equal $$ to all other major sports)

I don't think anyone on the field is overweight. Some lineman are 300 pounds + but they are strong as hell.

If not for the offensive coordinators, coaches and "headsets" there would maybe be a whole 5 first downs a game. It is needed, learn the sport you sound like an ignorant jackass.

Only the quaterback has skill? Every single player on the field is skillfull in their own right. Do you have the speed, agility, strength, intelligence to be a running back? probably not. Do you have the size, hands and heart to be a Tight end? doubtfull. Can you run patterns to the t, have the hands to catch the ball like a carton of eggs and skill to make big plays like a Wide Reciever? keep dreaming.
...I'll do defense for you too if you want.. I mean I can keep going....

How many of these dumbfounded critics have ever actually put the books down and even attempted to play football? (video games don't count)

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Wow. I can't even respond to that last one... WOW

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I was referring to Coqui's post. Thanks for doing it for me, Scubasteve. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Coqui is female, because I really don't think any guy would say that.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

"Table tennis is as much of a sport as tennis is. "

You can say as much. Tennis requires the same attributes as table tennis plus more which gives it the edge. What is it tennis players cover somewhat of 3 miles during the course of a match? You need to be in top physical condition for tennis. Table tennis you cant say the same for.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

All sports are worthless, IMO. And they're all incredibly boring.

Oh, except volleyball, which is a real sport, as it is the only one I actually play or would ever want to play.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Yeah, video games are where its at, right?

By Gidget (Gidget) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

First off -- Go Scuba Steve... Anyone that thinks that football is not a sport should step onto a feild and see if they can handle it... second off Jer 728.. your sexist remark is not needed at all. .I ama girl and personally know a lot about football and other sports... more than some boys I know .....so can you hold back onthe grand generalizations in the future .. thank you...

Coqui- I respect eveyones opinion and am sure you have a reason for your "awnser" but it's just not so.. Football is a very demanding sport and requires a great deal of skill and more teamwork and team effort from all players not just QB's.

P.s Cheerleading is a sport and requires multiple people working together on complicated stunting menouvers that must be done precisly to ensure the safetly of the tops who are being thrown. I am not talking about side of sporting event cheerleading.. i am talking about comeptitve, high level stunting cheerleading...

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

"Synchronized swimming is not a sport. Mud-wrestling is a sport."

- Al Bundy (Al Bundy's Ten Commandments, from Married with Children)

By Tdizzo (Tdizzo) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Here is a very basic rule I have created (over the course of many, many arguments) of what constitutes a sport:

Someone must physically try to stop you from succeding. That's it.

Ex. In football you must score a touchdown to score, however, someone will physically stop you by tackling you. (SPORT)

Ex.2 In Swimming you swim from one end of the pool to the other as fast as you can while racing against someone else. (NOT A SPORT)...disclaimer...I have nothing but respect for swimmers, it is probably one of the most mentally/physically demanding athletic competitions around...but it still ain't a sport

I think this establishes a reasonable guideline for determining what is and isn't a sport

By Tdizzo (Tdizzo) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

And another thing...

Anyone who tries to say that football/baseball is not a sport has never participated in either. I defy anyone who has ever succesfully competed in any sport say that football/baseball is not a sport. Baseball/football are the ultimate sports because they require you do more then one thing, i.e. it's not just one motion/excercise/anything. IN order to be succesfull at either of these sports you must be multitalented. Football for example requires aspects of numerous other athletic competitions strength (weightlifting) running (track) jumping (hurdles/highjump) hand eye coordination (baseball/any true sport every invented/anything involving athleticism) grappling (judo) and you could go on for days...

By Gxing (Gxing) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Many of you are probably the type that think pingpong (table tennis) is a basement game, similar to foosball. The truth is, you simply don't know enough about it.

I completely agree that table tennis doesn't make you sweat as much as tennis does, but that doesn't make it not a sport.

Coqui - What in your mind actually is a sport???

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

I don't play baseball, but it seems to me that most of the players are overweight. How can you be a batter if you have a big ponch hanging over your belt? It is DEFINITELY a sport, but I wouldn't call it "the ultimate sport." When I played softball in P.E, it was mostly just standing around, waiting for something to happen. When I play tennis, I'm running like hell, and everytime I reach down to pick up a ball I can see my sweat dripping down. Tennis is mostly a game of endurance which is why you don't see many people over 30 kicking ass (Agassi is an exception, though I believe he's having HIP problems now). Though I doubt tennis is the ultimate sport either. I'm thinking along the lines of football. But I haven't played it properly, I've only played it wearing a belt of flags.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

How can you say Table Tennis is not as much a sport as Tennis is?

Sure, Tennis involves distance running and a lot of power...

Table Tennis, on the other hand, requires an insane level of response time, agility, accuracy, and precision that can't be seen in Tennis.

Table tennis -does- require you to be physically fit. It's more of short bursts of energy compared to the more endurance-geared Tennis. I've never seen a pro pingpong player that wasn't lean and fit.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, many of us are bias in this debate because of the sports we play. As a golfer, I am firmly convinced that golf is in fact a sport. Were I not a golfer, I most likely would have a different view. I also know swimmers who would laugh at the idea that swimming is not a sport. That is simply because they have personal knowledge of how physically intense and challenging it is. In summation, this is a debate which will last as long as physical competition is present.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Gidget, I only said that because I have actually heard several female friends of mine say almost the exact same thing as Coqui in the exact same tone. And yes I am aware that there are many girls who know about sports....

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Scubasteve:
"tennis players cover somewhat of 3 miles during the course of a match"

I sure as hell dont cover 3 miles..

By Gxing (Gxing) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

once again, I agree with takius (see thread in high school issues).

for those interested, here's a funny table tennis video clip.

http://www.princeton.edu/~puttc/godlypingpng.asf

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Oh, I have that clip saved on my com. That truly is a sport. Just look at it! AMAZING! That flip. Whoa.. dude...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page