Taking a year off

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Taking a year off
By Katiya (Katiya) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

what is the general opinion of taking a year off among all of the crazy 4.0 GPA, 1600s SATs, and 100+ hours of community service & leadership kids around here? do you consider it?

i'm considering it. i'm not one of you freaks, but i thought here would be a nice place to discuss what to do. anyone done/know anyone who has dome something reallly cool? i like hearing about people's adventures, so feel free to share.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

My dad wants me to take a year off to go to Venice with him, and I'm actually considering deferring. However, I've been looking forward to college for so long that the thought of putting it off is almost painful. On the other hand, the experience would be great--living in a foreign country for a year.

Katiya: what are you thinking of doing?

By Kfergy (Kfergy) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

I'm planning on graduating a year early, and being a study abroad student for a year. I don't know if I would go to college after that though. I think taking a year off is the best thing for me to do, since I don't really know where my life is going right now.

By Katiya (Katiya) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

oh, i dunno. i have only just begun to consider this as a possibility. the things i would like most to do are work/intern, volunteer, and/or travel. i'm looking for some combination of the three. i could work for a few months then travel for a few months. perhaps i could find work in another country or volunteer in another country. i really have no clue what i want to do specifically, just generally. my plans do not include sitting around my house. whatever i do, i want it to be very different from what i'm used to, far away too.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

I think if you're more psyched about the prospect of travelling for a year or doing whatever than going to college, definitely look into deferring. It's not like you'll never go to college. You can apply and then decide to defer, right? So that gives you a bunch of time to decide and see where you get in and all that. Good luck with whatever happens.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

just make your first year of college an 'adventure' by going out of state.

and stop calling us Freaks.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

I would get bored. 365 days is a long time. Spending a year vacationing is something you do when you pass 65.

By Katiya (Katiya) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Idiias-my adventure is going to cost a lot less than $40,000. but you are freaks. how about irregularities?

Aim-what if you die before you reach 65? why wait until you have bad knees and your memory is going?

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:11 am: Edit

Well if you want to take a year off, do make sure that you're always occupied. September is 2 months away and I'm already dying of boredom.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

Katiya- You're probably one of those girls who eats thier fries without ketchup.

P.S. just study abroad, that's an adventure

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Idiias~
You're on vacation (I knew Canada was boring, but c'mon...)
~Ashley

By Katiya (Katiya) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

ew, fries without ketchup? no way.

By Tdizzo (Tdizzo) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

I know several people who defered admission at places like Brown to take a year off. Many of them had an amazing experience. Personally I went to college straight out of high school and had a marvelous time...but everyone needs to do something different. For example my friend took the entire year off and hiked/lived/worked in Chile. That's an experience you can't get just doing study abroad.

As far a finding something to do? That's laughable. YOu will not "get bored. 365 days is a long time." Though this does come with a word of caution: make sure you have something to do. My cousin hiked the appalachian trail (for those of you who don't know I believe it begins somewhere in Appalachia perhaps and ends in Canada...she later did the Pacific Crest Trail...Mexico to Canada) There is nothing wrong with taking a year off. IT's exactly what deffering is for.

And yes, anyone with a 4.0 and 1600 hundred is a freak. Go outside and live a little. I got into one of the best schools in the country without an hour (that's righ 1hr) of community service.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Hey! What have you got against community service!? Perhaps some of us actually do community service to help save the world, and not for some obscene personal satisfaction.

You could always go abroad and do some community service in some place like Africa, Southeast Asia, Central America, etc. It'd definitely be a life-changing experience and would probably give you a clearer picture of what you wanna do in life. I'm actually considering to do it myself. But I have a year to decide, so it's cool.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

I feel someone must stand up for the 1600/4.0 people. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're a freak.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

katiya- I love how you ask advice from people you call freaks.Then when you get your advice you debate it, if it's not what you want to hear.
You clearly know you want to take a year off, but just started this thread to justify it to yourself. Sorry you're not getting it. lol

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

katiya- I love how you ask advice from people you call freaks.Then when you get your advice you debate it, if it's not what you want to hear.
You clearly know you want to take a year off, but just started this thread to justify it to yourself. Sorry you're not getting it. lol

YEESSSSS!!!!!

i second that motion...FREAK!!! :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

Idiias, but fries without ketchup are so much better. You can taste the potato-ness a lot more.

I don't like condiments very much.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:13 am: Edit

well i don't like u very much!!! (said the ketchup)

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:15 am: Edit

champu es mejor! No, acondisionador es mejor!

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:17 am: Edit

Magoo, ketchup and I have a truce going. If I don't eat it (immediate death to ketchup), it won't stain my clothes. Ever.

Me gusta champu que puede ayudar con alisando mi pelo.

Gosh, my Spanish is rapidly dying over the summer.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

mine is already dead...i had to bury it in the back yard. :(

me gusta pollo...MUCHO...HAHAHAAAAAA!!! (That was horrible)

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I like fries without ketchup.... but then I don't like many things. I'm trendy *** vegan.

BTW, I saw the pajama thread. What is the correct pronounciation of ketchup? Cat-sup? Ket-sup? Catch-up? Kett-up?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page