Mac vs. PC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Mac vs. PC
By Scholar (Scholar) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I am looking into purchasing a laptop that I plan to use in college. I am considering purchasing an Apple Powerbook (i heard they are more reliable), but it seems like everyone has a PC (Windows XP). Are there any drawbacks to using Mac notebooks in college instead of notebooks that use Window XP?

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

they are a lot more expensive. the 15" powerbook i was looking at sold at 2500.00! a PC notebook with roughly the same specs can be bought at a helluva lot less. every cent saved goes a long way in the realm of college purchases

By Renobi888 (Renobi888) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

if you buy through apple, there are huge discounts on Powerbooks and ibooks.
The 12 in powerbook and 14 in ibook are both reasonably priced.

Pros-
OSX (more secure)
lighter weight
Office (yeah Microsoft makes Office for Mac too)

Cons-
Games....the utter lack of them.

there are more pros and cons...but i could only think of those few fo now.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

there really aren't that many drawbacks. Most people do use Windows, however there isn't anything that you MUST have a PC for(except some programs if you're doing math or computer science). Office 2004 is for Mac(some say it's better than the XP version), and is fully compatible with the Windows version. Internet Explorer is for Mac(although Safari works MUCH better, is faster, and comes with an installed pop-up blocker). If there is a program that you MUST have, you can always install Virtual PC which emulates the Windows environment(however you need a really good Mac for it, as it tends to run sluggishly).

Reasons to get a Mac:
no viruses(most are written for Windows, and Windows keeps all of its internet ports open, while Mac OS keeps them closed)
the Mac OS uses memory in a better way, so if you're downloading a huge file, it won't slow down other programs.
compatibility with many Windows only programs, so there's no need to get a PC
comes with lots of cool programs pre-installed(iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand, iCal, iSync, Preview, Sherlock(REALLY useful), DVD player, Quicktame, etc.)
more userfriendly, the OS just makes more sense than XP
faster than XP
voice recognition software part of OS(really cool). Instead of typing out www.collegeconfidential.com, or going to bookmarks/favorites, just hold down Esc(or say "computer" or whatever word you program it for), and say "College Confidential", and it'll pop up(you have to program each site. Just say "make this page speakable", type in what you want to say to make it load, and that's it!)
Macs just look cooler

I've used PCs for all of my life. I just switched to Apple after months of looking at the site, researching pros and cons, and being fed up with XP problems, viruses, etc.(even after i installed Norton, and deleted viruses). I have my new 12" PowerBook(got it about 2 weeks ago), and i LOVE it, and I know there's no reason to go back to the PC.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Also remember that you can't compare Apple processor speeds to Intel processors. To get a very rough idea, take the PowerPC(Apple) speed, and double it to get the Intel speed. So, for the 12" Powerbook, it is 1.33 Ghz, so that's roughly 2.7-2.8 Ghz for a Pentium. The reason is that each processor uses different architecture(RISC vs. CISC), so they process information differently. My laptop is MUCH faster than my 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 Dell desktop.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

whatever you're used too - go for it.

i'm a stubborn as a pig windows user (as well as a stubborn computer nerd). windows all the way.

anyways, cornellhopeful have a lot of good advice. you should try using an apple somewhere, whether a friend's computer or what-not, and see if you can adjust and like the feel.

one of my close friend's dad is obsessed with mac's... all of their computers are mac's and i get frustrated with them. i'm just a stubborn close-minded windows girl. (since way back when with ms-dos). just my $0.02.

if you aren't as stubborn as me, you should be able to adapt.

p.s. amd athlon processors are pretty good too.

By Outwest5 (Outwest5) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

Both my college daughters got Apples. Neither had ever used an Apple before. #1 got a desktop that looks like a lamp. She has had it for three years now and never had one single problem with it and believe me she has loaded it with stuff including huge music composition programs. Besides which, it was not that expensive and has a tiny footprint (was terrific in the dorm room) and being a desktop (all in one desktop that is) it is not nearly as likely to be stolen. The Apple small desktops use laptop parts and that is how they can be so small.
My #2 daughter got a Powerbook G4 laptop. To save money she got the 12 inch one. She loves it. She connects the laptop to a large extra moniter we had easily with a chord that comes with the laptop when she wants a big screen for some reason. It is very reliable and portable. She even dropped it once with no problems noticed (I don't recommend you test this though). Every program has worked on it and every teacher has been able to get her papers. The professors will all mostly have MAC's, by the way. You can check the school you are attending. DD #1's school is almost exclusively MAC's, but is compatable with all PC's too. Her best friend had a PC lap top hen she came Freshman year. It crashed after about 6 months and she is now on her second one and it will no longer play DVD's, etc. I am sold on the quality of Apples and the long term value of them.

Yes, they are more expensive than PC's, but WOW, what a difference. We bought both at Comp USA because it was 12 months same as cash. Again, if they had waited until they actually got to the schools or at least had their ID card you can get huge discounts on them because they give large studetn discounts. Both also purchased Office for their MAC's at the schools for very cheap. Do they think they were worth the extra money? Heck yah. In fact, since I have seen them in use my next computer will be an Apple. Both of their schools are heavily MAC as are most colleges. One of their schools is fully wireless and the airport cards work great, but the ethernet is good too.

Unless you just HAVE to have a laptop I would still recommend a desktop. You get a lot more bang for your buck and you don't have to stress about theft or drag the darned thing around and they are a lot less money. Yes, laptops are fun, but when you are sitting in a lecture class a pen and paper keeps you engaged with the lecturer a lot more than a staring at a screen taking notes does.
And, yes, theft of laptops on campus is rampant. The DD that has the laptop did go to a jewelry store and have a plate with her name and phone number cemented on the back of it. Just in case she left it somewhere and an honest person found it.

Two types of students who NEED to get MAC's over PC's:
Anyone doing anything with graphics or art manipulations.

Anyone involved in music composition or electronic music. MAC's are the leaders in these areas.

By Scholar (Scholar) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Thanx for the info.

By Ishouldflee (Ishouldflee) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

all of the computer viruses are written for PCs because the holes in their security are... like swiss cheese. We have had Macs in my house forever and never gotten a virus. the PCs get them every month. this makes the macs much more stable for really important essays and things... as my 8 page hamlet essay and my pc taught me... twice. plus the macs are much better designed to handle dsl and cable connections. once you buy office for mac, ull never miss a pc again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page