Acne Scars

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Acne Scars
By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I have about 100000 of them on my face and I hate it. Therefore when I get enough money out of college, I will either get a lazer reduction or collagen injections to get rid of them.

Your thoughts?

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

get proactive

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

What's that?

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

It's proactiv, and it just clears up your face, not remove the scars.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

It'll fade away with time. And hey, if you have 10000 of them, chances are nobody will notice that it's acne- they could just assume your face is just that color.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Lol 100000 was an exaggeration...but it really looks bad.

Will scars really fade with time?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Get a chemical peel if your concerned. Just a basic one should help even out coloring and minimize them. My neighbor did it, and I'm going to also.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Hmm how much does that cost?

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Who cares? It can't be more than 100 and it definetly works. Britney spears/Jessica simpson/ and other famous ppl use it and even endorse it publicly. If that doesnt' convince you, I dunno what will.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

It's must less stressful than something like collagen. As for cost...people try to advertise home chemical peels, but I would feel much safer in the hands of my dermo and a plastic surgeon. Most people have told me around $100, $125, but the results are, as Duke pointed out, great. Who wouldn't want skin like Britney or Jessica? lol. I'd pay $500 for skin half as good. lol. This said, you should visit your dermo and talk about the best option for you:)

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

I checked online and it said that light peels (alpha hydroxy acid) which are good for acne scars, run around $80 each. You'll have to do it about five or six times (two weeks apart each time) to get good results.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

ewwwww BRITNEY SPEARS' skin?

take a look at BRITNEY WITHOUT MAKEUP:
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0903/surreal/worried-wob.jpg

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

Ehh...that pic is disgusting. Maybe if she could just tear that cigarette from her fingers...

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

um, that was a joke....have u ever SEEN britney spears?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Aight, well maybe not Britney...she's screwed her life over anyway. Jessica Simpson on the other hand really does have great skin. And so does my neighbor...lol.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

is that a joke? sorry to be so stupid-- but that cannot POSSIBLY be britney spears..

By Priglet (Priglet) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Talk to a dermatologist. For discoloration, the doctor can prescribe a medication called Lustra (hydroquinone). For texture problems, get an over-the-counter silicone scar minimizer. Try "TriDermaMD Scar Relieve." It is for scar relief from surgery, dermabrasion, etc, but it works on acne scars, too. Some creams, like Aveeno lotions, might help as well--they can be used to cut the sticky silicone gel. These options are cheaper than dermabrasion, parisian peels, etc.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Duke3d4, Smhop: A lot of stars, if not all, wear LOTS of makeup. They usually do not have really great skin. Stage makeup, heavy makeup for photoshoots, etc, takes a big toll on anybody's skin. IE if you have ever seen Cameron Diaz w/o makeup, or Kelly Ripa, or many stars, they don't look too hot. Or take a look at one of those cheesy tabloids.. national enquirer or starr, they have lots of non-makeup shots of stars and some of them look downright hideous. Maybe that pic is not Britney, but there is a good chance that is... regardless, Britney does not look as great as she does in the public if she didn't wear any makeup and had all these folks prepping her up. Same for most stars. And she does smoke.

amen for makeup artists.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

that wasn't britney spears you liar. You must be a blind idiot.

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I can't say what to do for scarring, but lasering does seem to be effective--and I say go for it no matter the cost. Definitely talk to dermatologists (plural), although I have not had much luck with them. As for preventing acne, I've found two ways that work for me: swim a lot (the water flushes out your poors and the chlorine doesn't hurt the cause), and eat a ridiculously healthy diet--broccoli, carrots, dark green leafy things etc. No sugar drinks, and minimum high fat things, and forget about greasy foods like potato chips. Now I know that dermatologists say that it doesn't matter what you eat, that it has no effect on your skin, but doctors don't know everything-- a lesson for life. From my experience, nutrition is vital to good skin. Forget about the medicine, it's overpriced and doesn't work unless you go for the really heavy duty stuff (which has health/sanity risks). I've also stopped using foundation and moisturizer, I have sensitive skin so it made me break out. Good luck, and I sincerely mean it!

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

How bad is your acne? If it is really bad, make an appointment with a dermatoligist and ask to be prescribed accutane. It takes a five month treatment to really work, but you'll never have acne again. The side effects really suck (nose bleeds, dried lips, bad night vision), but you'll be glad you took it.

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

they have that skin creme called mederma... can be used for scars of all types. I had a nasty scar on my knee from a few surgeries due to soccer injuries, used the creme like one of my doctors suggested (it can be a hassle though, as you have to apply it between 2-4 times a day, for up to 2 months for complete satisfaction) and it visibly reduced the look and feel of the scar. Of course, this won't completely get rid of your scars, but my results were impressive. It's fairly inexpensive too, and can be bought over-the-counter at most drugstores. If you've tried most everything, I'd say give this a shot.

Good luck in finding something that fits what you want

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Duke3d4: Okay whatever... maybe it's her or maybe it's not. who really cares!!!! at least it makes us feel better
"regardless, Britney does not look as great as she does in the public if she didn't wear any makeup and had all these folks prepping her up. Same for most stars. And she does smoke."

anyways, just something to humor y'all, more celebs w/o makeup:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celeb.html

i dont care if its true or not, but its amusing and makes regular people like myself feel better

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:43 am: Edit

if u wanna feel better, just try

www.uglypeople.com

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Alicia129 - Yeah I saw that about the Mederma thing. Is it permanent? I didn't see that on the website...

Christina Applegate looks really ugly

And duke...I think all of those photos were photoshopped lol

By Demingy (Demingy) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I highly recommend seeing a good dermatologist. They can let you know what your options are and if you are going to look at chemical peels or something similar, it is really better to have a professional do it. If it isn't done right you could have some permanent scarring.

I tried almost everything on my own for my acne for thirteen years and nothing worked. I finally saw a dermatologist and I am FINALLY acne free. I have scarring now too that I need to work on, but I'll be starting the chemical peels.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

You should like a guy but try it anyways, www.youthful.com Microdermasion will help.

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

NYC, in terms of the scar being reduced for good, then yes, it is permanent. I used it almost three years ago, and have not had to use it since. It's a hassle during the time you're using it, simply because you have to apply it often to get the results you want, but once the application time run out, then you're good to go. I'm sure you could go for longer than 2 months as well, to further reduce the scarring. I would give that a try. However, like everyone else has said, get in touch with a dermatologist.. they can better inform you on how the cream may work for you, or they can suggest other options.

Best of luck to you

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

too bad christina aguilera still looks hot

By Nitokenshi (Nitokenshi) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

How do I find a good dermatologist?

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Ask your primary care physician for a recommendation for the best dermatologist, or ask friends who have gone and what they thought about the doctor they were treated by... all dermatologists basically know what to do in any case (obviously :) ) but if you can find a doctor who has a good reputation, they would be your best bet.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Don't go to a dermatologist, go to your pediatrician. He can write up a note and send you to someone and the cost will be covered by your insurance. But I think they do fade over time, although they might still be visible up close. 6 months ago I had some visible scars on my right cheek, but now most of them have faded on their own.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

WILL U JUST LISTEN AND GET PROACTIV. U don't need doctors when u have drugs.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Duke, Proactiv doesn't work for anyone. In fact, I had an allergic reaction to it. I won't even comment on your last statement because I'm hoping that was a (bad) joke.

By Over30 (Over30) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

My nephew had moderately severe acne with cysts, and he tried several months of proactive and it did nothing at all. His dermatologist recommended accutane but he was scared to take it, so he tried different antibiotic creams, oral antibiotics, prescription creams, everything available. Nothing worked.

He finally agreed to take accutane, but insisted on a lower than normal dose. He had to get blood work done every month (to check for liver problems), had to be checked for depression every month during his office visit (answer questions, talk to dermatologist, doctor talked to his mother), and was questioned thoroughly about any physical or mental problems, aches & pains, etc.

Within 2 months he was visibly better, within 5 months (normal time to take accutane) he was almost cleared up, and by 6 months (end of treatment for him on the lower dose) his face was clear. The scars started fading and within 4 more months all of the scars were gone. He occasionally gets a pimple on his face or back, but that's it. His skin looks like it did before he had acne.

There can be some serious side effects, but the only problem he had was really dry lips and his knees sometimes hurt while he was taking it. He played football so some of the knee pain could have been from that.

By Kmw11187 (Kmw11187) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

I have cystic acne and have been dealing with this for almost 7 years. Anglophile was exactly right...diet has much to do with acne and even the coloration of scars. Pro active isn't worth the money. It does nothing for scars. It reduces redness and blemishes, but so does any other over-the-counter acne cream or medication. Laser surgery and collagen injections only work for certain types of scarring. If your scars are so deep that the bottom layer of skin is damaged (known as an ice-pick scar) then laser surgery or collagen won't work. I found a book in the library titled: THE ACNE CURE by Terry J. Dubrow, M.D., F.A.C.S. and Brenda D. Adderly, M.H.A. Before you see a dermatologist buy or check this book out from your local library. This book explains so much about acne and scarring and what to do about it. I hope this helps. Good Luck

By Marcyr (Marcyr) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

My daughter is on Accutane now, 2nd month of 6, and her skin is already much better. She took Accutane several years ago, but because she was so young then she needed to do another course now. Yes, you have to deal with the dry lips, skin, etc., and the monthly blood tests are a pain, but it's worth it to get rid of cystic acne. See a dermatologist, and get to the root of the problem.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Kmw11187 - What did you do to deal with your scars?

By Kmw11187 (Kmw11187) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Marcyr- My skin is so oily, dry skin would be a blessing! I haven't tried accutane because my mom refuses to let me take it because "it can cause birth defects in your children." I wish she'd let me take it. I've seen what accutane can do. A girlfriend of mine used it to treat her acne and her skin looks great. I've been to a number of dermatologists and they all say it's horomones but that can't be right. They even put me on birth control to regulate my horomones and it didn't go away. I think its genetics. Cystic acne "runs" in my fathers side of the family...and since acne is a dominant gene...here I am dealing with it. - I'm glad I talked to you! I'm going to look up the side effects of birth control and accutane right now. They are both serious...maybe that will be enough to convince her. -I don't know why I hadn't thought of that sooner!-

Nyc- I haven't run across anything that gets rid of scars. I have used about a million and two creams and face washes to lighten the color in them and that didn't work either. The only thing that I've tried that truly works is changing my diet to an all healthy one. That only worked to lighten the color which did make them much less visible. I don't know how bad your scarring is but if it's anything like mine, I don't think anything less than surgery will fix it. I read about mederma up there. I'm going to try that too. It may not get rid of the scarring, but it may minimize the appearence of the scars until surgery becomes an option. I'm sorry I can't help you more with this problem. I know what a burden it is.

By Allena (Allena) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I had a lot of acne when I was 14-15 years old. However for the most part it went away when I had to start shaving on a daily basis. I had some scars however (I'm 19 now) over the years they have faded, and now I've got (generally) clear complexion.

How many adults do you see with tons of Acne scars? I think it's a safe bet to say that they'll fade away over time, it's just upsetting while you have them.

By Marcyr (Marcyr) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Allena - Unfortunately you're not necessarily right about scars fading. My brother-in-law had severe cystic acne when he was growing up, and to this day he has terrible scars on his back, chest and shoulders. Kmw is right to say that acne, especially cystic acne, can be hereditary. That's why my daughter is back on Accutane now - when her skin began to flare badly this past winter, and she started scarring on her shoulders and back, we knew it was time to do something so that she doesn't end up looking like her uncle. Yes, a lot of scars do fade with time, but the really bad ones tend to hang around.

Kmw, the only way Accutane would cause birth defects is if you became pregnant while taking it. That's the primary reason they insist on monthly blood tests (at least for women), although they also want to check for changes in liver function. You have to have a "clean" blood test before you can begin taking the drug, and they make you sign page after page of documents stating that you WILL NOT become pregnant while taking Accutane (and if you do, you have to promise to terminate the pregnancy). The drug causes horrific birth defects in fetuses, hence the insistance that pregnancy is not an option during or immediately after taking it. If signing a document like that would be a problem for you (or for your mother, if you're under 18), then you either need to forget about Accutane or know without a shadow of a doubt that there's absolutely no way you could become pregnant. Have you tried other acne meds, or have your doctors just blamed hormones and gone the birth control pill route? There are tons of really good meds available now - if you haven't run the gamut of them, it may be too soon to push for Accutane. However, if you've tried antibiotics, retin A and all the other wonder drugs to no avail, Accutane is definately the silver bullet of acne meds.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Proactiv has worked very well for my daughter, but she only had mild acne on her forehead. Within two weeks of initial use, her skin became extremely clear and has remained so since starting its use nearly one year ago! It does not work for everyone, I am sure, but it is worth a try for those with mild to moderate breakouts.
It surely saved us a visit to a dermatologist. She is on the company's regular mailing/billing cycle and receives a new supply of the products every three months.

By Kmw11187 (Kmw11187) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

Before I took birth control I tried other meds. I only took two different types. I couldn't tell you the name of them, but I couldn't take either of them for a long period of time. They cleared my skin (a little) while I was on them but as soon as I stopped taking the pills, the acne came back almost twice as worse as it was before I started taking the pills (which is probably what made the dermatologist say horomones was the problem). Anyway, then I told my mom that I wouldn't take pills anymore. After I refused to take the pills, my dermatologist prescribed Differin gel. That didn't work either.I talked to my mom about taking accutane - the side effects and everything. She's thinking about it. (That means she'll let me.) Signing papers like that wouldn't be a problem, even though I definitely won't get pregnant. I hope the dermatologist/ medicine distributer allows me to take it.

By Lamom (Lamom) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Dermatologist just told my son that Differin gel was wonderful-would take 8 wk though, along w/Benzaclin. Well Pharmacy said insurance cost was $97 so I said no. Got it for cost at work $86--So now that I am out $86. I am wondering what Differin did if anything since you say it didn't work. I have a friend who use Accutane as an adult-she says that it helped to lessen the scars-I didn't see the scars till she mentioned them.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I've been on tricyclic antibiotics, a generic antibiotic face wash, and the Differin gel. My dermatologist told me that most people don't see a significant difference for four-six months. Well, I saw him two months later (just a couple weeks ago) and he was shocked because my skin is almost completely clear with just the scarring and some redness from old acne (I'll be getting chemical peels to try to reduce the appearance of the scarring and even the tone).

I really think that the Differin gel helped me the most because it was the only thing I was able to stay consistent on with my schedule. So it really depends on the person.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

kmw - my oldest daughter took Accutane in h.s. bc she had acne since she was in elementary school. She tried everything including proactive and nothing worked. Last resort was Accutane. What a miracle drug. This was before the evidence came out about depression. She was fine on it - in fact, the redness didn't bother her at all knowing that she would not have acne anymore. It has now been 6 years and she is still acne free.
My youngest daughter also is fighting the acne war. She has been on everything too but she will not go on accutane. She is funny about putting chemicals in her body. So the dermatologist has her on antibiotics, she uses differin, and retin A. It seems to work a little for her but she is ok with her level of acne.
Good luck with the dermatologist. I hope they can solve your acne but don't be afraid of Accutane. Many kids go on it but you just hear of the bad things. Just be aware of what is going on and alert family/friends that you are on it so they can watch any signs that you are depressed. In six months it will all be over.

By Lame (Lame) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I saw a show (Dr. 90210) the other night, featuring a woman who had a chemical peel. How she looked in the 2 days after was one of the most disgusting things I've seen. Her skin was bubbling and oozing and in some places bleeding, her face was swollen and red. She had to be fully anesthitized (sp) because apparently it's rather painful (acid peeling off several layers of your skin, I should think so). However, after it all, healing for 4 weeks (it takes 8 to fully heal), she went from having a rather wrinkly face (she was 60 I would guess) to having skin as good as a 30 year old (non-smoker ;))
But maybe this isn't the type everyone here is talking about.

By Wonduhbread (Wonduhbread) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

for anyone who wants to try proactiv, try AcneFree first. it's only $19 and they sell it at wal-mart. 3 step process, benzoyl peroxide. i'm using it and it has made my blemishes fade considerably and my mom says my skin looks really good. just a thought.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

That isn't the type of chemical peel that I'm talking about. I'm talking about what's called a light peel (although some places even call it the "lunchtime" peel) which isn't nearly as harsh. It just causes a little redness that goes away within a day or two. It takes more treatments because it isn't as drastic, but there are also fewer risks.

By Guoster (Guoster) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Are you guys referring to the red dots after pimples go away as acne scars or to the actual dips left in your face? I heard that red dots fade. I don't have any dips, but have some red dots. Anyone suggest anything to get rid of them faster?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page