On Bill Cosby

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: On Bill Cosby
By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

It's reported that he's gonna foot the bill for a couple of minority students. Any opinions on tha man?

By Smhop (Smhop) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Funny you bring him up, I was just discussing him with my grandmother the other day. He is a unique and admirable, accomplished man.

I personally think he is brilliant, and witty.

Some facts: I believe, tough not certain, he holds a PHD in psychology. He appears to be a loving, supportive, yet firm parent-- unlike so many celebs. He has a rock-solid marriage. He is concerned with the wellfare of children and youth. He has staunch family and education values.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I like him a lot. The things he says make soooo much sense. I agreed with much of what he said on news shows and that Rainbow/PUSH forum.

By Girlforever101 (Girlforever101) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I like what he said when he spoke out at Howard University, but this time at the Rainbow/Push forum, it seemed uncalled for and borderline overkill. I do like Bill Cosby, but he blew stereotypes of proportion to make his point.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

I like Cosby a lot. He is an incredibly smart man who had the guts to say something that wasn't PC, even for a black man (reference to his attack on whole hip-hop culture recently).

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

i like him a lot he was one of the only positive black role models during the 1980's with the cosby show...pretty accurate rep. of some black families.

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

The other day I took an AOL poll on one's reaction to Cosby's comments. To my surprise, 93 percent said that he was "right on the money," as it read. For such controversial remarks it was amazing to me to see how many people were right behind him. I guess its one of those topics that nobody really has had the courage to publicly speak out about...until now.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

I think his remarks at the PUSH forum were justified. I do not see how they were borderline overkill in anyway. Bill Cosby knows whats true and is only doing it to help his fellow man.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

EVERYONE is behind him, except for the people he is talking about. I was surprised at first, but it's obvious that everyone agrees with him but won't speak up for fear of an ass whooping. I don't know the numbers, but there's an insane percentage of Blacks that have been in prison at one point in their lives. You see them in school and on the street, and the way they act is just horrible. It's one thing to be funny - a lot of the Black guys at my school crack me up with their antics - but there comes a point when you have to be serious and make an effort to improve yourself, rather than blaming the white man. You CAN'T be politically correct when confronting these issues because that doesn't get through to anyone.

By Girlforever101 (Girlforever101) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Aim78, from what I can tell, you don't really know any blacks. Sure, must've talked to blacks, but I doubt you have any "real" black friends. You laugh at their "antics", but then you condemn the way that blacks act.How can you say a whole race acts horribly, when you don't know a whole race? You automatically assume (like many) that blacks always "blame the white man" when the majority do not. I am certain that these "issues" are getting through to many blacks, but that doesn't mean they're all going to change their ways because Bill Cosby has been trying to put the issues on the front burner.

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

It's a shame, but its quite plain to see where a majority of people get their opinions on the African-American community. Of course, there are many extremely talented, indispensable and brilliant African Americans, but they are so often, and unfairly, overshadowed because of the black communities in major cities -- the exact populations that Cosby was talking about. He goes to great lengths to push the black race forward, and try to make them understand how to better themselves through education. He was right on target when he was discussing the civil rights movement, what people went through for freedom and then how the black community of today (at least a large percentage of them) are throwing it all away. Its very easy to sit back and recognize how people get such poor impressions of the black community, which is sadly mainly done through the media. But, Cosby was right. He's well respected and beloved by so many; I hope he does get what he's trying to say across.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page