What about Dick's manhood and Foulmouth?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What about Dick's manhood and Foulmouth?
By Simba (Simba) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Any views on Chaney's use of F word to another senator?

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

i think he wants to get some

By Insanity (Insanity) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I think it was appropriate..

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

I think it's just another example in a long litany of Republican hypocrisy. They wrap themselves in images of rectitude when they're as bad, if often not worse, as anyone else.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

I think it is embarassing for anyone to say it was appropriate. Just because you support them politically doesn't make them gods with an inability to do wrong.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

I have no problem with him or anyone else saying it. It's a typical expression of anger, many...many people use it. It's in the vocabulary of almost every normal person (at least at some point), so what's the big deal?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

Oh yes, the use of a four letter word is indeed one of the worst offenses that has happened in our capital. :)

Were you that offended by LBJ's occasional lapses in verbal correctness?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

I liked the sticker I saw today

NO Cheney
NO Ashcroft
NO Rumsfeld
NO Bush

( read down)

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

sigh...it was unappropriate at best, sure it is common but come on there is a time and a place for yelling out the F word at someone and i don't think that during a political debate is one...he made a mistake i hope he apologizes or recognizes this (especially before he goes off to bash someone's character or beliefs)...then we can all move on and focus on more important things...PLEASE.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Quite frankly, as a liberal, I think it's BS. It's just an attempt to take a cheap shot at Cheney that isn't even much of a shot. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have said anything at all. Take the high road.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

not that it really matters, but ima liberal too. some would think that i would be so gung-ho to attack him because he said this but come on don't act like you've never said this before...it was BAD, (he could have thought of more eloquent things to say)...but not as bad as other things going on in washington...the city i will call home for the next 4 years :).

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

If you've ever seen Cheney speak, you wouldn't have been surprised. Jon Stewart has repeatedly said that Cheney has the Prince of Darkness within him, just itching to be released in a fiery blaze.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

Sigh...just like the Super Bowl thing, there are more important things to care about then Janet Jackson or the f-word: I'm sick of all this pretend outrage (as Bill Maher would say).

I have no problem with Cheney talking like that, no problem with LBJ, or with any liberal or conservative politician who may feel the need to act human for an instant.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Hunter, the problem isn't saying it. It's the hyporcrisy, like Gingrich promoting family values and then divorcing his wife to marry an aide.
The GOP is always espousing "values" and pretending that their sh!t doesn't stink. And wrapping themselves in the American flag and accusing dissenters of "treason" and "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" and "it's not supporting our troops if you're against our policy in Iraq," not to mention all the actions taken on behalf of the United States of Haliburton.

By Taru (Taru) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Cheney has a long, long history of being foulmouthed. Look back when he was a Senator and you'll find some other crude remarks.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

who the hell cares, that stupid senator was bugging him at a photo shoot. Shows he has some fire in him and not just political bs suavness. Im glad Cheany didnt apologize.

By Hayden (Hayden) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Part of the problem with Cheney's exchange with Leahy was that he wasn't "bugging him at a photo shoot". In fact, according to all the stipulations, Leahy had crossed over to say hello, when Cheney lit into him and began the fight. Why would anyone care that he used the F word? Because it's part and parcel of this whole administrations attitudes of going after the person, and a broad-based inability to work with a broad spectrum of people. They come across as arrogant to the max. As Thedad put it so well - "wrapping themselves in the American flag and accusing dissenters of "treason" and "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" and "it's not supporting our troops if you're against our policy in Iraq," ". They have shown since 2000 not just an inability to try to operate inside a democratic system, but rather a total lack of interest in working with anyone who disagrees, whether it's the Europeans, or even the middle-of-the road Republicans. They treated Senators Jeffords the same way they treated the French.

They tout democracy, at the same time they don't want to practice it.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

hayden, u just lied. Even Leahies spokesman said it was after Leahy got into an arguement with Cheney over Haliburton. Leahy didnt just say hello and get the response, there was an arguement.
From Wash Post: "On Tuesday, Cheney, serving in his role as president of the Senate, appeared in the chamber for a photo session. A chance meeting with Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (Vt.), the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, became an argument about Cheney's ties to Halliburton Co., an international energy services corporation, and President Bush's judicial nominees. The exchange ended when Cheney offered some crass advice...

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

The GOP is always espousing "values" and pretending that their sh!t doesn't stink...

YOU ARE AWESOME :)

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Both parties are full of arrogant SOBs who do equally dirty things that are both hypocritical and low. No party is worse than the other in terms of values...

Please don't turn this into yet another anti-Republican thread, because as long as we're talking about stupid non-issues that you insist on making a big deal and blanket statements about-

I can bring up Clinton...don't make me bring up Clinton.

By Hayden (Hayden) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

bunmushroom - you accused me of lying. Lying by defnition is a knowing misstatement of fact.

Here is the Washington Post, June 25:
" Tuesday's exchange began when Leahy crossed the aisle at the photo session and joked to Cheney about being on the Republican side, according to Carle. Then Cheney, according to Carle, "lashed into" Leahy for remarks he made Monday criticizing Iraq contracts won without competitive bidding by Halliburton, Cheney's former employer.

Leahy, Carle said, retorted that Democrats "have not appreciated White House collusion in smears" that Democrats were anti-Catholic for blocking judicial nominees such as William H. Pryor Jr. Democrats demanded that Bush disavow the allegations by conservative groups, but the White House did not. "

This version does not really differ from the story as you repeated it, except in how you interpreted it. No one said Leahy said "hey, Dick, how's it going? and Dick replied F-you." Of course there was an argument. The point of the story is that Leahy crossed the aisle with intent to be friendly. It's always been a point of honor to senators to be polite in the Senate. In fact there is a rule in the Senate specifically prohibiting any bad language on the Floor during session. Cheney didn't receive a formal reprimandd only because the Senate technically wasn't in session. Cheney showed his true colors.

But the fact that you called me a liar, which by definition conotes intent, without having the slightes idea of my intent, certainly doesn't surprise me.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Im sorry, u are right, i did not know your intent. I should have said mistaken.

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Republicans, just like Democrats, have zero morals and values. But atleast Democrats don't pretend they're as pure as God. BTW...

Bush's military records were "inadvertently" destroyed in the Pentagon!! Yeah right...

I guess i will inadvertently vote for Kerry in November.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Hunter1985...well, don't turn this into an anti-liberal thread...not to be an ass. :)

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

emeraldkity... Think we can put the country on a NO CARB diet?

BTW, Bush thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Too late Magoo, all Democrats are asses...

;)

(...there is a joke in there, that was not an insult).

Politicians in general like to pretend they are as pure as God in order to proove that they should be elected. Yes, the religious right takes it too far, but I think both parties have arrogant traits (morality wise) about them. Again, it's a case by case basis, there is no blanket sentiment about this. But yes I concede that the religious right can give all Republicans a bad rep.

Myself, I'm a Republican (more moderate conservative) and I don't think I'm as infalliable as God...

...it's just so obvious that I'm always right :) . jk

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

hahaahaaa!!!...well, you're all a bunch of old fat elephants...i tried

see hunter...someone appreciates your humor :)

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

FINALLY!!!!!

Magoo gets the official "1337 Stampzorz of Excellence". You have truly earned your own thread, hats off to you. And your response was quite humorous.

*dances around with joy while listening to Weezer's Blue Album :) *

See, we can disagree and still have fun with politics :)

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Wow. This thread has gone downhill.

By Elleneast (Elleneast) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Sorry to contribute to this thread going off topic but......

"The GOP is always espousing "values" and pretending that their sh!t doesn't stink. And wrapping themselves in the American flag and accusing dissenters of "treason" and "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" and "it's not supporting our troops if you're against our policy in Iraq,"

You are preaching to the choir, Thedad. ITA!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page