New modem, old computer...question, please.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: New modem, old computer...question, please.
By Jmom (Jmom) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

This is what I need to do:

"Why am I getting slow connection with my modems?
Answer: Try adding those extra AT init strings to your modem: AT+MS=V90,0 This line will simple lower down protocol from v.92 to v.90."

How do I do that in Windows 98? Long, long ago, I knew how to access the modem string in my Tandy computer, but I can't seem to find it in Windows.

Thanks so much!

By Jmom (Jmom) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

ok, nevermind...I managed to do that, but it didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas why a 56K modem won't connect at more than 37K? :(

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard from people more knowledgable than I am, I don't think phone lines (or most?) aren't capable of that connection speed.

Okay, someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

my modem connects at 45333bps, I think you have to change your initialization string.
Contact your ISP

By Sc_Dad (Sc_Dad) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

56K is the fastest modem speed under ideal lab environment. This is rarely achieved due to a variety of factors such as phone line conditon inside your house, noise on the line, condition of line from your house to the phone company's switching station.

Actually 42-37K was the best I usually achieved. BTW, have you thought about cable modem or DSL?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page