Space camp

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Space camp
By Emilia (Emilia) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I'm heading off for a 6-day stay at Space Camp in AL in a few weeks.

Has anyone here been there? And what did you think? Were the other people at camp generally nerdy/brainy or were they just deadbeats?

Specifically, I'm going to Advanced Space Academy because of my age, and this is supposed to earn me one college credit at the University of Alabama. Of course I'm not going there, but if anyone has done this before, has the college you've ended up at accepted the credit?

And do you think this should even be mentioned on college applications, or is it just a strictly fun experience?

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

I don't see why it shouldn't be mentioned on apps.

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I went to space camp when I was younger, and last summer, when I was 17, I went to a program at that same facility--the aviation challenge one. No, it was not only brainy or nerdy people. I had a wonderful time and met people of all different types from all over the US, and even a guy from overseas. I didn't get any college credit for it, but I did put it on my apps, because it related to my major. (aerospace engineering) It is not a strictly fun experience, because you learn so much.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. E-mail me if you want if you have any questions I could answer.

By Emilia (Emilia) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Did anyone else go?

By Ryan4839 (Ryan4839) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I went to Space Camp in Huntsville in 6th grade. It was one of the best experiences that I have ever had. I got to meet a lot of new people, learn a lot about NASA, and have great fun. I think that you'll enjoy it very much.

By Dogsjill (Dogsjill) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 03:06 am: Edit

Space Camp is awesome. I went twice (Space Camp summer before 6th grade and Brightest Stars Space Academy during 6th grade) and loved it both times. Even though that was over 5 years ago, I'd imagine things are still similar to what I experienced. Even when I went my second time, when it was supposedly a camp only for smart people, it didn't seem like everyone was nerdy at all. Really, all of us just shared an interest in space, NASA, etc., and all were able to enjoy the week being around each other. Hope you have a great time there. The U.S. Space and Rocket Center is an awesome place.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page