John-John better than George-Dick?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: John-John better than George-Dick?
By Simba (Simba) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:41 am: Edit

Is Edwards fit to be president in the event something happens to JFK?

By Socaldad (Socaldad) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

Kerry-Edwards

All your Bush are belong to us !

By Simba (Simba) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

John Edwards, the son-of-a-mill worker first-term senator from North Carolina who dazzled audiences and surprised rivals with his charisma and Clintonesque mastery of speaking on the stump, the last of Kerry's rivals standing in the primary race. As a ticket, Kerry-Edwards polled ten points over Bush-Cheney, the most popular combination of Democratic candidates. Only a Kerry-McCain ticket polled better.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Kerry is smart, I give him credit for that. I actually could live with Edwards, as he is more moderate than Kerry, has enough experience to be qualified, yet not too much where he is very politicized. He seems to be more like a regular guy (like George Bush was) than a politician. I would rather have seen him as the Presidential candidate, though.

It will be a tough race, and I think the Edwards/Cheney debate could turn into a JFK/Nixon situation, where Cheney might win the debate in terms of speaking and policy, but Edwards will win it with charisma. Bush needs to drop Cheney (or he needs to retire) and put Colin Powell, Condie Rice, Guliani, or some other young and/or vibrant person on the ticket.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

regular guy (like George Bush was)...as a multi-millionaire Bush is anything but a regular guy...just because he owns a ranch in Texas doesn't make him regular either...if you mean he wasn't bipartisan, i would have to disagree with that.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I said SEEMS, not "he actually is a regular guy".

Both Bush and Edwards, as I've said in another thread, seem like guys you could go down to the bar with and shoot the •••• with them. Just their personality, or at least a vibe I get from both of them. Personal reaction, I guess. Bush has turned more political rather than personal, which is why I don't like him as much anymore, but Washington can do that to people.

By Insanity (Insanity) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Flush the Johns in '04!!

(from Rush Limbaugh)

By Chavi (Chavi) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Edwards a moderate? He is ranked as the 4th most liberal Senator, behind Kerry at #1. They'll talk a "moderate" game while campaigning, but flush the economy and every thing else down the John if they win.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Chavi: I've heard those rankings (most liberal senators) everywhere(MSNBC, CNN, etc) but is there an official list online somewhere?

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

I dont see how edwards is a moderate, just because he is southern doesnt mean he isnt liberal. He is espessially liberal in terms of the trial lawyer lobby, voting every single time against any type of court reform that would try to limit the many frivolous law suits that raise the cost of insurance for all of us. Even other liberals like Chuck Shummer supported many of them.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

You keep saying the same thing and I think I'd like to put the burden of proof on you for a change. Prove that Edwards is liberal by what he has done in the Senate thus far. I cannot say that he is or isn't, but show me something.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Well I just gave an example of how he is a consistent buddy to the most powerful democratic lobby, the trial lawyer. He has consistently voted for their causes even more than many liberals. Edwards’s political action committee received $1.19 million (86%), of its $1.39 million in donations from trial lawyers. He is in their pocket.

Edwards was viewed highly by the liberal Americans for Democratic Action on 95 percent of their issues. American Conservative Union was gave hime a 12% conservative rating based on his voting record, which is very liberal. And this was before he ran for president.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

I think it's interesting that you vehemently use Edwards association with trial lawyers against him yet nothing comes up about Bush and Cheaney's association with big business. Either it matters or it doesn't and I see you using the same type of arguments as Moore does, which I find somewhat ironic.

Thank you for the statistics though, but I would like more specifics on his voting practices (not b/c I don't believe you but because I'm personally curious since labeling him as a liberal does not mean that I will like him as a candidate without any second thoughts).

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Voted against the tax relief plan. Voted for the war but against funding for it. Is in favor of protectionist mercantalist policies. Voted about 12 times against frivolous law suit reform.

I am not saying Bush doesnt have ties, im talking about edwards, who is even more lopsided in terms of funding. 90% is really a lot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page