Spanish problemss

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Spanish problemss
By Incognita (Incognita) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

i;m studying for the SAT II and i have a few grammer problems if you guys could help me i'd be SO relieved...FOr the indirect object pronouns, Le/les, are they used only for people or can they be used for objects, too, like pants or dolls?

like,
you can say,
le explicaste la tarea a JUlia,
and the LE is referring to julia,
or you can say,
Le explicaste la tarea.(dropping the JUlia out bcuase you already have LE)

BUT,
if you wanted to say,
Miguel, me compraste la novlea?
you could also respond,
NO, no le compre.
so my question is,
would the LE in that sentence be referring to la novela or would it be referring to me (me compraste)?

this grammer is so confusing...
could anyone help me?

OH, and i'm looking for someone to practice spanish with, like by email (writing pratice, etc) since i'm taking AP next year (my school does squat to prepare us), and my school is rural, like in the middle of nowhere, and NOBODY here speaks spanish... (with the exception of my teacher...)eamil me, it's in my profile
THANKS!!!
oh, i posted this in the wrong section, i KNOW... becuase my computer has a problem and won't let me post in the SAT section.. i don't know why... i'm not banned, so it's something to do with the computer.
CAn anyone transfer this post to the SAT/ACT section please?

THanks (so much!!!)

By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

Okay, I'm not an expert in Spanish, but here are my guesses:

"i;m studying for the SAT II and i have a few grammer problems if you guys could help me i'd be SO relieved...FOr the indirect object pronouns, Le/les, are they used only for people or can they be used for objects, too, like pants or dolls? "

Yea, they can be used for objects, too. Anything that would be an indirect object.

"BUT,
if you wanted to say,
Miguel, me compraste la novlea?
you could also respond,
NO, no le compre.
so my question is,
would the LE in that sentence be referring to la novela or would it be referring to me (me compraste)? "

I think that "le" would refer to you, not the novel because the novel would be the direct object in the question. Like this, "Did you give it to me? / Me lo diste?" Where "it" would be direct, and "me" would be indirect.

But, that's just me!

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

Incognita, Le is used specifically for people, and not for items. So if you said no le compre, it would say I didn't buy for you(Ud), but the it would be missing. So you would have to say no te lo compré or no se lo compré, or insted of it, say the novel at the end. Even when you say her or him, we are supposed to use le, but lo and la are often used by spanish people because of their lack of grammar refinement.

The direct is the lo/la, and the indirect is the person, le.

The ACT/SAT Test site has been stopped up lately, since the AP results came back, as you notice by every post having 20 plus replies, showing no new posts.

Nobody in my school is interested in improving their grammar either, so i have been looking for someone to practice with as well. On this thread, "Need advice about AP Spanish" on high school college issues i answered a few questions, if you want to see some of my work.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page