Careers

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Careers
By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

What do you guys hope to become in the future what jobs and careers do you hope to persue?

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I want to be an Aerospace Engineer for commercial aviation research, and eventually work as an air crash investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

Hello again Katlyn. I'm also doing Aerospace Engineering. I'll probably be a flight deck officer in the Navy, hopefully work with the Blue Angels someday, then Lockheed-Martin. I also want to get into test flights.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

Investment Banking....Goldman Sachs....Mergers and Acquisitions. The only way to roll baby

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

landscape architect/personal assistant to Michael Vartan and/or Jennifer Garner.

By Salamanda (Salamanda) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

i hope to one day become a sucessful photojournalist

By Jaug1 (Jaug1) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

Intellectual Property Attorney...all about the copyrights and patents baby...

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

I am 100% not positive :)

By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Probably investment banking....although UBS not goldman.....or maybe even an attorney at a New York City private law firm. I know the lifestyle of lawyers because of volunteering and interning for offices BUT its crazy tough to get an internship at an investment bank.

Oh yea....for investment banking....equity research all the way babe....

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

wow, with the influx of aerospace engineers i might have to change my mind.

my ideal job would be working for an aerospace company to supply NASA or for a company that launches its own vehicles.

or i could do the robotics for space tihngs instead of the aerospace

or i could do pure physics research...

in the end i want to retire into teaching

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

Architecture...wait, no...uhh, Business Management...•••• not that either...ummmm Politics maybe, (work for the UN) i will be living in Washington D.C.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Mahras if I recall you will be a sophomore in the fall correct? Pretty smart kid. UBS? Why UBS? You gotta go for the big boys. Yeah I know getting a job at an Investment Bank is hard, thats why I need to go to the best school possible.
Equity research? pff M&A!

By Gidget (Gidget) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:14 am: Edit

A stage manager at Stratford Festival,

By Demingy (Demingy) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

A geneticist or working in forensics (bio lab). I'd also like to retire into teaching.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

where can i find more information about investment banking?

what do i need to major in college to be an investment banker?

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Producer/Creator. I want to make movies, music, tv shows, clothing stores, novels...whatever can be created in terms of entertainment and lifestyle. This is during college (undergrad and grad) though... After college I want to head an entertainment company or start my own.

If not...I can always be a wage slave marketing executive at some Silicon Valley corporation.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I want to be an international journalist who reports in the United Kingdom living in London.

By Zhalefarin (Zhalefarin) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

I want to be a physicist working in microchips and whatnot and then what the heck... retire into teaching

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

You can major in anything in college if you want to be an Investment Banker, just make sure you go to a top notch school so you can be recruited. I personally want to go to a school with an UG Business program and major in finance.

Here is some info.
http://www.vault.com/hubs/501/channelhome_501.jsp?ch_id=240
Explore that site, from compensation, to journals, to company profiles.

Another site..
http://www.wetfeet.com/asp/careerprofiles_lite.asp?careerpk=20

By Philntex (Philntex) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

PR all the way, baby! I can't wait to get into the field. Then, one of two things will happen: 1) if I make the switch away from PR (which many PR professionals do once they've reached a certain point), I'll probably go into either marketing, advertising, or corporate communications; 2) start my own PR firm. Rock.

Eventually I would like to become a college professor, though. We'll see how that works out :)

By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Equity owns M&A. Stay in the market all day......Bloomberg.....stocks,....bonds....funds. Yeah thats paradise.

I really want to work in like different markets around the world. Start of at New York....move to London.....then to Hong Kong. Thats the plan I want to work in several markets in my career. So thats fun.

UBS is hott. Yeah Goldman has the reputation but UBS is good nonetheless. Though GS does give the better paychecks. Hmmmmm...gives me an idea?!?

Yea I am a sophomore. Dammit still three more tedious years to college.

By Tobes (Tobes) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Poison Ivy---me too! I'd like to be the next Christiane Amanpour, based in London (or Paris). If not that then perhaps advertising (the design side, not the marketing side).

By Tongos (Tongos) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

go into advance computing and maybe forward my interest in quantum computers. an applied mathematician of numbers and advanced sequencing.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Sounds awesome Mahras.
My main intention is to stay in NY because thats where all the good stuff goes down, but I wouldnt mind relocating to London for 2 years to test out the waters elsewhere.
I think you provided me with your IM in another thread so I'll be happy to talk to you a little later on this matter. Always nice to find someone interested in this type of business at such a young age (like me).

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

as it stands now my main interest is law (either public service or corporate law) but i also want to work for the chicago public schools some time during my career and maybe even serve on the board of trustees. however, i wonder what my life would be like if i were to pursue business instead. i see businesspeople all the time when i travel and they always look so busy and uptight, like they never settle down. that's something i think i would enjoy doing. uhh i'm not exactly disinterested in numbers, marketing, & economics, but i simply prefer law over business at this point... but my mind could change as it always does.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Academics....college prof + research, preferably in physics (though I'm also looking at neurology sorts of stuff).

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Correct me if i am worng:

To go into any business career i can major in anything for undergrad, but have to get an MBA.

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

from Harvard and top 10. Anything else is useless :)

I'd like to live in DC and San Francisco and be a lawyer for an international organization so I can travel! I LOVE travelling.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

You don't HAVE to get an MBA. It helps you get promotions and you learn business-related stuff, but lots of people get rich without masters degrees.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Most likely I'll get some degree in Law/Economics and go from there. I'd like to go into Corporate Law, because that would work well with econ, plus with all these corporation messing up, it should be a good field.

But other than that, not quite sure where to go with an econ degree, probably some banking firm, or an investment firm.

After that, I'd like to go into politics and live/work in Washington DC, although I'd probably do local politics first.

By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

sports journalist, or sports manager...

maybe a director or writer

By Idiias (Idiias) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Can you please stop telling everyone about investment banking? You are just creating competition for yourself! lol

I always thought I wanted to go into business law and politics. But lately I thought maybe just business...like be an executive Vice President of Walmart driving my very own BMW M5...and vacationing on a caribbean island.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:09 am: Edit

Hahahahahahaha.....you bum.....LoL
Why Wal-Mart? I want to be the CEO of Goldman, Lehman, Morgan. Yeah now thats a goal. Oh and when you're a Vice Prez of Wal-Mart, you dont drive yourself, you get what they call a "limo". The M5 is only for us little guys in middle management. The big boys get all the perks.

By Efilsiertaeht (Efilsiertaeht) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:46 am: Edit

a theatre director. Ideally the artistic director of my own theatre company, but I can settle for less until the time comes. :-)

By Sanza04 (Sanza04) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:58 am: Edit

An actor on Saturday Night Live so I can make fun of people and get paid for it.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

I want to live in my parents' basement and moderate internet forums for a living.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Maybe I underestimated my salary...So, will I be rich enough to have my OWN caribbean island? lol Walmart is one the biggest companies around. I heard that the CEO of walmart surpassed Bill Gates as the richest man in the world. So maybe that's my reasoning? lol. But like you told the kid from new york, "I'll be happy to talk to you a little later on this matter." haha

Voodo-
Can you please notify your parents of your plans, cause I'm sure they would like to see your income in the near future a little bit higher, as they are paying for a Stanford education for you.
Thank You.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

While Wal-Mart is the biggest company in the world (according to Forbes), its wealth is spread over many people. All of Sam Walton's kids (who are running it now) take a chunk of it. So the wealth is spread over 4-5 people, who in their own right are very wealthy (I think they're like 9-12 in terms of richest people in the world). But if they were to consolidate under one person, that person would easily have more money then Gates.

Until then, Gates owns the world.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

what are some high paying jobs?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

what are some high paying jobs?

Anesthesiologist!

By Ryan4839 (Ryan4839) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Not sure, although I am seriously considering becoming a business professor.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I want to be an economist, and eventually retire as a professor:)

By Idiias (Idiias) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Thanks for the explanation...What's the difference between corporate law and business and law?
And do you want to have your own practice or work at a firm?

By Aussie_Girl (Aussie_Girl) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:28 am: Edit

i want to do clinical research, probably in immunology. I would love to do research on the responses of immuno- suppressed patients, like people with AIDS. it might sound dry but to me it would be totally fascinating…im doing a honours degree in microbiology right now. how long are MBAs?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:47 am: Edit

Create my own day-trading investment firm with a tight and aggressive approach. Wreap the benifits of options for all they're worth....make inside information public...bring together all the international market places and use trends all over the world to gauge how certain markets will react. Yahoo earnings reports came out yesterday, they were disappointing. Yahoo took a big hit, guess what happenned internationally, YAHOO took a big hit in Europe and Japan, following Yahoo's U.S. horrible day, i'm sure suave short sellers in America took advantage.

The market is not predictable, it's not run by math. The market is run by humans who are not predictable. Somehow figure out human predictability, muahaha.

By Jimster0489 (Jimster0489) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

How could you all know exactly what you want? It just baffles me so much because I believe the future is set, but is just availed from human eyes until we get there. I really do wish I knew exactly what I want to do.. but I do have some leads.

I took some career placement tests.. they said I had an INFJ personality, a creative mind, and that the field of medicine/health would be best for me. In the beginning of the school year, we took career inventory tests and I ended up getting jobs from both the business and social science clusters (which included education, health administration, and business marketing). I love hospitals (strangely) but I hate numbers/finance/all stuff related to math. Eh.. I don't know what to do. Kudos to all of you though!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page