Civil Engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Civil Engineering
By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Is it true that you don't have to be great at math to go into it? And if you can, tell me some general information about it.

Thanks. :)

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

BuMp

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

bUMp

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Bumppppppppppppppppppppppppp

By Idiias (Idiias) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

well why would you want to go in civil engineering if you weren't good at math? Do you really enjoy it?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I want to get two majors, so I was considering one in this in case I decide not to go to biology grad school after college (like I intended). A bachelors degree in biology can't get a person very good jobs; a bachelors in engineering can. So, I figured my second major should be a practical one.

If I do in fact have to be a top math student, I may as well pick another major as my second major, because I'm not the strongest math student (680 math AFTER STUDYING).

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

ever think of doing bioenginnering or biomedical enginnering

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Yes, I've thought about it. The thing is I never took math seriously, so I got B's and C's in it -- next year I'm going to be a senior, so I doubt I'd be accepted to any school for either biomedical engineering or bioengineering.

By Spit (Spit) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Im in my third year of Civil Engineering and at my school you need just as math as most the other engineering departments. There are alot of calculations involved in some of the Civil Engineering classes.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Spit, if I got a 680 math SAT after studying, do you think the math for engineering would be too difficult?

By Spit (Spit) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I think I got around the same as you did when I forst did my SATs. I got B's in Calc 1 and 2 freshman year and im doing pretty well in civil engineering so far. I'd say if you were alright in physics then youd be alright in civil too,because most of the math needed in civil is physics related (calclating tension, load, compression etc).
Here is the list of math classes you needed for civil engineering at my school:
College Calculus I
College Calculus II
College Calculus III
Introduction to Differential Equations

You also needed Chem 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2, both require a basic knowledge of math.

How are you doing in Physics and Chem? I'd say if you were a little above average then you'll do just fine! Is this helping at all?

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Thank you, Spit! Physics is coming easy to me so far, and I didn't have much trouble with chemistry. Unfortunately, I was a slacker in 9th and 10th grade, so I have B's and C's in my math courses (and chemistry) -- I doubt I'll be admitted to any engineering program with a math record like that, but I can always switch majors (I hope!). Also, I never took algebra I in 8th grade, so I'm only going to graduate with algebra I, algebra II, geometry, and pre-calculus...that's only four years of math, which I'm sure is much less than normal.

Are there many engineering majors who double major, or is engineering too time-consuming to allow for that?

By Spit (Spit) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I went into Engineering almost exactly like you are. I only did pre-calc and i was pretty average in physics and close to failing chemistry. Once college hit,it was a totally different story for me and i managed to do really well. I guess it really depends on how hard you wanna work in college, because once i got into civil engineering i found myself dedicating ALOT more time to studying,but then that goes without saying i guess!

Most engineers i know dont double major, some get minors though. That doesnt mean its impossible, because i do have one friend thats double majoring in electrical and aerospace engineering, but he will be in school a year longer than expected. I guess if your other major was something that didnt need alot of credits (like im also doing Economics which is only 30 credits) then you should graduate on time if you work hard and maybe do summers!

By Idiias (Idiias) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

my dad is a professor of civil engineering

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Thanks!

The worst grades on my transcript are in the classes that will be most important -- I have a C in both honors chemistry and honors geometry. I was lazy and should have done the work, but it's too late now. I don't think a track record like that gives me a good shot at being accepted directly into a decent engineering program. I've heard switching majors is a breeze, though, so I'll plan on doing that.

Do you have any plans for graduate studies? Are graduate studies common among engineering majors?

By Spit (Spit) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

I actually started out doing Architecture and then switched over, so if everything goes well i'll probably get my masters in Architecture.I know a few other people doing that, but most of the other engineers in my classes are going to call it quits after they get their Bachelors.

Alot of engineering degrees come with alternative routes like a B.S Degree in Civil Engineering and an M.B.A which usually takes 5 years.

By Plot93 (Plot93) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I knew a guy in high school who got a 640 on the math part of the SAT. However, he got A's in math (had to work really hard for it though). He got an engineering degree in college. It took him six years to get his B.S.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page