Investing/Stocks

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Investing/Stocks
By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:02 am: Edit

Hey guys it's 4 A.M. I just had my starbucks, my friend works there at night, so I have him pick me up a drink. The reason i'm up right now, is because i'm investing. I try to get in the market way before it opens and all those guys on wall streets get there hand in the action. I use the same day trading software as all those goons. I'm just curious who else out there trades? It sucks having to wait 3-4 hours for the market to actually open up and to see how your money does.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

I used to trade... not anymore (for the time being).

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

I do. Here's a tip : watch the futures before the market opens. Its sort of an indicator about the day if you are a day trader. Check out foriegn markets also. I always check 3 : Hang Seng (Hong Kong) , FTSE 100 (UK), and Nikkei 225 (Japan).

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

Man I wanna start trading bad. Anything you recommend to get started?
Thanks!

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

I believe we've discussed this already, but I also want to get started. How much money would you recommend having beofre starting?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I recommend $1000 if you are a student. I used to trade on buyandhold.com. Some others recommend sharebuilder because it costs less. There isn't much to learn about trading. Just pick like two or three stocks, invest in them over time and then you are sure to turn up a profit. Make sure you invest every month a portion of your disposable income to dollar cost average. When I used to trade, heavily during the summer, if the futures were up then the DOW and NASDAQ would end down (and vice versa). It's fun to trade. I remember every day checking my stocks during class and during lunch and after school. The best rule to trading is: when you are up significantly... get out!!! I was up like $400, stayed in, and lost $100 when I finally closed out.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

If you're trading from day to day, make sure you sell while the market is still open before it closes at 4. Otherwise, if you sell after 4 o'clock, then your stocks will be sold upon openning of the market. Typically this can be bad news, because of INET trading prior to the market. Pre-market trading is a bitch. Because you can usually only buy stocks at market price, so you don't know what price you'll be buying a stock at, which is why limits are important. Also if you sell after 4 and the stock goes down in pre-market trading, you lose money. Right now I have 10,000 dollars in the market, but I have a max buying power of 20,000 in margin. I usually buy with margin, it helps me increase my gains, I just live for 2-3 percent gains a day and sell.

P.S. Don't invest in the same stock over and over, because i know some stocks have trends, but if you invest in the same security 4 times or more in one week, you can get in trouble by NASD rules.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Oh by the way, ETRADE SUCKS. They claim to have 2 second guaranteed transactions. But in small print, it only applies to stocks in the S&P bought at certain times. This morning, it took them 35 seconds to complete one of my transactions and they costed me a quick 300 bucks, if it had been 30 seconds earlier I would've been FINE>

By Nathalie26 (Nathalie26) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Do you have to be 18 to trade?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

You can open a joint/custodial account with your parents if you are under 18.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I was always interested in the stock market and investing was something i was always interested in.

But to me it seems like its something really complicated.

I am a complete novice who wants to get started, so some one please tell me how i can learn more about investing.

are there any good books or websites were you guys learned a lot from.

And How did you guy get started with investing

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

I got my start in the 7th grade, my aunt gave me some money to invest. I just invested in some stocks then, that helped me get my feet wet, then I started reading WSJ and watching MSNBC. Then shortly after that I started competing in some stock games and just started to get feel for the market by investing in those games. Make sure finance.yahoo.com is your god. The research in there is pretty prime for an amateur, like if you look at the stocks in play at 5 A.M. Pacific Time you can start to guage which stocks will go up based on news reports. With this strategy you can kind of throw technical analysis and all the complicated stuff out the door. However for long term stocks check out money.msn.com, they have a stock scouter that'll do all that technical stuff for you.

But when you start investing real money, know it's much different than the games and make sure you have up to the second day trading software. Every second is crucial and information is money.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

Haha....awesome to see an investing site. How are the trades going savedbythebell.

Savedbythebell, are you serious?!? They didnt follow the 2 sec. guarantee. Man you should have timed the transactions and asked for the money from etrade. Use scottrade bro. You also get support from very knowledgeable stck traders also. The trades are crazy cheap with 7 bucks market day order.

Haithman, you can im me at aragon9197 if you have aim. I am very happy giving people advise on trading.

I had a bad day today at the market. Everything was just falling for some reason. Lost couple of hundred bucks. Though the stock portfolio I made is making a killing.

If anyone wants to know the stocks in my stock portfolio im me. I dont like publishing stuff like that online. (im again is aragon9197)

Stocks to watch for next week: ATML and KCS.

ATML is a med cap company in the semiconductor industries. Stock are crazy cheap at like 5.8...something. Bought the stock at 5.1...something and as its cheap one can easily hold like a lot of shares. Its probably going to hit 9.8...ish if my analysis is correct. On yahoo the analysts from gs, and merrill are estimating 10.5...ish by december but I am a little pessimistic about that number. Although a great stock.

The next is KCS.....a good solid company in the energy industry. Selling like in the high 12s low 13s. Supposed to hit the 14.5 mark by December. Priced competitively and I am 90% certain that it should hit the 15 bucks mark by late January early February 2005. A solid investment.

Any questions post here or im or email (though I dont check my email too much)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

ATML is def. going up tommorow check out the charts, after every down day, we have an up day. How's that for technical analysis? The whole chip market makes me cringe though.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

where do you guys do your research

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

To get started you ought to buy like one book if the market completely stumps you. I didn't do much research since I learned about the market and did a project in the 9th grade for Economic and Legal Political Systems. The best friend on TV for stock traders is without a doubt CNBC. Picking stocks isn't that hard either. Most people, I think, rely on the Blue Chip stocks such as IBM, Coca Cola, Gillette, and other DOW stocks. If you have a substantial amount of money (over $1,000) you should be fine. If you are not into trading and would like to own stock for like 5 or 10 years, I recommend DRIPs, which are stocks directly purchased from the company (no commissions to the broker). The downside or upside, based on who you are, is that there may be some high fees to sell the stock and you have to invest an amount each month in the stock.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

BTW, I used to own Wendy's, JetBlue, Sonic, Dial, Nokia, and Martha Stewart (for my mom... definitely not for me). I'm sorta glad I got out of the market before September 2001. Also, I recommend that you "trade on paper" before you trade with real money to see where you are going wrong or to see what you are doing right.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Ndbisme, I met a bunch of girls from North Carolina in Maui, they all had the thickest accents ever and said they lived outside of Raliegh. It was a weird night when I met them, anyhow back to stocks. For tuesday you might wanna check out NFLX, it took a beating today, because it met its target. Now a days when you meet your targets and don't do surpass them, you get beat down. Anyways in the long term, NFLX seems like a good value right now.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Saved do you plan on becoming a trader on WallStreet after school?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

I don't know, i've never really imagined myself on Wall Street before, because I live for warm climates. My plan is to make some wall street contacts get some legit inside info, wake up at 5 A.M. from the west coast, get in on it. Then sell mid-day and go surfing. I already have a few ins in wall street, but with a degree from San Diego State, it'd be hard for me to make things happen. I notice you want to be an investment banker, my cousin does that and makes a pretty good living doing it. He's really my only connection though, but he might be retiring soon (he's like 32).

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Yeah I see your reasoning, the New York stock broker life is pretty hectic and you want a laid back life which you will not find on wall street. Best of luck on whatever endeavers you plan to take on.
It isnt uncommon for an IB to be retiring at such a young age. You can make a ton of money, but thats only after they have used & abused you.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I can't get into the whole day-tradding thing, it just destroys too many lives. I'm going to be more of a long term investor because over time the market almost always goes up. My father did that and he did quite well (no fortunes, but not broke) with companies like GE. I can invest fairly well, but I can't see doing it for a living.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

Yeah day trade while your young when relatively little values like 20,000 seem like a good amount of money to you. Do it for the experience. I don't know about day trading for a living, risky business man. But honestly if you day trade while your young there is no better way to learn the market and gain experience, NO BETTER WAY. I mean I truly understand how the market works now, you learn more doing this than you can in any econ class.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

saved....the econ class in our school uses a stock market simulator. Its sad becasue they dont understand the pain one feels from losing like 10000 bucks and thus they dont research well. But when you kave like 30K in the market...it really changes everything.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Oh man, I have a friend who day trades, I really want to start.

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

OT, I named my puppy Nikkei in 9th grade. Who doesn't invest?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

If only my name was Dow Jones. Happy 4th everyone.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

Willywonka can I have your friends screen name if you don't mind? I've never met a fellow day trader my age before.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Pardon my ignorance, but whats a day trader?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:47 am: Edit

a day trader, is one who trades up to the minute, based on predicted market trends. These trends are only predictable for a short amount of time, based on various attributes dealing with the stocks, such as a great deal of volume, graph trends, news and many other variables.

"Very active stock trader who holds positions for a very short time and makes several trades each day. Day traders are individuals who are trying to make a career out of buying and selling stocks very quickly, often making dozens of trades in a single day and generally closing all positions at the end of each day."

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

ATML has taken a huge hit as of late...when do you think would be a good time to get in?

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

I am scraping up money to put invest right before the election if it looks like Bush will win and/or if the congress will remain Republican. Markets usually go up when a republican wins, down when a tax raising democrap wins.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:02 am: Edit

All I know is i'm getting screwed, because i'm labelled as a "pattern day" trader so I i can't come up with 5,000 more bucks, they're going to limit the amount of trades I can make a in a week. Cute huh? You need a 25,000 dollar min. I only have 20k.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

Thanks for the heads up on ATML, seems like a really good value today, I bought it at 5.01. I'm gambling today, I moved all in......before the NASD reduces my trades!! I think i decided to gamble on ATML today, because i'm fed up and INTC was up in pre-market trading and ATML had some pretty good upward momentum in volume and price, pre-market, looks to be a promising hour or so ;).

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:49 am: Edit

Haha I was right on the money yesterday, I made 450 bucks in 30 seconds. Let's see how Pepsi bottling group fairs today. They had strong earnings, hopefully the market will reward them. Even though today looks to be a •••••• day in the market.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

does anyone know what equity means?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

For me, equity, is basically just the total value of my account. It's the CASH i have in there. When you buy with your equity, you're not buying on margin (borrowed money).

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Reading this thread has gotten me interested. How do I get started with investing? I wanna research first before I actually start though.

By Renegade4box (Renegade4box) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Have any of you actually had success with day trading? I used to be very into investing, I started when I was 8 with a UGMA account and 600 dollars; I'm now 16 and decided to call it quits. I peaked at around ~53k. If you want serious gains you have to dedicate beaucoup time to it, which can really take a toll on other things you're doing. For anyone interested: predicting mergers and acquisitions is where the money's at, a large percentage of my gains resulted from that.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

Anyone here deal with puts and calls? They are crazy! I deal with them every once in a while - if im sure of something. You can make mad money using puts and calls! They are way better than just buying equity yet way riskier. Savedbythebell, do you invest in mutual funds at all? I'm currently interning at UBS PaineWebber for a Wealth Mngt Group and have learned a ton about allocation strategies and various funds. There are some sweet ones out there: First Eagle Gbl Cl A, Calamos Growth Cl A, Oakmark Equity & Income CL I. Those are awesome funds! If you want to talk about allocation strategies or any other thing dealing with the market you can aim me. My sn is the same as my CC name.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:49 am: Edit

Savedbythebell7: (for everyone else... sorry this is unrelated) i see you go to sdsu but ur email is ucsb dreaming. did u not get into ucsb (and u really wanted to go there)? also, how do u like sdsu? i visited that school and thought it was decent for a cal-state (i hear its a bit tougher to get into than avg cal-states... true?)

anyways, back on topic. how are you starting with this 20k? did u amass it through work or via parents? what kind of book would anybody recommend for a newcomer to get semi-familiar with the stock process?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

Crazylicious -
My sister attended UCSB and i've always loved Santa Barbara, it was my first choice and yes I was rejected by UCSB. Although, looking back on it now, perhaps it was for the better because UCSB does not offer a business degree, whereas SDSU can offer me something in Finance and appearently the business school at SDSU is suppose to be pretty nice. Plus i love SDSU's campus, it reminds me of a medditeranian villa and it's more appealing, in terms of looks than the rest of the Cal State's and many of the UC's. I amassed my money by investing. I've been investing since the 7th grade, so i've got roughly about 6 years of experience. When most kids were studying for the SAT's, guess what I was doing? Quite frankly i've never exactly read a stock book that has helped me all that much. To get started, i'd just start watching CNBC and checking finance.yahoo.com, msn.money.com and get involved in a stock game.

I'm actually starting to move away from day trading and into more long term stuff (anything i'm holding for longer than an hour is long term to me ;)). But anyways, Bern700 you're very right about puts and calls, they can equate to some mad gains. Options are typically used to hedge portfolios. For example lets say you have 10,000 dollars invested in ATML at 5 bucks a share and it goes up to 7.5 dollars a share, you've made a pretty decent profit. Although, when you were investing in ATML at 5 dollars a share it would be smart to throw down around $200-500 on a "put" on ATML at around 3.50 a share. That way if ATML drops instead of goes up, you'll be roughly even, because you're going to make huge gains off of that 200 dollars (because you're massing a ton of shares for 200 bucks, but only putting 200 at risk). Basically with an option you can invest 200 bucks and typically expect a return of a 1000 or MUCH more. It's common to turn 3,000 dollars into 30,000. You can get 30 to 1 on your money. So essentially if ATML goes up you'll only be losing that 200-500 bucks, it's a wonderful way to hedge your funds.

It seems the biggest downside to allocation strategies is they don't give you the growth you want when you're younger and a risk taker. I prefer living on the riskier side, i don't have a ton of capital that i'm trying to protect, if you catch my drift. But thats awesome you have an internship, how'd you have that hooked up? It sounds like it's a really useful internship, unlike the ones i've experienced.

Sorry this post is so long, i'm just bored and waiting for the market to open. It'll be interesting to see how Tickersymbol: STI will do today. They beat the consensus by .03 cents, i'm looking for it to go up.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:53 am: Edit

PS "is SDSU tougher than average cal-states?"

SDSU had 44,000 applicants for 4100 spots. The applications have quadrupled in the past four years. They cut the amount of students in half. The freshmen class used to be 8,000. So yeah, it's becoming pretty difficult to get into i guess and its much harder than the other cal states aside from Cal Poly SLO. I think Cal Poly had like a 12.5 percent admit rate this year.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Well I usually trade weekly. However I do some long term trading and also some day trading.
For example, I traded YHOO last week and made about 600 bucks in 2 hours approximately.
However, I also bought ATML couple of months ago but I am going to be holding to it till december as I believe the stock will easily hit 8 bucks-10 bucks a share. I should have a 100% profit if all goes well. However, I usually keep my stocks for a week and then I sell them off. Example, I bought GS a day before their quaterly reports came out for about 88 bucks.....a week later sold the entire thing for 92 bucks. A good amount of money in my opinion.

recently, I took some heavy damage (read 3K loss) because I am working at this law firm instead of being glued to nyse.com lol. Anyways, the market is slow nowadays and should pick up in september. If anyone is thinking about starting to invest, I would suggest starting in the next two weeks as stock prices are very low and the market suks.

Oh yea new record, bought MVSN shares sold off 1 hour later......made 2K. YAY. But if we count dollars per hour saved still has the record.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Yeah wait until the bad earning reports come out. Excellent move on Yahoo, I was actually thinking about doing the same, when it was at 28 bucks a share, because typically when stocks meet earning expectations they get beat down the next day, but then if they're a big bad company like yahoo, make a swift comeback the next day. I was going to do the same, but didn't feel like gambling as much that day, if I recall. I only like "for sure things".

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:56 am: Edit

Lots of good earnings reports this morning. I can tell today is going to be, M-O-N-E-Y.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

O.K.
Early in my newswire i saw lots of stocks coming across with new contracts: AGIL (thinking of investing, it was up pre-market and has now dropped back to a reasonable buy price), SRX and VRTS, MCRY (trading way up pre-market).

Now we have the companies that beat earnings:
New york times NYT by a penny, look for a percent or so increase today.

Some other interesting ones GILTF, NVAX, GGY..they were upgraded this morning.

But after all this, for a nice little steady gain with very minimal risk, i'm thinking NYT is a good pick. But i'll probably be going with AGIL, i'm looking for maybe a 2 percent gain.

BY THE WAY TODAY MIGHT BE A GOOD DAY TO SHORT SELL ATML, INTEL TOOK A BIG HIT AND ATML SHOULD FOLLOW THE SAME PATTERN.

okay this is saved signing off and going into buy mode now, later.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

todays wild card, watch TPTH, insider trader this morning sold a huge chunk of the company on news that this company is profitable for the first time in its history, sketchy anyone?!

Alright i'm thinking about GAMBLIN' some and investing in GILTF, they have a new contract...hoping for it to jump from 4.8 to 5..

By Nyer03 (Nyer03) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

check out this stock website for teens. they have stock reports, tips and stuff. i liked it. http://tinvestment.bravehost.com/

and

http://tinvestment.bravehost.com/reports.html

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

here it is...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page