Will this be your First Election?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Will this be your First Election?
By Neo (Neo) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

This November is the first election I'll be voting in. Anyone else?

By Philntex (Philntex) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

First-timer here, too! Can't wait. I'm actually getting a registration program and drive going at my school to get all eligible voters to vote at my school, regardless of whom they want to vote for. Wish I were a little more excited about the candidates themselves, but I'm very excited about voting.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

1st Timer! I don't like any of the candidates much... or most congressmen for that matter (except Tim Ryan!). I registered through AP Government and will probably be working the booths election time.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

1st presidential election

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

It is my first election. It is also my aunts first election. She finally got around to becoming a citizen, she is from vietnam.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Me too! I barely qualify (by two weeks) but I'm a registered democrat already and I signed a petition outside of the train station today. So proud =)

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

first time voting! i missed the primary by 3 weeks.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

Nope! My first was 2000 - quite a historic one (to be entirely politically unbiased).

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

im a...first timer when it comes to voting...shame on you with your dirty mind.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Me too! This is the first election in which I am finally old enough to be able to vote. Is everyone here registered yet?

By Allena (Allena) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

This will be my first presidental election. I've voted in a handful of State elections, especially since we went through the entire recall thing out here in California, I got to go to the polls several times last year.

Just a random note on petitions... If you're short on time avoid them like the plague, especially at school... Occasionally you'll go to sign one you really agree with, and then all of the sudden you'll be hammered with hundereds of different petitions they want you to sign. Typically they give you a issue that no matter what partry your a member of you'll be willing to sign, after that they're all politically debatable issues, and they don't take, I don't want to sign that, as an answer.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

PHILNTEX,

What exactly is the drive going to do? Are the eligible people going to be able to vote AT your school, or are you just going to get them registered at school and they go somewhere else? Either way, how do you do that? Because I have been thinking about that for awhile, and I kind of want to start up something like that too at my school.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

As of now, we're registering seniors (and any older juniors) to be able to vote somewhere else in the community and giving them a breakdown of the candidates (but no pro- or anti-anyone). I'm pushing for us to be able to use the school, but I don't know if that'll end up happening. Right now, I'm organizing mine through Democracy for Texas, but if all goes well, the fall drive could be through Freedom's Answer (http://www.freedomsanswer.org), which is an awesome teen-led national organization for getting teens to vote in the upcoming election. It's an unforgettable experience, and you most ceratinly won't regret it. If you get a good rallying group around you, it can be one of the funnest experiences ever (I'm in a group of about 3 or 4 people getting this stuff together).

If you have any questions or need some help, feel free to e-mail me. This is my One Big Thing for senior year, hehe :)

By Monarchsfan16 (Monarchsfan16) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I miss being able to vote by about a week and a half or two weeks which stinks. I really wanted to be able to offset my stepdad's Democratic vote with a Republican one (I cannot stand Kerry). But I won't be able to.

By Henrybg (Henrybg) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

Second presidential vote. I voted Green last election in NY (cause...Gore was going to win regardless, and I wanted a third party's 5%)..but now I'm in Indiana, so what to do!?

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 05:50 am: Edit

Henrybg,

Research the candidates and see who you like.

I strongly recommend Kerry. =)

By Henrybg (Henrybg) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Recordingwater,

I know :). Do you think I would go from Nader to BUSH!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA... anyway. I was actually part of the Dean campaign this time around...of course, not very successfully. Needless to say (and I hate the newly created cliche that has formed because of this) 'anyone but bush'. Kerry all the way!

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

nader actually seems like a candidate with positions that are different from Bush. kerry just seems like a political bafoon whose position changes with the political wind.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

this will be my first....the people im voting for probably (dont quote me on this yet) president: kerry, U.S. senator: reid, congressman: gibbons, State Assembly: Gansert, State Senate: Raggio, Schoolboard: Pullman, City Council: Sferezza, Mayor: (not up for re-election) and im forgetting some

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page