How can a west coast student prep for east coast winter

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: How can a west coast student prep for east coast winter
By Magoo (Magoo) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Please excuse the long title...couldn't think of anything else...

its come to my realization that the 14 years that i've spent in california has spoiled me rotten with the weather. after some careful consideration i realized that i will die on the east coast...I WILL PHYSICALLY DIE without the proper prepartion for their winters.

i asked someone what the winters were like out there and they said...
"Magoo- the winters are cold yes but it is different. I have lived in Ontario and I find it much colder her in the winter. Up north it is sort of like a tundra and while you have lots of snow it is a dry cold, like dry ice , very little moisture. Down around bottom of Canada/Top of U.S. it is a lot wetter cold , a to your bones , chilling kind of cold. - Quite different- it's hard to explain-"

can someone explain to me what the weather is like in washington d.c. what do you suggest i buy, where do you suggest i buy it at...

PLEASE ANY TIPS/ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :)

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I have lived in la all my life, but I have been to the north east during the winter. Heres how to get used to it:

Walk into a meat freezer. Turn on a fan to the maximum speed. fill the room 1 foot high with crushed wet dirty ice. Enjoy.

It is not usually that bad. I actually think, coming from california, that east coast summers are actually worse than their winters. It is so hot and humid in the summer there compared to here.

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

It does get skanky here during the summer! LOL Winters are usually long where I live. Massachusetts. They usually start end of Nov. to the end of April. LOL Yes, I think we did get a Nor'easter in April. Crazy weather up here. Be prepared! This post looks familiar. LOL

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Hey - I lived in south India for the first 20+ years of my life, before moving to mecca_of_snow Rochester in upstate NY. After those years of 100_degree_heat + 100%_humidity, all that snow was a joy. Free air conditioning is the way I look at it...

How to prep for it? Learn to love it.

By Yourworld (Yourworld) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

100% agree, it's New England summer that you have to worry about. Hot and humid and no escape. More terrible if your house is carpeted because it wets your carpet. I don't mind the cold and welcome the snow. And there's only a couple of nor'easters in a season. More a break from ho-hum winter than anything else. Go to San Francisco to cool down!

By Gidget (Gidget) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 09:12 am: Edit

Winter winter winter- You will learn to love it when you get there. You should buy/pack a heavy winter jacket , mittens ( a couple pairs) a hat ( we call them touques) some good water proof insulated boots, maybe a pair of snow pants for tobbagganing or snowboarding? If you are really worried about being cold you could bring a heater ( space heater) but check with your school- a lot don't allow them-
For regular wear- lots of warm socks, sweatshirts( warm ones) and all kinds of warm clothing.

You will be okay... you just need to adjust.

By Monarchsfan16 (Monarchsfan16) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Get some nice warm gloves, boots, jacket and ski pants. Ski band or hat will be good too. Go find LL Bean online. No one makes winter stuff like they do-they're based in Maine. And it doesn't get colder in the continental US than Maine. DC won't be as bad as New England, although I'm sure it'll feel extreme to you. I live in NH, and I live in sweatshirts from the middle of September until the beginning of June. That's how bad it can be a little farther north. You may want to buy as many sweatshirts and sweaters as you can. They do get some snow in DC, but a lot of it is ice. So I'd suggest you don't plan to drive anywhere, cuz driving on ice is awful. Snow isn't fun, but ice is worse. It'll be cold there, but you will adjust. And trust me, in the winter, people care a little less about fashion and a lot more about staying warm. Like I said, look up LL Bean, and Land's End. Both are GREAT for winter clothes. Columbia Jackets are excellent, if you're looking for a name brand besides those two outfitters. Really really warm.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page