Mary-Kate...WHY!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Mary-Kate...WHY!!!!!!
By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

So sad.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

its the media

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

! So much pressure... rich people always seem to find a way to screw up their lives... be it coke, alcohol, or whatever. Hopefully she'll get better in two months for NYU.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

What happened?

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Haithman, She submitted herself to a treatment facility for anorexia... kinda sad, really, but I always thought she was too skinny. The thing I think is weird is that Ashley isn't getting treatment as well, but looks just as malnourished.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

yeah i heard...how sad.

can you imagine the pressure they prob went through always being in the public eye since they were todlers...

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

poor girl i wish her well, but ashley looks as skinny as her. so much pressure...

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

Worry not, for I will kidnap the Olsen twins and force them to eat chocolates and Cheetos until they are no longer underweight.

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:21 am: Edit

LOL foreignboy

By Bluealien01 (Bluealien01) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I heard that her parents made her go before she turned 18. They made the decision for her.

By Matth (Matth) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Bluealien, considering she turned 18 before she entered, I think your info is wrong.

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

who cares

By Ucbhopeful (Ucbhopeful) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

serious problem, don't snicker and make jokes.

By Bee (Bee) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Matth...I read this on MSN Entertainment:

According to People, Mary-Kate has been suffering from an eating disorder for at least a year and only sought help after her family staged an intervention. The mag claims Mary-Kate was checked into the treatment center by her father shortly after she and Ashley graduated from high school on June 7. The timing is significant: Her parents would have lost their legal right to intervene on June 13, the day the twins turned 18.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Foreignboy this is not something to joke about. One of my best friends is anorexic and has been struggling with the disease for three years. It can really damage your life, goals, and your relationship with you family. Instead of joking about this you should be sending positive energy for her recovery. Never joke about someone's health, it's just not funny.

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I do hope she'll get better in time for school.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Ok sorry dude. Having little experience with people suffering from anorexia, I may have trivialized the problem. Anyway, I hope she gets better in the end.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

Sigh. I wish the media wouldn't even report it. I mean, I know that with celebrity and fame comes with reporters discussing every detail of your life. But I have ALWAYS hated the media talking about someone's mental illness, drug addiction, eating disorder, etc. Celebrities are still people and need SOME privacy. I hope that she makes progress and recovers- not be "cured", per se, because you can never be cured of an eating disorder. It's like alcoholism. You can stop drinking and be fine, but you can just as easily slip back into your old habits- and the same goes for eating disorders which is why they are particularly tricky things to battle. Best of luck to her and I hope she regains enough of her health back to be able to attend college in the fall.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 04:40 am: Edit

Celebrity is a two-faced coin. There are bad and good parts. If the Olsen twins weren't famous, they probably wouldn't have been able to establish a successful business selling their merchandise, and thus, wouldn't be as rich as they are. The bad part is that everyone knows what happens in your life. When you make money out of celebrity status, you are basically selling your privacy to the world.

By Plot93 (Plot93) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

ED's are common, especially among high school and college students. Many people struggle with food/weight, though often it doesn't develop into a clinically diagnosable ED. Some people actually have problems with food and never seek help. Not all of them are really skinny either. I've met some whom one wouldn't guess had a problem by looking at them.

Saw a picture of Mary-Kate on TV last night. She looked thin, but not dangerously so. Hope she does recover.

By Nitokenshi (Nitokenshi) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I watched the news and they said she is also in for cocaine addiction dont know if its true but could be.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Well, let me tell you what I heard! I heard that she's in for taking part in an international prostitution ring that is under the guise of Russian mail-order bride corporations.

Please. Give me a break. Yes, I hope Mary-Kate gets treatment and her condition improves, and her case might be a good role model for today's teens. But does her situation, which so many people face, really merit a thread? I mean, awareness is good and all... I just think it's stupid to throw a pity party just because she's a celebrity, which is why this thread exists.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

I think it's not so much a pity party but a spotlight on a relevant issue. Aside from invading her private life, it was good in some ways for the media to cover the traces of the story that they have and make it a newsworthy issue because it could be a really good wake up call for a lot of people- especially since a lot of people that are in danger of developing eating disorders/ are suffering from one are in the age group that have grown up with Mary Kate and Ashley or are fans.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page