Offtopic: Mary-Kate Olsen has anorexia

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Offtopic: Mary-Kate Olsen has anorexia
By Playtothebeat (Playtothebeat) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

just came across this article.
pretty crazy what these peopel go through to stay in "good shape" and control their looks.
well, now she's got anorexia

oh and they're going to New York University next year, in case any of you are going there as well lol

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5270510/

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:28 am: Edit

Sorry to be blunt, but who cares?

By Speeddemon608 (Speeddemon608) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

llol, noodleman, way to confuse bulemia and anorexia

the olsen twins scare me

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Noodleman, if I'm not mistaken you're 35 yrs. old, correct? It's time to grow up and stop acting like an idiot. You're old enough to realize that eating disorders are not something to joke about.

By Topper (Topper) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

that's kinda sad if you ask me

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I feel bad. Even if they annoy/scare/w/e you, there really isn't any reason to poke fun at it. I've dealt with an ED and I have a friend who has someone in there family who has an ED. It's sad... Really. Mary-Kate deserves the respect as many others who battle it, and I think it's gross that people are posting it in magazines/tv/newspapers. I hope she gets out of it...

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Look. I suffered from bulemia as a teen. I know the difference. I also feel, as a result, entitled to make jokes. I got over it, and she will, too. Make fun of me and all my puking all you want. I'll be fine. Knock yourselves out.

When the party is a half-billionaire who is where she is precisely because of body image, and has unlimited access to psychiatric care, I have little empathy. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

You want to care about someone? Post about the 13-year old kid who died of MS today or the genocide in Sudan where thousands have no choice about whether to eat or not--because their crops have been burned by the government.

Don't waste your pity on a rich kid with solvable problems. Give me a break.

And Matt: You're right and wrong.

1. I'm not an idiot. I'm someone who does not suffer fools gladly and who has an irreverent and often adolescent wit. I have little patience for celebrity drama. If "growing up" means wasting emotional energy on undeserving debutantes, I hope I never do.

2. Eating disorders, in and of themselves, are not funny. They often go undiagnosed and untreated, and tear lives apart and sometimes kill people.The Olsen kid, however, is getting help, and getting PR out of it. That makes me ill. Pun intended.

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I never said I pitied the "rich kid". I have compassion for her and for anyone who suffers from such a disorder. My girlfriend's sister died two years ago as a result of heart damage caused by anorexia. So, no, I will not give you a break. You are a sad little man. If anything, it's you I pity. You've made yourself look like a total idiot in this thread, even more than any of the many other inane things you've posted on CC.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

but i <3 the noodle man

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I'm sorry to resurrect this topic, but I've felt badly about it for a week.

Matth is right. My joke was off-color, inappropriate, and in poor taste. Regardless of how much I detest celebrity stuff, to make fun of another human being who is legitimately suffering isn't mature, kind, or cool.

I was in a really bad mood at the time, and took out my anger in an off-the-cuff fashion and I'm ashamed.

I'm sorry.

-Noodleman

APOLOGY ACCEPTED, earlier post deleted - Moderator JEM

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page