Any Techies In Here?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Any Techies In Here?
By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

If you are, please solve my problem:

Whenever I open the "My Pictures" folder (or any folder with pics in it), I always get this error message:

An Error has occured in the script in the page

Line: 301
Char: 13
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0
Url: file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\ImgView.htt

So what do I do?

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Thanks to Google and Microsoft's support, I recommend trying this:

Remove Web Customization
If multiple folders are causing the script error, remove Web customization from any folder that generates the error message. To remove customization from a folder, use the following steps:
Open the appropriate folder.
On the View menu, click Customize This Folder, click Remove Customization, click Next, and then click Finish.
Close the folder.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

And...the error message is still popping up...

By Magoo (Magoo) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

nope

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Install a better OS :-P

Problem solved.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Sounds like a corrupted registry.

But first, try to defrag your disk.
Then, try to go back to an earlier installation if you've got this feature turned on.

Or, put your pictures elsewhere.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Yup. I just googled it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%2Fkbsearch.asp%3FArticle%3D260365

By Muppetcoat (Muppetcoat) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

Have you tried buying a mac? That solved all my problems.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

lol. I'm a mac user.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Yeah, take it from me, don't buy a mac. The computers are good, the OS is ok, the GUI of the OS sucks. The Company (apple) sucks, and the rape of their customers sucks. Microsoft is not a very good company either.

IF I ever you and you want to learn something about computers or just have some fun, check out Linux and then FreeBSD popular versions of linux include www.redhat.com (no longer free) www.mandrake.com (free) www.suse.com (don't know what their deal is) www.debian.com (free) and many others.

Linux is free and the source code is open to the people, that is why you have so many companies packaging their own versions of it, and some give it away (most actually) and some don't. Linux is no longer for just techies and geeks it now comes with full graphical installers and GUI. There are tons of free software for linux, check out www.openoffice.org (also runs on windows) for a free Linux Office App. If you want more info just search for Linux, give it a try.

PS it's free to download, burn to a disc and install, but you can usually buy a boxed set anyway. PLEASE READ THE MANUAL AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!! INSTALLING LINUX OVER WINDOWS MAY (in fact, if you do it wrong and don't install it side by side correctly, will) DESTROY ALL THE DATA ON YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION.

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 03:53 am: Edit

w00t! Linux advocacy comes to CC! And the poster also reads Slashdot! Most excellent.

Other notes: Redhat does still have a free distro (short for distribution (of linux)) called Fedora. It's generally considered subpar by the tech community, however. For an extremely easy linux distro, check out Mandrake, Knoppix (runs off of CD!) or Gentoo. Eventually you will probably want to graduate up from these, though. If you are adventurous, go for a net install of linux (don't have to download so much!) or download the CD ISOs and burn them. If not, buy a boxed distro which usually gives you tech support rights. There's plenty of documentation online, however.

If the downloads seem big to you, remember, these distributions include not only linux but also hundreds of megabytes of free software to do everything from edit photos to watch TV to send mail.

Personally, I use Slackware Linux (www.slackware.org) and FreeBSD. :-P

By Jaug1 (Jaug1) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Linux is a beautiful thing...so are Mac's. I have been a PC/Microsoft user my entire life. But starting in 2005 I won't have to subject myself to the torture anymore. I'm getting a Mac powerbook G4.

Why:
Panther might be one of the greatest OS to ever be created
Mac's rarely crash and are a much solid computer
For my needs, (music transformation, composing, design) it is a much better system.

Mac's are not for everyone, but if you can get one because it suits your needs better, then get one. No sense in buying a cheap PC from a company like Dell or Gateway where you call for Tech Support, get phoned off to India, go through a checklist that doesn't pertain to your problem and then get summarily hung up on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page