Anyone here...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Anyone here...
By Eliel (Eliel) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

going to Cal Poly Pomona...

By Magoo (Magoo) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

damit this is the one school i wish that i should have applied to but didn't

oh well, my dad went here and loved it.

:) HAVE FUN :)

By Eliel (Eliel) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

hey Magoo, so your dad liked this school...why...tell me...

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

uhhhhh...well, he was on the track team there and made a lot of friends also the benefit of living in Pomona CA is that you are pretty close to all the action yet you don't have to pay the enormous sums of money to live out there. i don't know if you are fimiliar with california real estate but its way to much for someone just starting out...my dad could go to LA, (though this city is pretty overrated) in a short drive, and if he wanted to come home and visit the bay he drove the 4 hours to get there, which is cheaper than flyin' somewhere.

social aspect: my father claims to not have been much of a party person, though i doubt it, he said it wasn't "part of the plan" whatever that means. im sure you'll find your share of parties.

my father also enjoyed the diversity there...considering that this school is located in what was a rural area in the 70's and the fact that in the 70's the ethnic fabric of most universities were mostly drawn caucasian (dad's black). he enjoyed a lifestyle that celebrated diversity (a cali tradition).

dad also enjoy bragging about the academics that the school offers i know that they have a good engineering program (cuz its california polytechnic) and a decent business program. (TELL ME YOUR MAJOR/WHAT PART OF THE WORLD YOU ARE FROM__state,___country___major city whatever, the SoCal vibe is very unique...you have to get used to it)

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

im sorry i can't give you much else, but i know that my dad loved it there, he braggs about it every chance he gets :)

also try getting an internship in college, because pomona is kinda out there, and you need to get used to the city/work aspect of life i guess...my dad interned with Rorsten Purina (spelling, you know them they sell those high-end cat/dog food products)

ummm can't think of anything else to say when i do i'll get back to you

:) good luck :)

By Eliel (Eliel) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

THANKS magoo.
I have already been accepted and I am going there for sure. My major; Underclared(probably Landscape Architecture)
I am from Grand Terrace(SoCal)30min from Pomona.
I will be living on campus.
I am Mexican American.
I love living in SoCal, so I am used to it.
uhm...what else...
I hope I like it, dont you?!lol
what college are you going to?
Why did nt you apply to Cal Poly Pomona? Why do you wish you did?

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:10 am: Edit

ok the fact that you live in SoCal, makes explaining it so much easier...i thought you were from Maine or something...if you like pomona, than good for you, it has probably changed a lot since my D has been there, which was 30 years ago (it was more rural)

anyways, instead of U. of Arizona or Portland State U. i've decided to go to Howard U. in washington D.C.,... i think i made the right choice...i can tell my parents want me to come back to cali.

alright, i didn't apply to pomona, because at first i thought, i wouldn't get in with my stats (1070 SAT, 3.2 G.P.A., a pretty good amount of EC's)... so i kinda ignored the school...also i didn't care for the local.

so after appling to all the schools on my list (6 schools)i for some reason started to look at pomona...i started to research it, i found out that they had good programs (arch. engineering, bus. etc.), it was diverse, then i found out that they consider legacy (which my father went there and i could have gotten money for it)...i felt so stupid, but in the end i haven't died from my choice i feel proud to be part of a legacy that has influenced this countey for almost two centuries

so yeah that's my story
oh btw i think that'll major in International Business, which howard has a great business school...and im from NORCAL...your place suxs :)
(from a spoiled little suburb you've never even heard of Danville)

By Eliel (Eliel) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

were is Norcal?...,lol(im kidding) Actually I have never heard of Danville,...it seems boring and in the middle of nowhere. I have never been out of SoCal so therefore I will not put your little section of california down...lol, after all, we are Californians and thats what matters:)
btw, have you heard of Grand Terrace or Fontana?

By Magoo (Magoo) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

oops sorry late response:

Never heard of Fontana, however Grand Terrace Sounds Familiar...are you near the grape vine...just curious...

yes danville is pretty boring, but in the past few years more people have moved out here making it a little more diverse, both in income and ethnicty.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page