Biomedical Engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Biomedical Engineering
By Has (Has) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

I'd like some insight into Biomedical Engineering as a major in college. From all I have read its seems great. I have done some reasearch preliminarily and found that the engineering of Biomaterials,chemicals, and devices really intrigues me. Can anybody tell me what exactly what the engineering focus is and exactly what you do, and how colleges make it BME and not a Bio and engineering paste together. What exactly is the difference between these two.

By Has (Has) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

Anybody

By J0h (J0h) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

www.jhu.edu

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Biomedical engineering is not really a combination of biology and engineering. There are such combinations, but they tend to be called bioengineering or the like.

Biomedical engineering involves the design of devices to be used in human or animal bodies - typically a combination of mechanical engineering (often with some EE mixed in) and anatomy - devices ranging from stents and the like to artificial joints, prosthetics, artificial hearts, etc.

By Has (Has) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Thanks guys I do appriciate it

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I am interested in Biochemical engineering(dunno if this is the same as biomedical engineering).

Any suggestions on what specifically I could do in terms or EC or in terms of AP classes?

By Has (Has) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

I have always heard that A good science base is important. AP Bio and Physics are probably the classes you might want to pursue. Keep current in enginnering/medical devices, drug therapy ect, See if you can do some reasearch in this area. What actually goes on in college is the only thing I am uncertain about

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Thunder77: Biochemical engineering is an area of chemical engineering that deals with biological processes such as fermentation (used not only to make beer but many pharmaceuticals). AP chemistry would be useful; also AP biology, Physics could be useful, but isn't as close.

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

"Biomedical engineering involves the design of devices to be used in human or animal bodies -"

Not always. In general, it's safe to assume that "biomedical engineering" means applying engineering ideas towards medical problems. That encompasses the field of tissue engineering, which is largely based on using stem cells and polymers to reconstruct or repair damaged tissues, and also computational biology, which seeks to use quantitative models to explain signal transduction in cells. "Bioengineering" would extend this definition to combining biology with engineering in areas outside of medicine, including plant genetics.

Biochemical engineering would be more focused, as said earlier, on chemical aspects and on issues involved with the processing of pharmaceuticals. There really isn't an exact definition of what bioengineering or biomedical engineering really is, there is no ABET accreditation yet, and its difficult to major in biomedical engineering or bioengineering and get a job. Even at places like UCSD and Duke, which really push these programs, you'd be better of majoring in a traditional engineering discipline and then doing a MS or PhD in BioE/BME, or just becoming a biomedical/biological engineer at your job.

In general, the following fields go with the following majors:

Biomaterials/Tissue Engineering: ChemE, Materials Science, MechE to some extent

Biochemical Engineering: Chem, ChemE

Prosthetics/Biomedical Devices: EECS, MechE

Computational Biology: EECS, CS, Applied Math

Neural Systems Engineering: EECS, MechE to some extent

One could always do a major in one of these and take some molecular biology. It's just about impossible, though, to get in depth exposure to one of these fields with a major that's as interdisciplinary as BME or BioE.

By Sk6488 (Sk6488) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Is Biotechnology a major

By Has (Has) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

thanks this is good info

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Is Biotechnology a major ?

- Generally no, although some places (i.e. UCSD) have Biotechnology as an emphasis within the Bioengineering area. A lot of "biotechnology" is applied molecular biology, if that gives u an idea of the sort of things you'd study.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page