Ipod question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Ipod question
By Cortnee (Cortnee) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

I have a question for anyone who knows a lot about ipods. All the songs I'm ripping onto my computer are taking up a lot of memory and slowing it down, is there any way I can delete some songs from my computer but keep them on the ipod? I'm worried that when the ipod automatically updates it will erase all the songs I deleted.
Thanks!

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

i also have a question about ipod..... I'm thinking of getting a mini, is a 1000 songs enough? thanks!

By Cortnee (Cortnee) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

I just bought a 15 gb ipod and I love it, although i doubt I'll ever be able to fill it up with 3700 songs. So far i only have about 500, so I think a mini with 1000 should be good. (and you can always delete songs later). The only thing is that I got mine for $300, which is only $50 more than the mini and i got about 3 times as much space for songs on it. But they both are good, whichever one you choose.

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

I'm waiting for a 100gb Ipod before I invest in one.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

i was just researching around and noticed that the battery life of an ipod is bad... and that after 300 charges it dies and cost money to replace... is it worth it to buy it?

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

yea the ipod battery life dies about after a year and a half or so but to replace the battery isnt that expensive. i think its definitely worth it. the ipod is the mp3 player king :-D its very useful and well...u will love it. a 1.5 year battery life isnt that short

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Cortnee: There is a setting that allows you to sync the player and the computer but never delete things on either in the sync process; I don't own an iPod, but I know it's there.

HD-based digital audio players are another issue. Yes, the iPod is quite popular but no, it is not the best.

May I draw your attention to the Rio Karma. Sporting a 20GB hard drive, average 15hr. battery charge, large backlit display, easy navigation, playlists-on-the-fly, and many other snazzy features (including the "Rio DJ" which allows you to generate mixes based on parameters (most listened to, most recent, popular but haven't heard in a while, music from the '70s, '80s, '90s, etc. etc. etc.)).

The base station recharges, has an ethernet port for network file-loading, supports USB 1 and 2, RCA out, etc. etc.

And the price? $250 from Dell online. Probably the best digital audio player out there.

For more information, google "rio karma" and read to your heart's content.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

DON'T GET AN IPOD, GET AN IRIVER. Can be used as a harddrive, so many more features.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

you can back your hard drive on an ipod too. it is still king.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

I just resaurected a Nomad Jukebox I (the original hard drive mp3 player baby!) from the dead rather than buy a new one.

6 GB
portable hard drive
USB 1 and 2
nice firmware upgrades- all that "snazzy" stuff lies in the firmware, so as long as you upgrade, you can laugh at the IPodders who just dropped $250 for "playlists on the fly"

Cost- it was a gift a while ago, but to get it all up and running- $45 for new NiMH batteries and a new AC adapter.

pwn'd!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page