Fellow Fantasy Lovers

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Fellow Fantasy Lovers
By Ella05 (Ella05) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Who on here is hard core into fanstasy? Let's all reccommend some books to each other and maybe have some discussions. I love everything by Robin Hobbs, especially her Ship of Magic series.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

i like fantasy, i liked it more when i was younger tho, sword of shannara (sp?), the wrinkle in time series, golden compass series, um, u name a few now i cant remember

By Upandover (Upandover) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 05:55 am: Edit

The Wheel of Time
Earthsea
Discworld
Golden Compass series
Diana Wynne Jones

By Lyralily (Lyralily) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones
The Riddlemaster Trilogy (and everything else) by Patricia McKillip
Anything by Robin McKinley
The Golden COmpass trilogy
any collection of short stories by Charles de Lint

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

grr.... u lured me into reading this thread thinking it had to do with fantasy sports....lol

By Wunderkind__Not (Wunderkind__Not) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

my god, read the Dark Tower series- incredible

By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Song of Ice and Fire saga by George R.R. Martin

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

i feel obliged to rec The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Seaward is also outstanding.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Eval:
Wheel of Time... uhh sorta drags on and on even after only reading the first 3 books and there are what 10 now?
Discworld... sorta weird and random
Golden Compass was overrated, but it's pretty good

Recs:
Earthsea... very good one of my fav series, read it in elementary school though

Robin Hobb is a very interesting writer, i plan to star ship of magic soon... the assassin series is great... i love her style esp.

Raymond E. Feist... great story-teller ... check out Magician by Raymond E. Feist...

Terry Brooks has a few good Shannara series and some other series out

R.A. Salvatore writes a lot of Forgotten Realms stuff uhh

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Diana Wynne Jones- Howle's Moving Castle, pretty much anything by her

Piers Anthony's Xanth series (if you can handle the puns)

Ann McCaffrey Pern series

Loved everything by Feist

Scent of Magic by Andre Norton

Obviously Tolkien.

Anything and everything by Mercedes Lackey

Mists of Avalon (it's actually a series)

David Duncan, Redemption of Althalus (sp?)

Dark Lord of Dernholm - absolutely hilarious

By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

KingKongLives, I've never read any of R.A. Salvatore's forgotten Realm stuff. Is it any good?

By Umbrasquall (Umbrasquall) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I really haven't read any official fantasy since the end of last summer when I read some of Tamora Pierce's books. (I think that's her name it was a long time ago)

Just wondering, are any of you intrested enough to actually WRITE fantasy fiction? I just found out recently that I love to write it as much I like to read it.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

tamora pierce is pretty good although it's a little bit more child-oriented

R.A. Salvatore is a pretty good story teller... he's more of an action writer, it's pretty fast-paced stuff... he's the premier writer for the famous Drow elf (dark elf) Drizz't Do'Urden or something like that hehe! check him out if you like fast-paced action fantasy material

I would love to write a fantasy fiction novel. I've never finished a novel i've started it takes a lot of hard work! I mean you get to write your favorite story :-)

By Demingy (Demingy) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Wow, this makes me feel old or something....

As far as authors go, I love Christopher Stasheff and Patricia Kenneally Morrison. Of course they both lean a little toward sci-fi as well, but their books are strongly fantasy.

I've read many individual fantasy novels that I really enjoyed, but these two are the only authors I've liked consistantly.

I really enjoyed Gael Baudino's "Strands of Starlight" quad series, but I didn't really like her other books.

By Fusiachi (Fusiachi) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:34 am: Edit

I second:

The Dark Tower - King
ASOIAF - George R. R. Martin

Both are utterly amazing.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I've read so much good fantasy that I don't feel qualified to write it.
hmmm, do you all think that guys or girls are more likely to be fantasy lovers? just curious

By Susah (Susah) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

i agree with apocalypse... the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin is incredible.

Apocalypse, do u konw when "A Feast for Crows" comes out?

By Iamqueena (Iamqueena) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

his dark materials trilogy (or as you say the golden compass trilogy)
tolkien
... a couple more that I don't have with me title wise
but on sci-fi ish side... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

By Quasarqueen (Quasarqueen) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

Sevenwaters Trilogy!!
The Lord of the Rings
To Say Nothing of the Dog
Out of the Silent Planet
Asimov's Robot Series (the caves of steel, the naked sun, etc etc)
I, Robot (NOT the movie...the book)
A Wrinkle in Time
And many other novels that I can't remember at the moment.

By Quasarqueen (Quasarqueen) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

Actually, most of those were sci fi.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

ewwwwwwwwww nerds!

By Dragonreborn (Dragonreborn) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Oh yes, goodchocolate, we're nerds. And I'm sure a lot of us here are proud of it.

Anyway, I'm a fantasy freak myself. Hmm...some of my favorite authors:

Terry Brooks
Robert Jordan
George RR Martin
RA Salvatore
Tad Williams
Terry Goodkind
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman-any dragon lance lovers?
Anne Bishop-anyone here read the Black Jewels trilogy and fall in love with Daemon?
Mercedes Lackey

By Hsun (Hsun) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

long live tolkien and king!!!

By Apocalypse_Now (Apocalypse_Now) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Susah, I heard July, but i don't really know for sure. I can't wait though...

By Lame (Lame) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Robert Jordan
Terry Goodkind
Tolkien
Modesitt
Frank Herbert (ok it's scifi)

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

does anyone know of any good fantasy books told from the perspective of evil(instead of the typical good party perspective, then good wins)? That's something I've been interested in for a while, but can't seem to find any books. Preferebly with magic and all the typical fantasy genre characteristics.

I LOVE The Forgotten Realms books. I'm reading the Return of the Archwizards series now. I've read Icewind Dale, and loved it. I'm also interested in Lovecraft. I have the Necronomicon(it IS fiction, not real), and it's really interesting.

By Dragonreborn (Dragonreborn) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

Drizzt!!! ^_______^

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

I would have thought that this thread would be more fun by the title....

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

That's what I was thinking too...

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

This thread makes me feel like a nerd!!! Sci Fi books are my closet obsession. Here's some comments of mine on my favorite authors.

Tolkien--
everything, but especially The Silmarillion. I love how his work is so incredibly detailed. It's a world where you could concievably have lived, it's so complex. Not to mention that the languages are fascinating to me because I've always been interested in linguistic type stuff.

C.S. Lewis--
Narnia and the Space Trilogy. I loved Narnia when I was little, but the Space Trilogy is aimed at more mature readers and every bit as entertaining (though the middle book, Perelandra, tends to drag in places).

HG Wells--
War of the Worlds. A definite classic, and though it was kind of challenging to get through at first, I liked the storyline.

Mervyn Peake--Gormenghast. This series is incredible, largely because of the detail paid to the characterization and description of all the odd characters in the old, moulding castle.

RA Salvatore--
anything with Drizzt in it. The dark elf books are the best, the series tends to drag as it goes on. However, I got hooked (sadly) and now I must read them all. I absolutely loved the Dark Elf trilogy.

Douglas Adams--
Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy "trilogy". British humor at it's best, except for Monty Python. I laughed so hard I was crying at various parts of books one and two the first time I read them.

Madeline L'engle:
A wrinkle in time and related books. Children's literature, yeah, but still enjoyable for a quick read. I loved A Wrinkle in Time.

JK Rowling--
Harry Potter!! I can't believe no one has mentioned this under fantasy yet. Eh, not quite the type of fantasy this thread seems to generate, but still this series is one of my favorite of all time. I am eagerly awaiting book six, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince!

Ursula LeGuin--
Earthsea books. One thing I enjoyed about these books was the very interesting take on magic, and the character of Ged was most interesting. Tehanu was a bit preachy towards women's rights, but overall I think Tombs of Atuan was my favorite in the series.

Orson Scott Card--
Ender series, Homecoming series, short stories, etc. Maybe not the best writer, but his books are very entertaining, and contain clever diologue and some great action scenes. I think my fav. book by him was Speaker for the Dead.

Anne McCaffery--
I've only read about seven dragonriders books, but it's still one of my favorite series. They strike me as books more women would enjoy then men, but then I could be wrong. The Acorna series is also good as well as the Freedom series.

Christopher Paolin--
Eragon. I thought this was going to be a Tolkien ripoff, but in reality it turned out to borrow much more from McCaffery and LeGuin. while it did seem like a hodgepoge of different fantasy writers and copious battle coverage, I must admit I couldn't put it down.

Robert Jordan--
Wheel of Time. The attention to detail was a main attraction of this series to me. I'm not all the way through it, in fact I'm early on, but I plan on reading the whole thing.

Garth Nix--
Abhorsen trilogy and Shade's Children. Picked these up from the library and didn't think they'd be good. Couldn't put Shade's Children down, despite the fact it was weird. Abhorsen books were also fast paced, and it was kinda easy to guess certain endings and stuff, but nonetheless I found the take on neocromancy very interesting.

It's sad how many I know i've forgotten and yet can't remember right now. Plus, there are all the other single books that I've read adn aren't a part of a series.

Yeah for nerds!
Noelle

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Ender's game is amazing

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

"JK Rowling--
Harry Potter!! I can't believe no one has mentioned this under fantasy yet. Eh, not quite the type of fantasy this thread seems to generate, but still this series is one of my favorite of all time. I am eagerly awaiting book six, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince! "

GO HARRY POTTER!

By Efilsiertaeht (Efilsiertaeht) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

Dragonreborn- YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! Black Jewels Trilogy, in love with Daemon... mememememememe!!!!!!

Exiles by Melanie Rawn. Unfortunately the date for the third book keeps getting pushed back... but she's actually starting to think about/write it. WONDERFUL series.

The Secret Texts by Holly Lisle... I can't believe no-one has mentioned these! I have yet to meet someone who hasn't loved them.

And I second Tad Williams, whose 2nd Otherland book I am currently in the middle of.

By Leahwelch (Leahwelch) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

I was 13, and read a fantasy trilogy: I don't have the Title, the Author nor can I remember the main character's name (a young boy/man). There's a dragon in the first chapter; a boy who becomes a magician and later is goes into a labyrinth (First Book) where it's deathlike but he is not quite dead or alive (he had jumped over a wall to 'rescue' a friend and when he was over the wall and turned around he found he could not climb back over as it had grown extensively). When he does escape from the 'underworld', something is chasing him, something he thinks is evil. Later it turns out to just be his shadow.

One more thing I remember is that the magician's in the book could turn themselves into other animals, but there was a time limit with which they could turn themselves back into humans. The main character, or his friend had changed into a hawk and couldn't remember how to change back. One story in the book tells of a great magician who changed into a dolphin and couldn't remember the spell to change back.

Can anyone help, or do you know who I could contact who would know?

Thanks,
leah welch
Bluepixie25@lycos.com

P.S. I forgot to mention this but the book had to be copyrighted in 1993 or before as that was when I read it. Whether or not there are new editions I'm not sure.

By Optimizerdad (Optimizerdad) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Elizabeth Lynn
Jo Clayton
Ursula LeGuin

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

A fellow was my fantasy lover but I was afraid to tell him.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page