Bombarded with pop-up ads

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Bombarded with pop-up ads
By Dsh (Dsh) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

I've been having a problem lately that my computer keeps trolling for pop-up ads on the web. I keep deleting trolling programs that have installed themselves, but sometimes they come back, and sometimes the ads keep coming even when I don't see a trolling program in my list of programs.

My question is, is this happening because I visit this web site? It must be coming from some web site. Is anyone else experiencing this?

By Sc_Dad (Sc_Dad) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

No problems since I installed firewall software to prevent malicious sites installing programs on my pc. It also suppresses most ads on the website. Makes for a more enjoyable surfing experience.

Also installed Ad-Aware (free copy available) for the following:

What is Ad-aware?
Ad-aware is THE award winning, multi-trackware detection and removal utility (designed for Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / NT40 / 2000 / XP Home / XP Pro) that will comprehensively scan your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known Datamining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, Keyloggers, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components.

Ad-aware will provide you with the confidence to surf the Internet knowing that your privacy will remain intact.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Not from this site.

Also: Download Spybot. Best damn piece of free software ever written.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=pl

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

wow- I was just about to reply and tell you to download AdAware and Spybot, and then they took the words out of my mouth. Use them both!

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Use Mozilla web browser--I've never had a pop up since I downloaded it. Also, it is great for surfing--you can use tabs all within one window.

By Dsh (Dsh) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Ask a bunch of nerds and you get a lot of feedback! :)

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Spybot: Search and Destroy

solution to all your problems!

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Read the whole...

oh, never mind.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Switch! I switched a year ago and have had:

1. no popups (a setting in Netscape 7.1 browser controls them)

2. no system crashes. None. My browser crashes once every 4-5 days, but never takes the system down with it. I leave the sytem and the computer on 24/7 for weeks at a time.

3. no viruses. (and that's without any virus protection!)

4. I get maybe a half dozen spams a WEEK. I ignore them---and they go away. On a PC, spam multiplies like rabbits---thanks to adware and spyware specific to that platform.

5. I don't EVER mess with my Mac. No defrag. No system maintenance. Nothing at all. I just use my computer as the reliable tool it was designed to be.

-----

Yeah, I know all about the many rationalizations why PCs are superior to Macs. I remain mystified why so many people remain involved with a platform that is such a huge PITA to them, causes them so much wasted time, and---worst of all---causes them to wake each morning and think, "What in the world is going to go wrong with that machine today?

By Dsh (Dsh) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Spybot S&D seems to be working. I'm thrilled. Thanks again.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

"I remain mystified why so many people remain involved with a platform that is such a huge PITA to them, causes them so much wasted time, and---worst of all---causes them to wake each morning and think, "What in the world is going to go wrong with that machine today?"

To answer your question, I remain involved because I have never had those problems. Of course a good share of this could be that I'm not what one would consider a "serious user" when it comes to computers, but whatever the reason I have happily been problem free.

I'm not saying that it is better than Mac or that no one has problems. This has just been my personal experience (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

By Philntex (Philntex) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Spybot S&D has turned my life upside down within the last three hours. In those three hours I have:

1) Downloaded the program
2) Ran it
3) Lost the Internet connection on my dad's computer after allowing it to get rid of the "bad" files on it
4) Lost the ability for many of the programs on his comp to work
5) Uninstalled Internet Explorer in an attempt to fix the problem, only to discover that the comp now won't let me reinstall it
6) Pulled out nearly hair in my head

Arghh! If I could turn back the hands of time, today would be the day I would do it. I'm as good as dead :)

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

I have Google's search bar with pop up blocker to get rid of the Internet Explorer ads. I have Ad-Aware, but find it to be almost useless. My anti-virus scanner (Norton) does essentially the same job without that annoying "Quarantine List" that you have to scan through.

By Dsh (Dsh) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Philntex, I'm so sorry! I was a bit afraid of something like that before I ran the program, but I lucked out.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

I was also afraid that something might happen when I installed Spybot (and Ad-Aware), so I set a system restore point on my computer (for Windows XP Pro: go to the start menu, accessories, system tools, system restore, then follow the "wizard" instructions). I've also noticed that Spybot backs up your registry so if something necessary accidentally gets deleted you can try to restore the previous registry through Spybot (there's a whole FAQ/Tutorial on this). If that doesn't work, you generally should be able to go back to the restore point that you set in Windows from BEFORE you installed the program.

I just wanted to share this info for those people who aren't too computer savvy but might want to try installing this program (or any other program for that matter--always back up your stuff before you make changes and set up a restore point). BTW, I actually didn't have any problems running the two programs yet (knock on wood), but I'm still glad that I backed everything up in case something comes up.

Philntex, it may be too late for this, but have you tried to use the registry restore in Spybot to see if you can get back the files that were deleted by Spybot? I'm not a computer guru, but I think that is probably what caused your program problems, and at this point what do you really have to lose?

By Nathalie26 (Nathalie26) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I just tried Spybot. It rocks - 810 superfluous files deleted. Thanks to those who posted the links.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

The analogy I've always used is cleaning a floor. Ad-aware uses a mop and soapy water--it gets rid of most everything, does it pretty well, but still might not get some of the most finely dug-in stuff out.

Spybot is just tossing a big bucket of hydrochloric acid on the floor. (I don't really know anyone that's had problems with it, but the program does give you a warning. Have you done anything with System Restore?)

Either way, you (and here by 'you', I mean everyone reading this topic on Internet Explorer :)) should definitely download Mozilla, especially if you don't have the reasons or cash to change from Windows to Macintosh. People who use the Internet less than obsessively should probably try the Firefox browser on that site.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

mozilla firefox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use it.
you'll love it.
i promise.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Daffodil-you dont have to scan through it-just right click and "select all"-all the things they find are always ads so you dont have to worry

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page