Taking a year off after HS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Taking a year off after HS
By Oreocookie86 (Oreocookie86) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

Hi all,

My situation is a bit unique. I have been homeschooled for the past four years and have done everything in my power to become a competitive applicant when college application time came around (I took junior college classes, maintained a high GPA, was ranked 8/149, was very involved in my community, won various recongitions). The only downsides to my application were my mediocre SAT scores (1270 SAT 1, 600s SAT 2's). I got rejected by most of the schools I applied to (UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Stanford, and Duke) but got into Santa Clara University and was waitlisted at Cornell (but eventually turned down).

My family is moving to Pakistan this fall and I'm planning to take a year off and work with a humanitarian organization. Then, I will re-apply to colleges here and go from there.

I have three questions for you all. 1) Do any of you know of volunteer organizations that hire HS grads in Pakistan? 2) How would colleges look at my situation when I reapply? 3) Do you have any other advice regarding my situation? I'm thinking of taking the ACTs when I reapply to schools. I want to major in Urban Studies.

Thanks so much for reading and I hope to hear from you soon.

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

My situation was a little different, but I took about 9 months off after high school, and it was fantastic. I would only advise it if you need a break. I was 25/360, had a 3.9, 1380 SATs and I seriously freaked out and needed a break. I'm sure taking a year off to vounteer in Pakistan is a worthwhile reason to take time off. But you said you had taken a bunch of cc classes, how far are you froming being a sophmore? You might just want to transfer.

By Oreocookie86 (Oreocookie86) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

thanks for the reply. where did you take a year off and what did you do? are you in college now? did you have to reapply all over again to schools, too? how was that process? were you able to talk to any of the admissions ppl at the colleges you (re?)applied to?

sorry for being so interrogative, lol. :)

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

I was sort of a big old bum....I sat around my parents house and read a lot of books I never had time for before that.....I spent a lot of time alone, which was what I needed, but I also went and visited most of my friends who had moved away for college. My parents live in Lake Tahoe, which is ridiculously pretty and peaceful so i spent a lot of time at the bech by myslef and out hinking around by myself, which I know is not quite Pakistan
I'm in college now...I just went to a jc since it was easier that way, but I'm going to UCLA next year, so I had to reapply as a transfer, which is a lot less stressful, since you don't really need to worry about e.c.'s and SATs as much. I highly recommend it. And then you're a junior in college, which is a lot better than being a freshmen. If I were you, I'd go to Pakistanor wherever else you want and do whatever for a year and reapply as a transfer later. Colleges like people that have had a little time to grow up and "find themselves".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page