What is BUMP??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What is BUMP??
By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Yes, I am a complete idiot. What does it mean when someone leaves a message that simply says "bump?" I have been trying to figure this out ever since I joined this board.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

an acronym for "bring up my post"

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

OH! Thank you that clears up so much!

By Over30 (Over30) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Kiwee, I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. If you're not, then here's the long answer to your question. If no one responds to a thread it keeps moving down the list as new threads or posts to other threads are made. Soon your thread will be so far down no one will bother to read it. So, by just posting "bump" on a thread it moves it back up to the top (for a short while anyway). Some people have said you shouldn't do it more than once a day. but I don't know if that is a rule or not.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I have read the Terms of Service and do not see any "bumping" restrictions. However, it does warn against repetitive posting.

I did see a moderator ask that a person stop bumping his/her thread so often. I think a person should "bump" a thread only once a day out of courtesy to the other thread starters.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

In one thread I read a moderator tell a poster that they should only "bump" once a day, and in another thread a moderator told a poster that they shouldn't "bump" and instead they should ask a related question if they are looking for responses.....

Personally I agree that it is common courtesy to only "bump" once a day.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page