The "Olden Days"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: The "Olden Days"
By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Okay maybe this is a bit weird but I just finished watching that old Drew Barrymore movie, Ever After, and I so wish I lived in those times! Everything was much more interesting. Does anyone else feel like they have been born in the wrong age? (And by the way their dresses were gorgeous!)

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

People were smelly back then.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

While the artwork, clothing, etc was amazing back then, I can't say that I'd be too happy with the "place" that women were in back then.

Growing up, there were several times when I thought I should have been born in such-n-such place at such-n-such time, but then I'd learn more about it and realize that I would have been miserable.

I have to admit that there are a few different places I wish I could be NOW....

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Maybe. It seems to me that everyone my age is kind of apathetic, and I doubt it's always been like that. People are getting too spoiled. It's kind of sad to see 5'2" Sophomore girls driving their cars maniacally and screaming at their parents on their cellphones. Ugh.

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

oops sorry, i thought it said the Olsen days

By Salamanda (Salamanda) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

i feel that way a lot! i have always found any time period more important than my own, especially medieval times. Although...if i were born in those times i would prefer to be born a guy, because they are the only ones who had a say in things and an opportunity to prove themselves.

By Esmeralda1 (Esmeralda1) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

I think as time goes by, different ways of life are idealized and that's why people want to live in a different time.

I used to think it would be cool to live in medieval times, but, if you think about it, most people back then were really poor peasants or servants who worked all day for their whole life and died young.

Movies and books often focus on the most interesting aspects of a specific time, making the whole age look appealing. I bet if someone from the past had a glimpse into the life of a rich& famous person from the 21st century, they would feel like they were born in the wrong time too.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Esmerelda=wise

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page