Professors Salaries?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Professors Salaries?
By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

I was wodnering if anyone knows what is about normal for a professor t a large state university. I was wanting to maybe be a professor at a UC or CSU however if i dont have the ability to make 100k+ I wouldnt do it, is this a realistic salary for this profession?

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Full professors at the UCs make $100K+ ayear

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Full professors do, but associates and adjuncts make much less. The road to $100k is not easy.

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

How much do Associate professors make at private universities?

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

The bigger you are in your field, the more likely you are to have outside money, from startups and consulting. You also should consider that academics get excellent health benefits - but yeah, it's not a great way to make money, and definately not a quick way to make money.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

Alot of profs make more $$ on the books they write than on their yearly salary.....

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

depends on the field!! Many subjects either 1)dont pay well (things like dance, etc.) or 2) extremely competitive. You gotsta choose wisely. Oh and dont become a professor because of the salary- you should become a professor because you love your field- otherwise you won't be happy.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

We have friends that are adjuncts or assc profs and they do pretty well. Lead their own research teams staffed with post docs... I have the impression that not all funding comes from the university but from research grants that they win.
But I agree, don't do it because of money, if you are just interested in how much money and not the teaching, find a way to make money at what you are interested in.
Life is too short to sell yourself for a dollar

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page