Soccer

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Soccer
By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Just how big is soccer in America? Do you even watch the world cup? Do you know any English soccer players?

Btw, you don't know how painful it is for me to refer to my beloved football as soccer!

By Mac87 (Mac87) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

a lot of kids play it here, but not many people follow it, few people pay attention to MLS and less to the English league, people that like soccer watch the World Cup, but other than that few games are on TV, like two or three MLS games a week at the most

and you don't know you offended football fans are when they here soocer called football

it is nowhere near as big as football, basketball, and baseball

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

soccer is pretty big in america....well atleast in California it is. I'm in loove with it. At San Diego State they have an indoor soccer league. Go man U.!

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Well it is called football, that's what every other country calls it! Lol. You guys have some decent players in the English League, like Brad Friedel, Claudio Reyna, Kasey Keller and Brian McBride

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Nooooooooo! Don't go Man.U. Man.U suck!!!!!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

real madrid and inter milan :)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

uh go Liverpool..atleast the beatles grew up there...

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

well its not as big as football, hockey, baseball, or baskeyball :-D

By Alejandro (Alejandro) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

EnglishGirl you forgot to mention the best american in the EPL: Tim Howard.

As far as I know Man Utd. are huge in the states, look at the preseason tour they had last year with other big european teams, they filled one stadium after another.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

Football(soccer) is played a lot in the US but most Americans find it boring to watch. I am originally from Mexico and I love football (or futbol or futebol or soccer or voetbal, or calcio, or whatever you want to call it). I was in London two winters ago and got to see Arsenal v. Southampton, it was a good match. The best one I've been to, though, was Barca v. AC Milan -Milan is my favorite team! My favorite leagues are the Serie A, the EPL, the Mexican league, and la Liga Espanola. I don't really like the Bundesliga, the Argentinian league, or the Brasilian league.

And in the EPL definitely go Arsenal! I agree MAN U blows!

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

Lol I deliberatly DIDN'T mention Tim Howard because he plays for united, and like the rest of their players, is over-rated in my opinion. He's still good though, but Friedel is a better keeper in most people's opinion. It seems to me that a lot of Americans think United are the best team in England, when Arsenal are so much better.

I support Liverpool though so I'm slightly biased!

By Ishouldflee (Ishouldflee) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

Soccer is huge here. As many boys play soccer as play football and tons of girls play. I dont know people who follow international teams tho, but Americans do watch the world cup. (mostly because we want to relive our womens victory over china) lol

By Alejandro (Alejandro) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

I find it hard to believe that most people think that Brad Friedel is better than Tim Howard...

Ben700- Where are you from in mexico? I'm living in Puebla right now but our team sucks! lol

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

They do. Friedel had an unbelievable season last season. He was easily the best goalie in the Prem. This season he hasn't been as good, but he's still a great player. Howard started off well for united, but he's prone to errors

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Have you seen the movie Green Machine? SO GOOD, go see it. English girl whats your screen name? I'm gonna be in Europe this summer, we should talk.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

No, I haven't seen it. What do you mean by screen name? Where in Europe are you going?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

AIM screen name, lol well a villa in italy...

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

Alejandro, I'm from Guadalajara. Arriba las Chivas!!!!!!!!

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

What's AIM? I don't think we have that over here, what ever it is!

By Eeyore8116 (Eeyore8116) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

AIM is pretty much the equivalent of what most people in england use, msn messenger. it is an instant messenging system however each person has their own screename as opposed to using their email address.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Man U ownz you!!!
I live in the DC Baltimore metro area and soccer is reasonably popular here (thank god)!
Just wait everyone, My boys at Barca and Man U will win some nice silverware next year..Just Wait!

By Mac87 (Mac87) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

mabey i'm just confused, but why is it everytime i see an engish soccer game it seems like every person in the stands is wearing black?

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

"mabey i'm just confused, but why is it everytime i see an engish soccer game it seems like every person in the stands is wearing black?"

I don't know. That's weird. Maybe the team they support was playing in black? (although very few teams wear black). I've never been to a football game wearing black, i always where my replica shirt

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I live in Florida, and soccer is huge here. I guess it's because we have a gigantic latin population (I'm part of it..). Most kids I know are on a soccer team, or were until very recently.

By Judeezy36 (Judeezy36) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

I'm a big barca fan myself.. quaresma, ronaldinho and the like... real mardid blows considering they have everyone and still lose.. ok ok so my favorite 3 players..
1. Thierry Henry
2. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
3. Edgar Davids

By Dswmo456 (Dswmo456) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:57 am: Edit

Go liverpool!

(sings) stevie gerrard *clap clap clap*

edgar davids is good in my book, I heard rumors he's going to the pool next year. henry and van nistelrooy though...

By Judeezy36 (Judeezy36) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

don't be foolish... what's wrong with henry and nistelrooy? they lead the premiership in scoring for one, and they're both plain dirty (meaning good)... it's not like i'm rooting for beckham and ronaldo here..liverpool is good yes.. and they have hot jerseys and michael owen..

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Liverpool rule! (thought I'd throw that in there again). I like Edgar Davids, he's cool :) Henry is amazing, RVN plays for utd and therefore I automatically hate him. Steven Gerrard is England's best player by far. 24 hours till Euro 2004...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page