Quantum Physics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Quantum Physics
By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

It caught my attention in a book that I read, and it seemed interesting. Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

There's thousands of books out on it. If you want a complete understanding of the subject, regardless of how much you currently know about it, read Lee Smolin's Three Roads to Quantum Gravity.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

no, that book sucks, im serious, i learned nothing from reading that book, the driest piece of reading ever.

read hawking's The universe in a nutshell or...

brian greene's The elegant universe

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I took a couple of elective classes on it in college and loved it. Get an excellent math background (through multi-variable calc and differential equations) before really getting into it.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Hawking oversimplifies things to the point to which they can't even be properly understood. If you want to learn dry, unsupported facts, read Hawking's books. If not, look elsewhere.

If you want to read some books on physics in general, I suggest books by Isaac Asimov.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

String theory is where it's at!

By Astrobobocop (Astrobobocop) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

ah yes string theory, something we can't prove as yet. it sounds real good but until it's proven, i'm not buying it.

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

A complete understanding of quantum physics is not possible. Quantum physics is an incredibly new and poorly understood field -- almost as much art as science.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

O.K. then, a complete understanding of what we know about basic quantum physics.

I thought that went without saying. Guess not.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

Read Steven Hawking's book A Brief History of Time

By Cornelius (Cornelius) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

Read a book called "QED" by Feyman, it's for the general public mostly.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

uve all mentioned the good sources, so ill just say that

im reading elegant universe now and its amazing

i read a biogaphy type book by feynman and that was really good too, ill try QED

Assimov is good at making physics simple

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

asimov is fairly outdated tho...

yea, the Feynman book is REALLY good, highly recommended...

By Jnm123 (Jnm123) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I am currently working my way, agonizingly, through 'The Elegant Universe--Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions & The Quest For The Ultimate Theory' by Brian Greene. It is supposed to be kind of a "Quantum Physics for Dummies", but if that's the case, I must be REALLY slow. It's very interesting, but it takes a ton of re-reading.

'Course, I've been out of college for 25 years & the only class remotely connected to physics I ever took was Astronomy at U. of Iowa, and the only reason I enrolled was to take it from the great James Van Allen. Unfortunately, he was a complete bore (I slept through many a lecture) and thank God I took it pass/fail.

By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Beyond Einstein seems like a pretty interesting book on not just Superstring theory but also Quantum Physics and how Quanta and Relativity combine to form The Theory of Everything or at least the most promising theory of all.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page