Essential Gear for College, besides Books...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Essential Gear for College, besides Books...
By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

what is the essential gear you need for college?

like an ipod, or a digital camera

P.S. fake id is not one of them

By Elleneast (Elleneast) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

My daughter considers her iPod a necessity of life. At Christmas time I gave her a cool little gizmo has a cradle for the iPod and speakers on either side. I think that Altec makes it. She used it all of the time at school.

By Emika (Emika) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

From what I've heard from my brother, a microwave and a minifridge is a must if your college doesn't already offer them to students staying on campus.

By Fizzuhcist (Fizzuhcist) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

You're gonna want a huge laundry hamper, cause you'll realize that's no fun to do. You'll also want a good alarm clock. A nice set of headphones also will come in handy.

btw, Fake IDs are not necessary because someone else always has one. There aer always parties to go to as well.

By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

anything else?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

It's been a while since I lived in a dorm, but I figure "Does anyone have a screwdriver?" is still heard quite a bit. No need for the whole set of Craftsman tools... but someone is going to need a screwdriver or pair of pliers before Thanksgiving break rolls around.

By Henfour (Henfour) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

laptop computer, cell phone, pda, bike, car, printer

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

I dont go a day without my iPod, and I assume I will use it even more next year during the walks to and from classes.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

How much is an iPod?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

At least 300 greenbacks.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

iPod Mini - 4GB - $250
iPod - 15 GB - $300
iPod - 20GB - $400 (I have this one) - also comes with docking bay and case and some other extras, I feel its worth it to get this one
iPod - 40 GB - $500 (CRAZY BIG!)

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

That's crazy expensive. If only I had $400...

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Its SOOOOOO worth it :D

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

I'm looking into this...

What's the difference between the iPod Mini and the regular iPod besides size? I might go for an iPod Mini because I feel 4 GB is way more than I'll ever need (70 hours of music). (Who on earthy would need 40 GB?) Also, say I don't have the money: would it be lame to just get a knock-off, say one of those Rio Sport players for $50 though they only hold 2 hours of music?

By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

i think as u look into it, u cant beat the ipod for organazation, aesthics, size, reconizability, quality, or originality. no other mp3 player looks good at all. the only knock i hear is battery life.

By Tangobingo28 (Tangobingo28) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

im not that crazy about music, what else is an ipod good for?

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

same thought here

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

An iPod is also good for backing up your ultra important files, as in papers. And since viruses aren't a big prob with Macs, you can have fun trading programs and games and stuff with the other "apple" heads.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

that's funny but they are not "knock-offs" they are either completely different products or in some cases even better than iPods (cheaper oftentimes too.)

Check out these:
Archos
Neuros <<

By Eclinchy (Eclinchy) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Can someone explain to me how batteries work in an iPod?

I hear that it doesn't run on ordinary AAs, but it has its own battery... how much do these things cost to replace, and how often will I need to replace them?

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

2 drawer locking file cabinet. Great for locking up those i-pods & stuff, also can be used to file...

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:32 am: Edit

*I think that an ipod is good for getting crazy about music
* The battery is chargable- they are something called "Lithium Ion batteries" which are batteries that never sleep. That's why when you turn on an ipod, it turns on so quickly, and thats why you should never let the power fully drain. Some people had serious problems with the battery, but for most people, at first it only goes for about 5 hours, and then improves- or vice versa. After a year and half, you have to replace the battery.

By Gidget (Gidget) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

Backing away from the I pod thing -

Other neccesary things for college

- Stereo and Cd's
- Sports gear- for orientation activites
- an extra lamp
- A fan
_more blankets for winter
-a good laundry basket- that can double as a canoe in the winter- no joke-
- cups - lots as they will go missing
-phone cards- long distance
- tools are a good idea
- cleaning products
-living room decorations
-and other things you can think of.

-

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page