Where Can I Find People Like Me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Where Can I Find People Like Me?
By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

I am sixteen years old and I grew up in a college town where just abotu the only thing to do was to go to the little artsy coffee shops for the college kids. Now I have moved to a place where there seems to be no one like me. I am one of those people who likes to sit around in coffee shops go to art museums and read books on art history. I love my friends to death, but soemtimes I just wish I had a friend who shared my interests a bit more closely. I like going to coffee shops, but the only people I have met there are people who are there because they have work to do and don't want to be bothered, or random creepy guys who just want to hit on me. Is anyone out there a "coffee shop/artistic" person like me? Do you know where I can find some "coffee shop" friends?

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

Go to Berkeley.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

Are there museums around? Frequent the coffee shops in those. :)

If you can afford it, try taking a summer course in art history. The people that you could meet at one of those would be great for you.

Hum... you didn't come out and say it, but I'll take a few guesses. The coffee shops in your old town were probably small, quiet, the place to hang out for a while. Not Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. You're probably in a town now with the Starbucks, and the people there are usually (no offense meant to Starbuck's frequenters!) the working yuppie types, people spiffing up resumes while downing coffee, people meeting friends, and creepy guys who are like twice your age. If you haven't already, try to find a more out of the way coffee shop.

May I suggest as well a Barnes and Noble or similar bookstore? Couches for lounging around and coffee in many of them. :)

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Thanks for ur help. Ariesanthena ur exactly right in your comparison of the coffee shops i am used to and then ones here. But the Barnes and Noble type places are the ones where the creepy guys have hit on me. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Those kinds of people that hung out in the coffee shops in the old home town... are most likely in abundance in your new town. They have just found a different kind of place to hang out!

Don't get into a sweat looking for just the right type of coffee shop; it wasn't the tables and menus that made you happy---it was the people.

In our town, the librarians seem to have a pretty good handle on who are the artsy people in the area. Ask them. If your town has a local newspaper, ask someone who covers the local beat. Look for any sign of a local arts council. Borders seems a better bet than Barnes & Noble if you've got one in the area.

If everything fails... open up a cool little coffee shop and see who comes in!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

go to nyu :)

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Kiwee: I'm guessing that you would have been hanging around those coffee shops when you were a bit younger; then people might find it interesting to talk to a kid, might even adopt you, so to speak. At the age of 16 there might not be many coffee shops (we used to call them coffee houses) where creepy guys or any other guys for that matter won't try to meet you. Probably not that much in museum coffee shops, though, as suggested.

Wherever you live, there may be a college nearby. Check out the coffee shops in that area.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

i enjoy spending time at coffeehouses, usually at the B&N-starbucks type cafe. the only thing i do there is read the newspaper from cover to cover, and when once i'm enlightened about what's going on in the world that day and the previous day, i leave. i like B&N-starbucks because there's not much chattering there unlike in other places. however, what bothers me is people sipping their coffee in straws, chewing food and reading at the same time. i know this is such a peculiar reason to make a big deal out of, but i don't like it when people use straws to drink hot beverage (and in some cases cold beverages as well...like when i see people walking around sipping a frappuccino). i'd prefer it if they just drink it plain and simple without the straw or if it's too hot, stir it first and maybe use a teaspoon. i just think drinking coffee from a straw is unnatural, not that i would actually force anyone to follow my belief. i try to avoid as many unnatural things as i can, and this is one of those unnecessary ones. and i also don't think that people should eat and read at the same time. eat first, and then read or vice versa. but that's just me. i'm not forcing my views on anybody.

are you saying that you turn to coffehouses to find strangers/potential friends who share your interests and personality? i don't know where else you can find "coffeeshop friends" other than at coffee shops themselves. and since you're artistic, maybe consider going to an arts summer program such as interlochen (sp?) or idyllwild (sp?). i'm from chicago, so if i were you, i would inquire about summer programs at the art institute of chicago. oh, try to be a docent at an art museum! what better way to meet people who are interested in art. or better yet, you can try to find work at a coffeehouse that's near an art museum.

one more thing, what do you mean by "creeps"?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

In addition to being a docent or otherwise volunteering at a museum, also go to lectures and films at museums.

Consider taking art courses at a local college or art museum or store. Joining a book discussion group would be another way to meet friends. Check your library and bookstores for info about book groups. If they don't have any, think of a theme, and start one at the library or book store.

If your library has a store or coffee shop, that also could be a good place to volunteer.

You'll also probably find like minded people if you check out foreign film and art film viewing. There may even be a club that organizes such viewings. Check the Internet to see if you can locate one.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

come hang out with me.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Chicago!
Art Institute

By New_Generation (New_Generation) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Hi! I am 16 also.
Bummer, my space bar is stuck again.....
I love reading, writing books, history, art, music (I play the piano, violin and want to play the harp and cello)throwing pots, animals (I want to be a vet) and sports.
Good grief, I've GOT to get to bed. By all! *snore*

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

Generation you sound like my kind of person. Although i can't really play any instruments except flute and piano just to find my pitch. I sing. I liek reading and writing, and used to want to be a vet, until I realized that I like theatre and art better. I still love my animals though. I like sports too, although I have zero coordination so I am really bad.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page