Mu Alpha Theta Requirements

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Mu Alpha Theta Requirements
By Brennis (Brennis) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

I am thinking of starting a Mu Alpha Theta chapter at my school. The website is a little confusing. What exact math classes must be taken in order to qualify for membership?

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

i was initiated in it during the year i took algebra 2.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

are you a full member?

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

yes. what's the difference between a full member and not a full member?

By Baggins (Baggins) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

on the website it said that you need to have taken 2 college prep classes to become a full member but you just needed to have taken algebra 1 to part of MAT. I just wanted to clarify the requirements b/c I'm thinking of starting a chapter at my school.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

umm all i know is that i was initiated during freshman year when i took alg 2 (H). that is the year when people get initiated no matter what grade you're in. i'm not sure though if the people in College Prep alg 2 get initiated. I think you have to have an A or B average in all math classes that you took in highschool. sorry i dont know that much about it since we dont do anything in it, they basically tell us to put it on or collge app. we have a buch of other math stuff where there's competitions and contests too

By Baggins (Baggins) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Thanks.

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

Well, my school starts Algebra later than most (a lot of middle schools start in 7th grade, mine did in 8th), so this year, the honors Algebra 1 class was invited, and whoever wanted to could join, but you had to be in honors algebra. I went to a few competitions, but I never heard of a "full" member, or any requirements other than taking the class in which you're competing.

By Scrsteven (Scrsteven) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

i was co-president of my school's chapter this last year. our requirements were 3 college preparatory courses I think.. like algebra, algebra 2, and geometry before you could apply. ppl applying also had to have a certain math gpa, i forget what, and write a short essay on what they would contribute to MAT

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page