Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings................READ ON...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings................READ ON...
By Flipflops (Flipflops) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Will it totally boggle your mind if I say that I've never read any of the HP books or have seen the movies? And that I dont want to?
Ah, but Lord of the Rings is the BEST!! Same with the Brian Jacques books and Frank Peretti.
I wonder, is there anyone who wants to express their opinion?

By Baggins (Baggins) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

I love Lord of the Rings. I got into those books before the movies came out. I had planned to read them but never got around to it. Then I heard the first movie was comming out in like 6 days. I got through almost all of the Fellowship before I went to see it. I finished the rest of the books afterwards. I love the books and I love the movies.

Harry Potter is a good series too. It is fun to try to figure out whats going to happen next and waiting for the next book. I was a little disappointed with the last one. Rowling had a deadline and I think she would have done better if she had more time. I like reading them over agian and spotting all the forshadowing she puts in the books. I would highly recommend that you read the books. As for the movies if you read the books prepare for major disappointment especially after how well the Lord of the Rings movies came out.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Apples? Oranges? Both.

By Flipflops (Flipflops) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Do you think it's kinda freaky how Harry has a mark on his forehead? Though I guess you would only think that if you knew about the mark of the beast. Brrrr! lol. It can't be that bad. What's it for anyway?

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

The mark on Harry's forehead was created when the evil wizard (sorry I can't think of the name right now, I'm not THAT much of a fan) killed his parents and tried to kill him. I'm pretty sure that it was kind of like a bolt of energy that ended up leaving a lighting shaped scar on his forehead.

By Flipflops (Flipflops) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Ah, I see. Thank you!

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

i have a crush on daniel radcliffe

and that came out of nowhere :X

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

how can you judge what you like and dont like without reading the books? meh i liked both

btw its Voldemort (sp?)

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Thanks, somecanadianguy. For some reason I was drawing a blank. Maybe it's because it is like 100 degrees in my office. ;-)

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Voldemort.

Die-hard HP fan here. Refuse to watch or read LOTR even though they went major movie awards. Beautiful from what I've seen but I don't think I can relate myself to the Hobbits!!! Just very, very loyal.

My father is addicted to LOTR movies and records them when they come on tv. I think he may have read one or two books in the old days. But he also has read HP and seen all of the movies too. Has no preference for either because both of them are very well-done.

The last book gave me chills!!! But I was disappointed that the ball did not really start rolling until like page 300 something. My dad hated HP's behavior and thought he was being a brat!

We've got June 4th blocked out for the movie! I'm leaving school early and he's leaving work early to catch the first show!

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

Please say you wont dress up, or I'll hunt you down and kill you:)

By Baggins (Baggins) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

I am so mad because my parents won't let me get out of school to watch the movie. Plus I have Exams that week. When I went to see Return of the King I had to drive for 30 min. to the movies and it had sold out. Fortunately a guy had some friends who couldn't come so he sold me their tickets. I doubt I will have that kind of luck this time.=(

Ticklemepink: You should at least watch the movies. Hobbits are the normal people that just want to be left alone. I can relate to that. If you read the books (I admit they aren't as captivating as HP) you'll see that you can relate the story to anything once you think about it. Thats how Tolkien wanted it to be.

HP fans: Any predictions for whats going to happen in the 6th book? I think somethings going to happen between Ron and Hermione. I really don't like Harry anymore (he has become an egotistical jerk) and I think thats what Rowling wants everyone to think. My thoughts are that she is going to kill Harry in the 7th book. It makes it easier for her to do it if the fans don't like the main character. Plus anyone remember Dumbledore saying that if Harry didn't defeat Voldemort someone else would?

By Ndcountrygirl (Ndcountrygirl) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Isn't it if Harry can't defeat Voldemort then no one else can? The prophecy in book 5 said "one must die so the other may live"

I don't like Dumbledore anymore...he never tells Harry anything, until the end of the books after all the disasters. Don't they every talk otherwise?

Anyway, the point of my post was to say I've noticed the same people love and are obsessed with LOTR and HP...and then the rest of the population really doesn't care one way or the other.

By Mac87 (Mac87) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Dumbledore said that either Harry would have to kill Voldemort or he would kill Harry; and I don't think she will kill Harry because there are a lot of people who get mad if she did

By Wutdeh (Wutdeh) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

A song of ice and fire by George RR Martin trumps both.

LOTR is an excellent classic though, and should be revered as such.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

I loved all the HP books- read them way too many times.. I loved the 5th one too. She is such a good writer; I was afraid that she would write him off as always outgoing and happy and protecting him, but she didnt this book- writers should never protect the best characters. Yeah Rowling!!

By Esmeralda1 (Esmeralda1) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I love both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but I prefer Harry Potter because I personally am obsessed with the world JK Rowling has created - all the details of it and how it all fits together.
I don't really like to compare the two, though, because I think the series are really different, even if they do both include magic and fantasy

By Baggins (Baggins) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Dumbledor did say something like that but not in the 5th book. It may have been in the fourth book.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

no offense to lord of the rings fans...but the lord of the rings books are kinda slow and boring...while harry potter on the other hand is MUCH MORe EXCITING!

lord of the rings movies were better than the books

harry potter books were better than the movies...

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Ok, I have to add to this discussion. I'm mostly a HP fan but I love the Lord of the Rings too. First of all, to all LOTR fans who haven't read HP, you should. Don't put something down u haven't read. Same goes to HP fans who haven't read LOTR. Read both before you pick a favorite. Then you can express ur opinion in an educated way.
HP is definitely an easier read and more fastpaced, but I also love the beautiful language in LOTR. They both have their good points and it depends on the type of reader you are. One is not better than the other, it all depends on the person reading them.
BTW, it's in the 5th book that Harry must defeat Voldemort, it's in a prophecy.
I, too, agree that the series are different and can't really be compared. Like I said, it all depends on the person.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

I am a Lord of the Rings fanatic. I saw the fellowship 5 times in the theater, the two towers 4 times in the theater, i have seen the return of the king 8 times in the theater, and i have watchted them at home an innumerable number of times. I have read each book five times. I am in love with viggo mortensen. I think they are the best books ever written and the best movies ever made, every password and username i have is somehow related to lord of the rings.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I would have to agree with Sarasote that the LOTR movies were better than the books and that the HP books were (much) better than the movies.

I have read The Hobbit, and have gotten half-way through each the Fellowship, Two Towers, and ROTK (I always attempt to read them after I watch the movie). However, they're too boring for me to finish! I think that the style of Tolkien is beautiful and all, but I would liken reading the books to reading a textbook. It's not that I'm an impatient reader either who can't handle the language (I've read many Dickens' works, unabridged, as well as Les Miserables, Count of Monte Cristo, etc.) For me, the LOTR books are just missing a certain spark which usually keeps me going in lengthy books, but I'm not sure what that spark is. LOTR books aren't even that lengthy! However, I love the story I LOVE the movies and the HP movies lose to LOTR. However, I feel that JKR has woven together an intricate and exciting storyline for her series and I can't wait to see it unfold!

By Dswmo456 (Dswmo456) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

Harry Potter rules. As does Lord of the Rings, but I only saw the movies so I got pretty confused. I couldn't ever get into LOTR as much because I like contemporary stuff much better. I guess I like to pretend Harry Potter and Hogwarts and stuff really exist. It's not important, but HP's my personal favorite. Oh, and Harry will be going out with Ron's sister and Ron will be going out with Hermoine in the next book GAURUNTEED. If I'm wrong you can come to my house and torture me in my sleep.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I don't know about Ginny and Harry but Ron and Hermoine definately. I think JKR has been hinting it in the movies.

By Coqui (Coqui) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

I read the first 3 HP books around sixth/seventh grade. I'm gonna be senior and unfortunately must admit I've read all the HP books. I feel it's pointless to start a series and not finish it. Plus, I hardly read (only for school). I'm a science/math person and believe literature is ovverrated and pointless...DEATH to LIT!!! Uhhhhhh.....sorry....just an opinion...kind of stupid to say when discussing books....

Anyways, I tried reading the LOTR books but my GOd are they long and boring. Never got around to finishing the Fellowship, but loved the movies. (I did read The Hobbit if that counts for anything.)

Which is better? well...
LOTR
good: better effects, more serious and moving
bad: not much..maybe it's too serious, and boring, at time for kids

HP
good: fun, fast, gets people in touch with inner child..or whatever it's called
bad: cheesy sometimes, not exactly Oscar caliber acting

Final verdict: LOTR
Reason: I'd rather see Legolas's bow than Harry's wand...

By Glinda (Glinda) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Any other Snape fans here? Hey, people call me crazy, but I can't see how people don't like him (and not just because of that horrible scene in OotP! I liked him before then!). He's doing so much for the Order and putting himself at risk by being a spy. At the same time, he hates himself for being a Death Eater in the first place. Plus, his whole evil attitude is awesome!

Personally, I think Harry sacrificing himself in the 7th book would be a good ending.

Ron and Hermione can't die because they have to get married and have lots of Weasley children.

Dumbledore will die. Lupin will kill Wormtail, and then maybe die (or if not, marry Tonks).

Oh, and Percy's going over to the dark side. I've said it since book 2!

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

lol i like snape also. he reminds me of the teacher in FRINDLE if you have ever read the book (extremely 5th grade-like book but still)

LOVE LOTR. saw the movies, read the books

i love em both. they are two different categories and have entities of their own.

By Victimofapathy (Victimofapathy) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

"and believe literature is ovverrated and pointless...DEATH to LIT!!! "
.....I won't even comment on this....

Anyway, I ADORE the Harry Potter series. I began reading them in the third grade, and I've just finished re-reading the entire series to date. My personal favorites are Fred and George, and Ron, because I have a thing for funny redheads. I honestly laugh out loud at some of the things Fred and George say. I also love Sirius. He's just....sexiness. But I'm finding it hard to come to terms with his death. The first two HP movies sucked, badly. I'm hoping the third one will be better, because of the new director and the greatness of the third book.
I've seen the beginning of the LOTR movies, but I never had time to watch the whole thing. I started the books in 6th grade, but I was bored to tears and just gave up on it, which isn't something I usually do when it comes to reading. I suppose I'll have to read it someday, just so I can tell off this moron in my math class who's read Harry Potter and still worships LOTR. I'll have a lot of free time this summer, so maybe I'll get around to it then.

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Agree with whoever said this:

LOTR:
Movies better than books

Harry Potter:
Books BETTER than movies (but I am still excited about the movies)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page