Great little film

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Great little film
By Elleneast (Elleneast) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

I just saw The Triplets of Belleville on DVD. What a fun and quirky little animated film.

Any other recommendations from the crowd?

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

If you have not seen Spellbound, I recommend it. One of my S's friends is in it, too!

O Brother Where Art Thou is a very entertaining retelling of the Odyssey and has a wonderful soundtrack. My kids had fun trying to spot the references to the Odyssey.

I have not seen it yet, but people highly recommend L'Auberge Espanole about students doing overseas studies--great way to prepare oneself for kids going off on semester abroad.

By Itziar (Itziar) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

YES! I LOVE L'AUBERGE ESPAGNOLE! It's so funny and the soundtrack is fabulous!

By Taru (Taru) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

...but some parts are quite risque, lol.

Still, I highly recommend it, too.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

"Twenty Bucks". It's been around for some time, but it's one of those addictive films you wish would keep going on and on. Can be bought on Amazon

Steve Buscemi, Brendan Fraser, Gladys Knight, Elizabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd, and William H. Macy---how could it not be good?

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

I LOVE Triplets of Belleville. Just bought it last week and have already seen it 4 times. Also bought the soundtrack haha. Highly reccommended.

By Anngold (Anngold) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

'Cosi' is a great film!

Also, I highly recommend 'The Red Violin'

By Benzo415 (Benzo415) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Triplets is awesome, the main song is so infectuous yet wonderful! Spellbound is a great movie as well.

Another under-the-radar film I would recommend is "Good-Bye Lenin." I just saw it tonight, it was awesome.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

The Parlor is a film short (~15 minutes) that has been winning some contests... you can probably find it online for free.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

Any Noam Chomsky Documentary.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Everyone watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show! It is really really strange but it's great for just that reason!

By Perry (Perry) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Lord, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." That thing just won't fade away. I remember it coming out for the first time when I was in high school.

By Vedaine (Vedaine) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

hehe Rocky Horror just isn't the same unless you see it at midnight every other saturday night... in costume... ah cult classics rock.

By Taru (Taru) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

^ You can do that in Harvard Square! The show never ends.... (I write this since your profile says you're gonna be in the area at M.I.T. next yr. =) )

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

Damn, I wish I would've read this post before I went out. I just rented "Amadeus" because I couldn't think of anything else, but I've been wanting to see "Rocky Horror Picture Show" for years.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Renting RHPS just doesn't cut it. 90% of the movie is the audience interaction. Watch it in the theater (a surprising number offer midnight showings). Cult classic.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

Yea the midnight showings are awesome... the audience partcipation makes it 200 times more fun! There is actually a theatre near where I live in St. Louis that does a live play of it! My sister and I are going to that next halloween. I lobe RHPS, it's weird sister bonding thing for my sis and I.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page