Paper or Plastic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Paper or Plastic?
By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

hmm?

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Wow, that's a tough one. Both are really bad for the environment... hmm... plastic?

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Paper- it can be recycled easier.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Unfortunately most of the stores I go to have quit giving the option, so it's always plastic.

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Hands/reusable containers (baskets, backpacks, handtrucks, wagons, caravans, reservoirs)

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

The deep-fried skins of a thousand baby seals.

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Oh, damn, Purgeofdoors! Only a thousand?!

I didn't make the connection to grocery bags at first, but after Demingy said "stores" it clicked. We always get plastic because that's all Safeway/Vons offers. We used to ask for paper because we could use them around the house but not any more. Shame really. Plastic bags are so junky.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

at this upper end thrift store i frequent in long beach, CA, called the buffalo exchange offers a bag or a chip. you can get a bag to carry out the stuff you bought or you can get a chip which you can put in one of a few boxes by the door. for every chip the buffalo exchange has in a box, they donate 5 cents to the charity labeled on the box. i guess that's about how much they pay for bags, so it saves them money and donates to a worthy cause!

so to answer your question, chips!!!... or paper at the grocery store for me.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

We use both. Plastic for doggy ( poop) bags and paper for garbage.
I also have canvas shopping bags but do I ever remember to bring them?
I remember having to haul milk bottles back and forth when the coop I shopped at required you to ( and that was the only way they sold milk)
so much nicer to buy cartons, even though I kinda liked the clank, heavy though.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Paper for buying groceries. I hate plastic bags, because they never break down and are horrible for the environment. Whenever I get a plastic bag from a clothing store purchase I always find a way to reuse it.

YAY for recycling!

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

Wow, that's great. I first just skimmed it and read only this "buffalo chips" but then when I went back and re-read it, well, it sounds like a great plan. You guys have Trader Joe's up there? It's kind of a high end market place. Good stuff. I'm amazed they don't do something like that. It sounds very Trader Joe's-ish.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

I think most grocery stores do credit you $.04 a bag if you bring your own.
You can either take it off your bill or donate it to the charity of the month.

By Allena (Allena) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

To be honest, I pick which one makes more economical sense for me at the time.

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Paper-for a few reasons. One, the thought of my grocery bag being on earth longer than I disturbs me. Two, when you live on the third story of an apartment building with no elevator, you want to carry as much stuff as possible at one time. Paper are bigger.
I love the buffalo exchange too! Hurray for thrift stores.

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I've never heard of a store that credits $.04 for using ones' own bags! that's nifty. I'm assuming it must be some sort of local thing?

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Paper because we double it for newspaper recycling.

Back in Pennington, NJ, our market allowed my mom to bring in her canvas bags instead of using paper or plastic bags. Now Wegmans... being a mogul it is... isnists on either one. No canvas.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

A store in my area used to credit $.05 for bringing your own bag. Unfortunately they went out of business (although I'm sure that didn't have to do with it because hardly anyone used it). I think Wild Oats does something similar (not sure if everyone has those or not).

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Paper

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

i was a cashier, we were told to offer the option but to preferably use plastic because it is much cheaper

i love when i ask 'paper or plastic' and they respond 'bag'

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

PAPER

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

That's funny Seleucus! I like paper better because it doesn't mutilate my hands, especially the heavy bags .

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

plastic. you can carry like 10 bags at onces with plastic.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

paper

By Brockpojo767 (Brockpojo767) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

paper. you can cover your books with it

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

I prefer paper, too. It burns MUCH easier.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Paper. You don't die when you put your head in it. (don't ask)

By Televelis (Televelis) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:28 am: Edit

paper... and when we buy groceries, you can donate .05 per bag you reuse to various donations.

(I live in Oregon... what do you expect?)

By Gidget (Gidget) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

This is a little lost on me, maybe it's the Canadian thing but we only have plastic bags at all the stores I shop at. No Frills grocery store here is the best, to encourgae people to bring thier own bags by charging you .05 cents for a bag from the cashier. So you can bring your own, buy one or use one of the boxes from the bins (these are boxes that held the products when they came to the store)

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

Paper... like from certain stores in the mall, the big paper bags have hot people on them i.e. Abercrombie...... The plastic bags only have the name of the store. Not cute!

By Priglet (Priglet) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

paper inside plastic. i'm serious.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

BOTH...
shopping for clothes: Paper
Shopping for Food and other items: Plastic

if shopping for clothes, it just honestly looks tacky to use plastic, and the paper bags they give don't tear apart cuz' the papers a bit thicker and the clothes are obviously not wet

its just common sense to use plastic when trying to carry wet items such as milk, beer, produce.

just about all the bags i get i save and use them for lunch, projects, whatever whenever however...but lets be honest plastic kicks ass :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page