Summer internships/jobs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Summer internships/jobs
By Tobes (Tobes) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

All the summer jobs out there seem to be geared towards either high schoolers or college students. But what about people in between: graduating high school seniors? I dont want a job at the local mini-mart but apparently you need to be at least a sophomore in college to get a good summer internship. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Notes about me:
I'm 18, the job can be non-paid, I have a car for commuting, I have previous volunteer experience working with horses and special needs kids, i live in nj (nyc area), and im interested in jobs in advertising (the artistic side, not the marketing side) and broadcast media/politics

any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Did you try calling local advertising agencies?
Or you might might want to look at One earth one mission (I think thats what it's called) They have a lot of internships. Or check out the TV stations arund you. I live in LA and I know a lot of people that have been PAs for the summer and stuff like that.

By Tobes (Tobes) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

i have looked into local stations and agencies but i always get the same deal: paper-pusher and coffee-fetcher or no job. i'd rather sit around in my house all summer. i will look into that one earth thing though--i hadnt heard of that before. thanks for the advice!

anybody else have some thoughts?

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Work with a local politician. You probably wouldn't get a whole lot of interesting work in advertising -- mostly paper pushing or coffee fetching like you mentioned above. What about an internship with Air America Radio? They're politics and advertising and in NYC. Probably would depend on your political beliefs though.

By Tobes (Tobes) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

air america sounds like a great idea! I'm definitely gonna look into that. Thanks!

By Baggins (Baggins) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

My parents don't want me to do an internship but I might go ahead and do it anyways. Do they require parent signatures for people under 18?

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Probably, depending on where you want to do it. I would explain your situation to whomever you want to intern with. They might be not want you then, but at least it woudln't bite you in the behind later. The internship I'm going to do next year at Univ. of San Diego requires parental consent just because it's very time consuming.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

just try calling different advertising firms. I am a graduating senior (soon to be college freshman) and I wanted an intership at an investment bank. I called around, I got an interview, and I got the job. All it takes is a little work.

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

Oops, my third sentence up there's confusing "They might not want you then, but at least it wouldn't bite you in the behind later."

Just make sure you're honest and show them how much you want to work with them. Like Bern700 said, it just takes a little work.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

It will be hard for me to get a signature from my parents anyway because I will be in MA and my parents will be in VA.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page